how do you calculate the resale value

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepanshus

May 26, 2009
Singapore
i am quite confused the way the lenses are marked for price in resale.

I was looking for a 35mm 1.8 Nikkor piece and i can get a new one in 360 ~ 380.

Now what in your opinion should be the price of a used lens,

1 month =?
6 month =?
Over year =?

i quoted 290 for one offer and 280 for another and all i got was ":bigeyes:" and ":sweatsm:"

One of the offer ,
Equipment Type: Lens
Equipment Brand: Nikon
Equipment Model: AFS Nikkor 35mm 1:1.8G
Price (S$): 340

Why on earth would anyone buy a "used" piece for so close a price of a new one !! And, yet its reserved for viewing :think:

Maybe their lens was bought but never used? that is why they are looking at $340??? can only guess, if you find got value then buy else might as well buy new since it is not too far off from getting new. I would definitely get new not worth the hassle with warranty and missing papers lah.. no box lah.. etc..

../azul123

Maybe their lens was bought but never used? that is why they are looking at $340??? can only guess, if you find got value then buy else might as well buy new since it is not too far off from getting new. I would definitely get new not worth the hassle with warranty and missing papers lah.. no box lah.. etc..

../azul123

a 2nd hand is a 2nd hand

i am quite confused the way the lenses are marked for price in resale.

I was looking for a 35mm 1.8 Nikkor piece and i can get a new one in 360 ~ 380.

Now what in your opinion should be the price of a used lens,

1 month =?
6 month =?
Over year =?

i quoted 290 for one offer and 280 for another and all i got was ":bigeyes:" and ":sweatsm:"

One of the offer ,
Equipment Type: Lens
Equipment Brand: Nikon
Equipment Model: AFS Nikkor 35mm 1:1.8G
Price (S$): 340

Why on earth would anyone buy a "used" piece for so close a price of a new one !! And, yet its reserved for viewing :think:

yap tht's true, there r sellers out there at CS that jus think others r stupid.

eg there's an item bought brand new is $118 but the person wanna sell a 2 yr old one for $100. tht's crap man.

I've had the same type of reply as you last time. well it's their choice to choose their price and it's also the buyers choice to wanna buy at tht price or not lah.

but u sure about the new piece rite? sekali ur price is on AFD, i'm jus assuming, dnt really know got AFD for 35mm f1.8 or not :)

yap tht's true, there r sellers out there at CS that jus think others r stupid.

eg there's an item bought brand new is $118 but the person wanna sell a 2 yr old one for $100. tht's crap man.

I've had the same type of reply as you last time. well it's their choice to choose their price and it's also the buyers choice to wanna buy at tht price or not lah.

but u sure about the new piece rite? sekali ur price is on AFD, i'm jus assuming, dnt really know got AFD for 35mm f1.8 or not :)

FYI.. 35 prime for DX only comes in G version

To TS :
Maybe condition was close to mint, aging nt so long and the lens is hard to get in the mkt, ppl still grab :)

Guess its all down to supply and demand. Some lenses hold their value better than others. Having said that a 2nd hand item should logically cost quite a lot less than new

Understand your frustration with the replies but end of the day you don't need to buy from them if you think its too expensive and likewise they don't need to sell if price is too low.

yeah i agree that at some periods the lens might be hard to come by....but still my initial question, whats the fair value for 35mm 1.8 Nikon
1 month =?
6 month =?
Over year =?

I generally use the Double Decline Depreciation (aka Declining Balance) method to establish the benchmark for the item. If the price is close to that, then I would consider buying. Know that sometimes folks establish high prices like the some black shops in SLS to trap ignorant buyers. "Reserved for viewing" tatics for these items are the equivalent of SLS black shop salesman telling you that this camera or lens is lengendary and edition is limited. Hahaha... :bsmilie:This is nothing new, buyers just have to be wary of wolves in sheep clothings by checking the recommended retail prices before concluding on the value of the resale item. :)

a resale item has to be at least 20% cheaper than a new piece, otherwise i wont even consider it. should cost even less if it's out of warranty, or a few years old. the 2nd hand market on CS is seriously whacked...

buy new!

a resale item has to be at least 20% cheaper than a new piece, otherwise i wont even consider it. should cost even less if it's out of warranty, or a few years old. the 2nd hand market on CS is seriously whacked...

buy new!

:cheers: so glad to hear that - couldnt agree less

and ironically there is just another thread for "lowballing" :) i guess thats the seller's thread and this one is the buyer's thread...

buy new!
Not all items lah... some appreciate leh, like CV 125mm excellent macro lens.

../azul123

Assuming that the useful life span of the lens is 10 years (or 120 months), and that the recommended retail price of Nikkor AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G: SGD 399.00 (source: Nikon Singapore), the lens sold within the 1 year period should be priced around SGD 200.00.

I know some folks will argue on the intangibility or aesthetic aspects of the items being sold. But buyers like me buy a lens only to take pictures and not frame them in trophies in galleries or museums for adoration; therefore, I price goods based purely on functional value.

Hence the double decline depreciation.

Last edited:
if your budget is 300 for a 2ndhand 35mm f1.8 G lens, i'd suggest you just get a new one... they got 1pc left in AP funan, i was there yesterday. it's priced around 370-360... try negotiating. i got mine for a lower price...

1 month =?
6 month =?
Over year =?
1 month = new value /1.8 * pi * omega * gamma * 2.48125

6 months = new value/1.8 * pi * omega * gamma * 4.28334 - 150

over year = new value/1.8 * pi * omega * gamma * 8.10923 - 800 :devil:

Assuming that the useful life span of the lens is 10 years (or 120 months), and that the recommended retail price of Nikkor AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G: SGD 399.00 (source: Nikon Singapore), the lens sold within the 1 year period should be priced around SGD 200.00.

I know some folks will argue on the intangibility or aesthetic aspects of the items being sold. But buyers like me buy a lens only to take pictures and not frame them in trophies in galleries or museums for adoration; therefore, I price goods based purely on functional value.

Hence the double decline depreciation.
That means I can buy a 10 year old lens for free?????

It is approximately the fourier transform of inverse logarithm of inflation, time, quantum decay of U-235 used in extremely minute quantity, factoring in usage, condition and price of new one in shop, desperation of seller measured in hearthache, desire of seller to upgrade and eagerness of buyer measured in acceleration of drool in cubic millimiter per hour

Anyone interested in buying my lengendary F4? The metering and shutter is gone and the spares are out of production. Although it is not a Leica or even a Rollei, it is a piece of legend by itself through the photographic history and I'm actually quite unwilling to let it go.

SGD 8,000 or higher bid. COD terms. 1 week personal warranty. Original warranty card is unfilled.

Lowballers stay out!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.