How do you bring your camera equipment to another country?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2008
Hey everyone,

Got an urgent question here. will be flying by SQ to switzerland this wed, it's my first time bringing my camera equipment abroad, and according to the Cabin Baggage guidelines, we are only allowed to bring "a small digital camera" on board. How is this so and what did u guys do? i've written an email to their ppl, but i don't think they'll get back so soon. Would really appreciate comments.

Thanks for your help and kind attention.

whatcamerashouldibuy

just use a cam bag that fits the overhead compartment size.
no issue about the small or big camera thingie.
tripods/monopods do check in.

Wrong forum. And yes, you can carry a whole bag with your DSLR and lenses, along with tripod and such.

okay, so we just need to make sure that our camera bag is within the size allowance? i'm currently using a Rover AW Plus. Can fit?

Sorry, which forum do i post such a thread then?

P.S , would they tighten the security? when did u guys last bring you cam stuff and pass through the security?

Last edited:
You can post in 'Kopitiam' next time.
Yea, I've a bag bigger than yours, and there aren't problems. Don't check in your tripod, carry in with you on board.

:thumbsup:

okay, sorry, cause i thought it was somewhat related to travel, will post in kopitian next time.
just wondering, would the security have tighten? when was the last time you brought the big bag and the tripod up the plane? u flew by which airline/ i have a feeling that SQ is quite strict with these stuff.

okay, sorry, cause i thought it was somewhat related to travel, will post in kopitian next time.
just wondering, would the security have tighten? when was the last time you brought the big bag and the tripod up the plane? u flew by which airline/ i have a feeling that SQ is quite strict with these stuff.

I flew with United Airlines, which is definitely alot stricter in terms of security... Everyone was told to turn on their laptops for inspection, take off shoes/belts etc. I flew 4 months ago.

If you want a peace of mind, just call them up, don't email, cause it takes far too long.

oh okay. what bag did u carry up the plane btw? mine's the Rover AW Plus not the Rover AW II, which is smaller in size...

I flew with United Airlines, which is definitely alot stricter in terms of security... Everyone was told to turn on their laptops for inspection, take off shoes/belts etc. I flew 4 months ago.

If you want a peace of mind, just call them up, don't email, cause it takes far too long.

hey... and thanks for your help, really appreciate it.

Nobody bothers much about DSLR. Only once I was asked to switch on the cam to show that it's a working one (for whatever reason). Just got some puzzled looks from customs officer cause the display kept dark :bsmilie:
Most airlines don't allow tripods in cabin luggage. Be prepared for check in and have it either in your check-in luggage or in tripod bag.

Hi, I flew SQ when I went to Germany the other time and packed my DLSR, spare lens, lens cleaning kit into my Primus AW. There's no problem with it with the security check. As for tripod/monopod, you will have to check it in.;)

Nobody bothers much about DSLR. Only once I was asked to switch on the cam to show that it's a working one (for whatever reason). Just got some puzzled looks from customs officer cause the display kept dark :bsmilie:
Most airlines don't allow tripods in cabin luggage. Be prepared for check in and have it either in your check-in luggage or in tripod bag.

haha .okay.. lol. gotta fill the customs officer in on how to use it ...

Hey everyone,

Got an urgent question here. will be flying by SQ to switzerland this ..............

whatcamerashouldibuy

HI!

Just wanted to share my xp.

I went to Zurich by SQ 2 months ago.

For my tripod, I stored it in my main checked-in luggage.

No problems (to and return flight) bringing all my DSLR, lenses, charger and batteries in my Lowepro bag as a hand carry item. I believe it is more important that your camera bag can fit into the overhead compartment.

They are also quite lenient with the weight, can exceed the 6kg....Hint Hint.....;)

BTW, Switzerland is much dryer than humid Singapore so the dust problem is much worse. What I mean is that in humid countries, dust particles tend to stick together or fall to the ground easily due to the moisture in the air. In dry countries such as Switzerland, there are endless tons of dust particles in the air!!!!

So remember to bring your blower and lenspen as the front element always seems to attract dust. I also tried my best to avoid changing lenses in the field. The reflection from the snow or Sun is also very glaring and I really highly recommend a Polarising Filter.

Wish you a safe and happy trip in Switzerland!

Last edited:
Brought my dslr with 2 lenses on aircraft many times before. No problems as long you can fit into hand carry bag. Usually check in my tripod.
Had problem with the dust blower in hand carry while going through the Xray machine once before. Had to search through my whole bag before finding the "offending item". They thought it looked like a grenade so now I check it in as well to avoid the unnecessary hassle.

Last edited:
Brought my dslr with 2 lenses on aircraft many times before. No problems as long you can fit into hand carry bag. Usually check in my tripod.
Had problem with the dust blower in hand carry while going through the Xray machine once before. Had to search through my whole bag before finding the "offending item". They thought it looked like a grenade so now I check it in as well to avoid the unnecessary hassle.
Are you kidding? A grenade? LOL.

Most airlines would allow you to carry your DSLR on board as long as your bag fits into the overhead compartment. DON'T EVER CHECK IN YOUR CAMERA. You don't want it to be stolen.

Did u guys Check in the tripod head too? i want to bring it onboard though, not sure if it's allowed.

my experience:

a computrekker aw with 2 camera bodies, 3 lens, flash, lambency, 3 camera batts, 3 sets of AA batts (4pcs each), rocket blower (i am surprised nobody asked me what is that rocket shape thing in my bag...), camera batt charger, AA batt charger on board Jetstar and Cebu Pacific. :sweat::sweat:

Not once did anyone raise an eyebrow..... since budget airlines are very strict on weight and dimensions of carry-on luggage and I pass both, i believe SQ will give you no problem with your bag and gears.:thumbsup:

Even my friend managed to carry on his guitar!

wow. that's quite a lot of stuff. it's actually really depending on which customs officer you get.

Anyone brought your tripod head onboard the airplane?

while on trip to Hanoi...Tiger Airways/Budget Terminal officials allowed us to bring in our tripods....

on way back, Vietnamese officers face black face smell ordered us to check them in...(tripod wise)

Status
Not open for further replies.