How do you bring your camera equipment to another country?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow. that's quite a lot of stuff. it's actually really depending on which customs officer you get.

Anyone brought your tripod head onboard the airplane?

er.....not really......there is no restriction on camera gears....you are only limited by weight and dimension which is imposed by airline to save fuel and make more $$ by asking u to pay $$ for excess weight....haha

not yet tried...but i heard some ppl did...though i not sure if the tripod is really the small types? :dunno:

I just flew Qantas to Australia, carried my tripod in a Manfrotto MBag80 into the cabin with me. I did check with them first.

I even used the tripod during the flight, to sunrise photos out of the window.

I just flew Qantas to Australia, carried my tripod in a Manfrotto MBag80 into the cabin with me. I did check with them first.

I even used the tripod during the flight, to sunrise photos out of the window.

u can deploy your tripod in the confined spaces of the airplane???????? :bigeyes:

unless u r taking first-class or business-class.....else...how do u do that?

Don't worry too much.

For me, its just 1 camera, 2 lenses, no flash, 1 tripod all in a Lowepro Photorunner. That's usually my setup when I'm overseas anyway.

u can deploy your tripod in the confined spaces of the airplane???????? :bigeyes:

unless u r taking first-class or business-class.....else...how do u do that?

yea how'd do you do that?

Using a 190CXPro, I was in a window seat, economy class. It was a bit of a tight fit, good thing I am quite slim! :bsmilie: Legs were all over the place, the horizontal column helped.

One of the stewards was a shutter bug, ended up chatting about cameras for quite a while.

check in your AA batteries. some do not allow AA batteries. including rechargeable.
weird.

Using a 190CXPro, I was in a window seat, economy class. It was a bit of a tight fit, good thing I am quite slim! :bsmilie: Legs were all over the place, the horizontal column helped.

One of the stewards was a shutter bug, ended up chatting about cameras for quite a while.

wow......u can deploy a tripod in economy class seating!! u must be the record-holder for deploying a tripod in the most confined area....haha

legs? tripod legs or your legs? haha

wow......u can deploy a tripod in economy class seating!! u must be the record-holder for deploying a tripod in the most confined area....haha

legs? tripod legs or your legs? haha

Both!! I will post a photo when I am back in Singapore.

Back to topic, it is best to check with the airline itself. Also, you might want to check out the places you are going to. At one time, some Mid East countries did not allow you to carry flim loaded in cameras.

I fly SQ most of the time and I have no problem with my Lens Trekker 600. On top of that, I carry my cameras and smaller lenses in a computer bag.
If ever they ask you to check in your expensive gear, explain to them nicely that they are very sensitive (and expensive) equipment...I am sure they will understand.
Happy Holidays....;)

Hi guys, need to check if a bag exceeding 115cm (restriction imposed by airlines) will pass the hand carry inspection (SIA). I intend to get a Photo Trekker AW II (Lowepro), but its size exceeds airline requirements.

Will it pass?

Just came back from a short trip to KL / Penang / Bali
Flew using Tiger Air and Air Asia

For bags with camera stuff, if you exceed the weight restriction, just strap the DSLR on your neck and a mid tele lens, that should take out 1 to 2 KGs,

Always check in your tripod, if the security officer's mode isn't good its just more complication and agony for yourself on your trip. You can request the airport officer to tape your bag "fragile". I don't know how well that helped, but so far so good for me **touch wood**

For Tripod heads, I just keep them inside my bag together with my other lenses for Hand Cary, the heads after all are more fragile than the legs, as they will be operating at higher precision requirements

No issue with a laptop, DSLR, clothes, a book and a change of clothes.

Travelled with a backpack with all these, plus a torch to Berlin, Seoul, Oz, NZ and Beijing. All in economy SIA.

A quick question here for the guys who own big glass...

I have an EF 500mm f4L IS USM which I am going bring back to the UK and along with that I have a large Gitzo tripod with the attached Wimberley Gimbal head. The lens is not much of a problem, but the tripod... Any ideas?

The weight is not much of an issue, its the dimensions that kills us.
During check in, there is a 'test box' that allows you to place your hand carry items in it.
If it fails to get in, you have to check it in!

For delicate items, we would like to carry them, in the Gimbal head, I suggest you pack it well and hand carry. Pack your tripod into check in to be safe. The trouble is not worth it to be told to check it in while in transit.

Travelled on various airlines over the past few years, including SIA, North West, JAL, China Airlines, Tiger Airways, Jetstar to Japan, China, Vietnam. SIA flight was to Shanghai.

Carried 1 SLR, 3-4 lenses, 1-2 P&S cameras, 1 tripod on board. 1-2 lenses and 1 P&S may be carried by family member to reduce the weight of my carry on.

Never had the carry on weighed before, sometimes may exceed 7kg. Never had problem with tripod, just put through X-ray like other luggage. Do not trust tripod with rough handling of check in luggage.

Got an urgent question here. will be flying by SQ to switzerland this wed, it's my first time bringing my camera equipment abroad, and according to the Cabin Baggage guidelines, we are only allowed to bring "a small digital camera" on board. How is this so and what did u guys do? i've written an email to their ppl, but i don't think they'll get back so soon. Would really appreciate comments.

you can bring all your camera gear along,

it is not an issue, seriously

anyways, for the people asking about HAND LUGGAGE SIZE, you can try your luck, as long as you seem to be able to handle it fine, they will not usually ask you to check it in. but note, it really depends on whether the staff wants to enforce the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.