How do you backup digital pics in Win XP so the picture details in Thumb.db show up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

midnitesun

Jun 25, 2003
Singapore for now.
Visit site
Can someone tell me how to backup pictures onto a CD rom in Windows XP that retains the Camera settings of a Canon 10D?

I tried burning a few times and each time the photo details disappeared. What I've been doing is dragging the folder with the pictures to the CD-ROM drive and when I am ready I go into the folder with Windows Explorer and then write. A message normally appears regarding details in Thumb.db may not be copied or something.

:cry:

Originally posted by midnitesun
Can someone tell me how to backup pictures onto a CD rom in Windows XP that retains the Camera settings of a Canon 10D?

I tried burning a few times and each time the photo details disappeared. What I've been doing is dragging the folder with the pictures to the CD-ROM drive and when I am ready I go into the folder with Windows Explorer and then write. A message normally appears regarding details in Thumb.db may not be copied or something.

:cry:

Thumbs.db have got nothing to do with the details part.... that's a cache for previewing pictures in explorer...

I think its the way you back up to your CDR (?).....

From the above, I'm still not sure how you 'burnt' your CDR....
Can you briefly describe how you burn and what sftware you useD?

If you are referring to the EXIF headers, the information will remain as long as you do not resave the original files except using programs that can retain the information. Even Photoshop 7 will loose some of the EXIF information but the basic information will still be there.

The thumb.db file, as someone mentioned, is a cache of the thumbnails created by Win XP. Note that this file (which can be quite large) is quite useless to anyone not running Win XP, and is easily corrupted as well. In other words, no point burning it into the CDROM.

You can generate the thumbnails on the fly when reading the CDROM. Alternatively, you can create a html thumbnail gallery of the pictures using any one of a number of freeware programs available. This will make the contents of the CDROM available in thumbnail form to any system reading the CDROM, including Macs.

Thank you all. At the end of the day I still want to be able to see the EXIF headers information Linse mentioned and backup the pictures with this info from my hard drive onto something more permanent. I tinker with my PC quite often and normally I mess it up so much I need to format the hard drive.

Mankul I just drag the folder to my the CDR drive in windows Explorer and when it asks me to write I reply okay in Windows XP.

Can anyone of you recommed a program that will allow me to burn the pictures on to a CD and retain the EXIF information?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

What i do is, i connect camera to PC, copy all files onto a folder, drag and drop this folder to he CD-R drive on Win XP.
I do not have any problems viewing the exif information. So much so that even if I post the images on my pbase gallery, on http://pbase.com/shas3n Go to singapore gallery. the website itself shows the shutter, ISO etc below the photo. Have a look at my gallery (not photos but at the exiff info;) ) photos are not worth seeing.
I guess you might be having some problems with some device drivers and they might need an update. Just a guess.

midnitesun,

Basically any CD authoring program will retain the EXIF information in you JPEG images, as long as they were there in the first place. For instance, earlier versions of Photoshop and many older image editing programs do not recognise the EXIF information and hence do not resave them after editing. The EXIF headers are part of the JPEG file and will definitely be intact if you have not edited your JPEG. Bear in mind that rotating them using WinXP will destroy the EXIF headers.

Once the images are burnt on a CDR, any program (like ACDSee) which can read EXIF information will be able to display the camera settings.

Originally posted by linse

Once the images are burnt on a CDR, any program (like ACDSee) which can read EXIF information will be able to display the camera settings.

yeah ACDSee ROX :D

I agree ACDSee rocks. I just need to reinstall it. Second question though. Is there anyway to instal ZoomBrowser 4.0 for a Canon S20 on the same PC as the ZoomBrowser for the 10d?

I agree ACDSee rocks. I just need to reinstall it. Second question though. Is there anyway to instal ZoomBrowser 4.0 for a Canon S20 on the same PC as the ZoomBrowser for the 10d?

I think the same copy can co-exist for both cameras. I used to use the same copy for both my old Powershot S10 and my current G3.

teL
-------------------
My G3 Gallery: http://engloy.elcreations.net

I never use the softwares in the CD provided when you purchase the digicam.....

what I do is to use a CF card reader and just copy and paste it from Windows Explorer.... much faster than the USB connection from the digicam...

Status
Not open for further replies.