How do you archive your images?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Deregistered
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
Just want to get some tips and suggestions...

I shoot RAW most of the time with the D30 and after downloading into my computer hard-disk, I still have to convert the images into TIFF format (original, uncorrected). Then I will go into PS and do my levels adjustment, USM, etc. and save it as a new TIFF format file (corrected). All in all, I have 3 very huge files for 1 image!! Now my hard-disk is about to "explode" with such images.

How do you all archive your images, say burn into a CD? All 3 such files or just the corrected TIFF format? Is it safe to delete the RAW images since they are effectively "useless" in a sense given that I have already got the converted TIFF format?

For me, anything goes.... everywhere get to store the final copy. Cos I don't keep raw snaps.

Using multiple PC harddisk, CDR, CDRW and VCD for my storay.

Originally posted by MaGixShOe
i guess he is just asking for others opinion
anyway i store them in cd-rw

but cdrw rather expensive leh...

since photos are supposed to be permanent info, i would suggest to burn into cheaper cdr instead...

Originally posted by ekardo

but cdrw rather expensive leh...

since photos are supposed to be permanent info, i would suggest to burn into cheaper cdr instead...
can get those cheaper ones lor
about $1.50 per piece, not so sure about the price

why i use cd-rw? i like the way that it can delete and add on new files everytime

Originally posted by David
Just want to get some tips and suggestions...

I shoot RAW most of the time with the D30 and after downloading into my computer hard-disk, I still have to convert the images into TIFF format (original, uncorrected). Then I will go into PS and do my levels adjustment, USM, etc. and save it as a new TIFF format file (corrected). All in all, I have 3 very huge files for 1 image!! Now my hard-disk is about to "explode" with such images.

How do you all archive your images, say burn into a CD? All 3 such files or just the corrected TIFF format? Is it safe to delete the RAW images since they are effectively "useless" in a sense given that I have already got the converted TIFF format?
Save the RAW and the corrected TIFF...that should suffice. Dun ever delete your RAWs...they are your 'negatives'.
And pray for the prices of DVDRs to drop.;)

Hi all, and esp zapp.... thanks. Yours is the suggestion I hope to get.

strange...why burn it in CD-RW which is less reliable, slower and more expensive?

I dun think u want to erase your photo after u store it in a CD rite? I will rather burn into a $0.40 CD-R

its slower and alittle more ex.

but i dun tink they are less reliable
just compare to the 40cents cd-r, i dun tink they are reliable anyway

currently, I store the photos on an external harddisk (fast and convenient to access). For the more important ones, I store them on CD-Rs/CD-RW too (in addition to the external harddisk). When the prices of DVD-RW drops, I might get one to store pics.

So far, I've kept all the photos on the harddisk. Might have to remove them to make way for more pics. File size of pics are actually not that big.... once, I was interested in video editing and the filesizes were in order of GBs!

Burning them onto a CDRW is staging if hdd space is a constrain. Cos the compilation will grow and organizing new photos onto a CDRW is possible since new directories will be created. Once the CDRW is full, simply CD Copy the CDRW to a CDR. In this way you save two things. Need to select which to save and how to maximize the use of the CDR space.

As for why CDRW over CDR, they are the same. It's the way we handle these media. A faulty CDRW drive can destroy CDR and CDRW equally well.

When I'm really in a good mood. I'll create VCD photo album to pass to ppl who dun have PC. Cos I'm a green person, dun wanna create all these printout to rot somewhere in an album.

Anway I'm feeling fiesty today and may not make sense. :what:

Originally posted by iamkinglee
Once the CDRW is full, simply CD Copy the CDRW to a CDR. In this way you save two things. Need to select which to save and how to maximize the use of the CDR space.

that's a good idea for those who dun have enough Harddisk space....just use a CD-RW as temporaily storage before burning it to CD-R

however....

its slower and alittle more ex.

but i dun tink they are less reliable
just compare to the 40cents cd-r, i dun tink they are reliable anyway

it is not only slower and more expensive...but the fact is that CDRW are really less reliable....so if your photos are very important, i will rather burn in CD-R...or even 2 copies just in case one of the CD-R spoil.

quoted from http://www.leppphoto.com/learn/articles/cdrw.htm

CD-RW discs use a phase-change reflective layer, which can change between a crystal (empty) and amorphous (recorded) phase. Because of the nature of this reflective layer, it is much more susceptible to damage from environmental factors, especially light and temperature. This results in much less stability than that offered by the reflective layer used in CD-R media.
The bottom line is that CD-RW does not offer the reliability necessary to make it appropriate for archival image storage, and should therefore not be used for any important data. I don't recommend using the for any purpose, especially considering the relatively low price for quality CD-R media.

For me, because i still have lots of free space in my harddisks, so I still have not sort out my photo and burn them into CD-R yet. i do have a delicated harddisk just for photo and then also backup these photo in my RAID array. Both the original and edited one.

Status
Not open for further replies.