How do you approach Strangers if you want to take photo of them?

How do you approach Strangers?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wai

Jan 17, 2002
South Pole with Penguin
singastro.org
esp when your camera is not very small...

I know many pple here have their ways of doing it.....share share leh...

that depends on what kind of photo you want to take.

If it's candid shots, of course you can't approach them and ask them politely! normally candid shots are the among the most beautiful of all pictures, i feel. Just lift your camera, and FIRE FIRE FIRE. then quickly pretend to look up and gaze OVER the subject. If he/she asks, just say, oh behind you got some really nice things.

If you want to do a posed portraiture, it helps if you can give some ID. like oh I'm from a magazine, or you can pretend to do some interview (your skin's so clear, what do you use, etc. etc.)

One thing about Singapore is that people here are very camera-shy. If you go overseas, they'll more than gladly pose for you, especially if they know you are a tourist. So tough luck, just keep on trying and you'll be rewarded though. I always believe in that.

If it's a digital cam like the Coolpixes, or the G2 with the swivel out LCD, just look down at the LCD and aim, at them pretend to poke a few buttons. That way if they notice you they might think you are just fiddling around. They might suspect, but the doubts will hold them back long enough for you to take a few shots.

Yours,
Kelvin

I don't know about Singapore.
But in Thailand, the people are so friendly that they will even smile when they know you are shooting them if you didn't ask them for permission.

I doubt the same will happen in Singapore, cause the attitude of people here is totally different.

Originally posted by nutz

I doubt the same will happen in Singapore, cause the attitude of people here is totally different.

ya lor...in S'pore..

stare stare also can get beaten up....

if u even take a camera to shoot at them...haha

anyone dare to take picture of a group of Ah bengs without asking?

Originally posted by kamwai

ya lor...in S'pore..

stare stare also can get beaten up....

if u even take a camera to shoot at them...haha

anyone dare to take picture of a group of Ah bengs without asking?

yeah, it's a total different experience. People in Thailand are more friendly and simple. Guess Singaporeans enjoy too good a life to share and care for others around them.

wait for my picture...i am as close as 2feet away from the police officer with my wide angle lense.....just 2feet....not meters..

i would be pointing my cam @ something else near them....then juz shoot and leave...if they noticed me...then i'd juz smile @ them...most of the time they don't notice cos i dun think they'd be thick-skinned enuff to say that I'm taking their pictures...heee~

Reminds me.... On saturady... Me was fiddling with my cam when this guy thought I was shooting him... Came over and ask me. When I say No and smile he left. But he keep looking at me as I'm finishing my cigarette...

Not easy to hide my gigantic D5... Usually I shoot and then run, or smile at them then take pic (During events) or shoot from hip. Having larger (pixels wise) pic allows you to crop more when shooting from hip. occasionally I'll use my 250mm and take picture of them from afar. Another way is to pretend to shoot something above them then look down and pretend to preview the image as you shoot them. And putting a flash unit that is bigger than your camera can give impression that you are some guy on a job, helps. Hee Hee

hi guys...just wanna share my methods.
i've just came back frm tokyo and the ppl there are very friendly.

for me, i try to ask them in their own tongue. i stick the phrase' can i take ur pic pls' behind my cam so i wont forget it.

at a rural area, i asked the older ppl and they agreed when they knew i can speak abit of jap and gladly posed for me.

cheers,
leonard

Me still don dare to ask for permission to take photos...usually me stand far away and try to zoom in as much as possible...
Even when taking children pic in bugis fountain, where lotsa ppl take photos of kids playing the water, I still stand at a distance and take...

Think me need to train to be a little more thick skin :p

Do U think Singapore gals will pose if I go to them and ask?

I usually ask my friend to stand in front of me and i pretend to take pic of him, but instead is zooming at the people behind him ;p

Originally posted by Klause
I usually ask my friend to stand in front of me and i pretend to take pic of him, but instead is zooming at the people behind him ;p

Wah good idea...maybe I'll try this :p

My preferred method is to use my 300mm from some distance and photograph them when they are unaware.

Indeed Singapore is like that loh..that is why...hehe
That is why I wanna get the teleconverter. hehe. So I can do that taking some distance away.

Originally posted by langzi
hi guys...just wanna share my methods.
i've just came back frm tokyo and the ppl there are very friendly.

for me, i try to ask them in their own tongue. i stick the phrase' can i take ur pic pls' behind my cam so i wont forget it.

at a rural area, i asked the older ppl and they agreed when they knew i can speak abit of jap and gladly posed for me.

cheers,
leonard

how? is it "kotogadekiru syashin wo taru shimasu desu ka."

Originally posted by Klause

Damn good idea.

i actually wanted to take photo of pple selling pirated/XXX CD in Sim Lim or near MRT station

not really want to report them to police....but actually want to take it as a challenge. (must prepare to run away with camera if i was spotted by their watcher

and also to take photo of pple who like to occupy two seats in a crowded bus/mrt or littering, jay walking....

anyone have done that before?

Status
Not open for further replies.