How do you accept credit card payments over the phone?

haring

Nov 4, 2010
I have tried to avoid accepting credit cards in the past because of the incurred cost. It looks like that I need to change this because more and more brides and grooms want to pay via credit card.

My question: Do you accept credit cards? If yes, which company do you use? Which type of service/provider should I avoid? Which is the most cost effective provider? What is the easiest way to start this?

Thanks for all you help!

disclaimer: ok i am not selling my company (that i am working for) service here. but u can consider WorldPay (u can google).

Basically u must have a website that already accept payments from your clients, WorldPay will then give u an interface to login to process payments after taking down the card information. Such service is known as mail order telephone order (moto for short).

that's all i can say.

Depends on your volume really... Bank charge less percentage but have annual fee. So if your volume is high, this is the way to go.

Paypal is great but higher fees and great if you use it less frequently.

None of these allow you to take credit card over the phone really... Can do with first method but not really the right thing as clients need to sign for your security.

I find world pay is expensive... I used all 3 before, but paypal is for me as I only need to take credit card every now and then.

Hope it helps.

Hart

but the problem here is that customers must have a paypal account. What happens if they just want to pay me over the phone...

but the problem here is that customers must have a paypal account. What happens if they just want to pay me over the phone...

Uhm. Honestly? Clients would need to be damn stupid to pass all their credit card details over the phone.

I suggest setting up the payment option on your web portal, then tell them that they need to go through there.

customer need not exactly need to have a paypal account, they are able to pay to you as long as you are registered with paypal...

customer need not exactly need to have a paypal account, they are able to pay to you as long as you are registered with paypal...

That's what he means. When you are registered with Paypal you have a paypal account.

And in order to send larger amounts you also need to go through the whole paypal account verification process. Then there's the paypal fees.

If u have a merchant account, they can make payment via their credit card without have to register with PayPal.

Hope it helps.

Hart

Uhm. Honestly? Clients would need to be damn stupid to pass all their credit card details over the phone.

I suggest setting up the payment option on your web portal, then tell them that they need to go through there.

I agree with you Rashkae ... if TS can generate that level of trust with his clients ... maybe he should start selling snake oil ... a super salesman we have here man !

I think TS based in the US.

Setting up such things is the same here too?

I do. They pay me over the phone.

Yes, I am a wedding photographer in Miami. They say I am a good one.. LOL! :)

If you're based in the US, Square looks like a suitable solution.

https://squareup.com/

Phone, mail and online orders
https://help.squareup.com/customer/portal/articles/11857

Square-Credit-Card.jpg

There is something like that in Singapore. However, the annual fees are about 2k+ plus per usage charge and set up charge.

So if you have enough clients that use it, it is worthwhile but may not be if you use less than a handful of time.

Regards,

Hart

There is something like that in Singapore. However, the annual fees are about 2k+ plus per usage charge and set up charge.

So if you have enough clients that use it, it is worthwhile but may not be if you use less than a handful of time.

Regards,

Hart

that's very expensive as compared to WP (WorldPay).

I got Square! It works so far. Paypal has something similar as well. I haven't looked into it yet.