How do u like to display pix online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daphz

Apr 19, 2004
Have so many pictures on my computer, wanna upload to the net, but I'm actually so sick of seeing the conventional method of thumbnails in a gallery, on clicking the thumbnail, the picture appears on the next page with a next and previous button. Very typical and boring. No matter whatever fancy backgrounds used.

Anyone know of webpages with creative methods of displaying digital photos? Please share! :)

somehow the thumbnail+enlargement method seems 2b the most economical way to display images

daphz said:
Have so many pictures on my computer, wanna upload to the net, but I'm actually so sick of seeing the conventional method of thumbnails in a gallery, on clicking the thumbnail, the picture appears on the next page with a next and previous button. Very typical and boring. No matter whatever fancy backgrounds used.

Anyone know of webpages with creative methods of displaying digital photos? Please share! :)
I agree.... my website is exactly like you described (I use menalto gallery) and I'm really bored with it now. But haven't found any alternatives. :dunno:

clive said:
somehow the thumbnail+enlargement method seems 2b the most economical way to display images

By 'economical' you are referring to webspace + bandwidth right?

What about artistic value in presenting your pictures? It's like we take effort to photograph, but when it comes to putting it online for all to see, we just plonk it up on the net and expect that people will ONLY focus on the picture instead of experiencing the gallery as a whole.

:confused:

An interesting way I've thought of is to make a map for computer games like half-life, of a gallery, with the pictures on the wall. Then you can walk around with a gun while looking at them.
other than that, the only way I've seen most pictures displayed is through galleries with thumbnails, just different special effects placed to make it look different, fading, pop up windows, borders, decorations. Sometimes even a slide show.

Is there any other way? maybe a huge huge collage?

mm actually the thumbnail+enlargement is kinda like "the fundamental root method" of displaying a mass of pics...something analogous like "atoms are made of protons, neutrons, and electrons" that kind of idea...ie that idea is "fixed" and "u cant change the contents"...err dunno if u see it the way i see it? :D

like say, u mentioned "hallway with individual photos being presented as a paintign on the wall of the hallway." yes, that is a visually different method of presentign to the viewer..but in more abstract terms, the hallway=the entire thumbnail collection, and the painting on the wall = the thumbnail itself...ie, visually its different but "root-wise" there's no change :)

ok its like..most galleries out there look like carbon atoms, while u can come up with a gallery that looks like a titanium atom (ie different from carbon atom)..ultimately, the "root" idea is the same: whether carbon atom or titanium atom, they are all still made up of protons, neutrons, electrons =)

that url...i really worship the webpage maker

Royce said:
Ok try this site. Pretty awesome presentation of photos, but take long time to develop no doubt.

While I agree this site is awesome, it's created using Flash. And as we know, Flash can do many wonderful things. I would be more impressed with creative online galleries done using HTML...by stretching the limitations of HTML ;)

html ...type until can die one ah :faint: :bsmilie: :)

clive said:
html ...type until can die one ah :faint: :bsmilie: :)

aiyah...of course I mean using Dreamweaver to produce HTML la...

Status
Not open for further replies.