How do u keep your lens & cam dust free???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nov 3, 2005
CCK
www.bigstockphoto.com
to my horror i find some dust particles on my macro lens, and the dark shadows they cast actually show up in my pics.:( i had to PS those dust spots away. just wondering how do you guys keep your lens & cam dust free?

impossible, you can only reduce the possibility.

1911 said:
to my horror i find some dust particles on my macro lens, and the dark shadows they cast actually show up in my pics.:( i had to PS those dust spots away. just wondering how do you guys keep your lens & cam dust free?

Welcome to the wonderful world of digital photography heheh.Like Drudkh say, It is impossible.

There will always be ways for the dust to get not just into lens but into your camera body as well. Like your lens, epsecially those long zooms. Zooming in and out causes the lens to expand out, this can not happen with out air being able to enter the spaces between lens tube overlapping layers/compartment right? Without air getting in, the vacuum or suction will not make it possible to extend it's length say from 70mm to 300mm. So when that happens, dust get sucked in too. It use to be worst with the older generation lens that you have to push and pull the lens to zoom. And since it can get into the lens, it also mean it is possible to get to your camera body too and thus settle on the surface of the CMOS or CCD sensor. Another obvious way would be when you change lens. So you see...it is not possible to keep dust out. You can only try your best to prevent as little of it from getting in and to clean your gear regularly.

Sell your SLR and buy a PnS...or best of all, buy one body for every lens, don't ever remove the lens and don't use your camera.;p ;p

Jokes aside...make sure you change your lens in a place with minimal dust, change the lens quickly when there is no wind blowing and with your body facing downwards. Give your sensor and mirror a "blowjob" with your blower before every shoot with the camera facing downwards.

Dust is everywhere, there's no way to avoid it unless you're shooting in a semiconductor plant...

1911 said:

While trying get rid of some dust on my cam viewfinder with the blower but end up more dust caught inside. :( Is it worth to send for servicing? Any advise.

sammy888 said:
Welcome to the wonderful world of digital photography heheh.Like Drudkh say, It is impossible.

It's possible.... keep your equipments in clean room.... never bring them out.

Bring your subjects to clean room and do your entire shooting in clean room. ;p :sweat:

Remember to wear those clean room suits.. else the clean room will also be containminated.

+evenstar said:
Did you point your camera body downwards while blowing?
This one I am not very sure now. Dust are supposed to be lighter than air, so if u point yr camera downwards while blowing, the dust may actually "fly" higher and into the camera.

CYRN said:
It's possible.... keep your equipments in clean room.... never bring them out.

Bring your subjects to clean room and do your entire shooting in clean room. ;p :sweat:

Remember to wear those clean room suits.. else the clean room will also be containminated.

hahahahah......aiya like that...no need all that clean room stuff lah. Just put your camera in one of those underwater camera containment can already lah. Totally air tight! If you have the D2X even better. Attach wireless device and transmit all your data without having to open it up to take the memory module out hehe.

Untill sometime when you really can't stand the amount of dust in your camera and lens, send them to cleaning. That will sure do the job.

sammy888 said:
hahahahah......aiya like that...no need all that clean room stuff lah. Just put your camera in one of those underwater camera containment can already lah. Totally air tight! If you have the D2X even better. Attach wireless device and transmit all your data without having to open it up to take the memory module out hehe.

ur idea co$tly ler!! :eek:

aspire said:
Untill sometime when you really can't stand the amount of dust in your camera and lens, send them to cleaning. That will sure do the job.

Don't really need to be overcautious about dust affecting the picture quality. Just regular cleaning daily will do. Afterall, your camera is meant to be used for shooting, and is bound to get dusty/dirty. Just need to be aware of your surrounding.

With digital, you can also PS away, although it would take longer.

Like aspire say, if you cannot stand the dust, then send for cleaning.

you can permanently keep them in a dust-proof bag. hehe!

1911 said:

sammy888 said:
How to change or charging the battery? Solar panel?

Hahaha...
Arto.

hehe, looks like i asked a stupid question, but stupid question can attract lots of replies :bsmilie:

+evenstar said:
Did you point your camera body downwards while blowing?

Any different between camera body facing at any direction? Advise.
Write to Olympus Service Centre on the cost for the servicing but still no reply...:(
since like their service is slow....

1911 said:
hehe, looks like i asked a stupid question, but stupid question can attract lots of replies :bsmilie:

No lah, it's not a stupid question, you asked with the right intention, and its a valid question.

Just reading a book from the library "Extreme Digital Photography" by Jonathan Chester. In the book, taking photos in the dessert is a problem, as the sand can get in, so the way is not to change lens, so carry 1 body with wide angle, 1 body with short telephoto, and 1 with long telephotos, .... That way, if you don't change lens, you will minimise the sand going in. Also have to do regular cleaning daily.

borrow other people's camera while keeping your camera in an air tight container for show only.

or cling wrap your camera

blive said:
:thumbsd: pretty selfish what! :nono: Know you are joking right? So can lend me your camera?

Cameras are meant to be used, not to be showcased.
my camera got more dust than yours :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.