How do u do portrait shots with a tele-zoom lens on a tripod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin Howard

Feb 18, 2008
North Eastern Region
When doing a portrait shot with your tele-zoom (etc. 70-200 F2.8) Lens mounted on a tripod via the removable tripod mount.

- Do you use those tripod with a special ball-head which allow you to adjust the angle to 180 degrees (3 O'clock direction)?

- Or is it actually possible to loosen the removable tripod mount then you turn the lens from 90 to 180 degrees (12 to 3 O'clock direction)? Then you tighten it back. Presuming you are using the normal tripod.

:bsmilie: just curious abt this..

for long and heavy lens like 70-200mm f/2.8, most just rotate 90 degree on the lens mount to get portrait/vertical shots. Which is more simple than adjust the tripod head.

I see, means if I'm using the normal tripod type I can also do portrait shots.
Thanks!

for long and heavy lens like 70-200mm f/2.8, most just rotate 90 degree on the lens mount to get portrait/vertical shots. Which is more simple than adjust the tripod head.
it is called tripod collar.

I ever saw a Chinese (PRC) setup his 70-200mm f2.8 L white lens on the tripod @ 1 of the exhibition and used the ballhead to bend 90 degree to get portrait shot. I told him why not use tripod collar instead and showed him the correct way. Later he laughed and realised the mistake he made.

Agreed, but using L-plate will most probably for those with standard zoom lens.
Cos if you use are using the 70 - 200 F4L, not sure if it balance very well..

Status
Not open for further replies.