How do u display your photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a photographer, I'm sure everyone of us here will not hesitate to display the pride and joy of our hard work eg web galleries, offices, homes etc

Just wondering...how do u guys display your photos? I'm thinking of ways to display my photos in a creative manner and don all those photo frames! Kind of boring and messy to see too many frames lying around.

Any insights for me to follow? :)

vivientan said:
As a photographer, I'm sure everyone of us here will not hesitate to display the pride and joy of our hard work eg web galleries, offices, homes etc

Just wondering...how do u guys display your photos? I'm thinking of ways to display my photos in a creative manner and don all those photo frames! Kind of boring and messy to see too many frames lying around.

Any insights for me to follow? :)
While walking around Capitol one day, I stumbled across this photo shop called Beautiful Memories. #01-02 Stamford House. You might be able to get some ideas from them. You can think calendars, sketchbooks etc etc..

Seriously, if you want to display your photos as a print on a frame, then do pay more attention to how the colours of the frame will fit with both the decor and colours of your walls and the tone of your photos. Also if you are displaying some family portraits, try to pick those which background colours matches your walls. Either display 1 big frame or several small frames to enhance the visibility. Treat your photo frames as part of your furnitures and decor.

vivientan said:

For displaying photos with reasonable quality, there's probably not much more choice than either projection or prints.

I like projected slide shows, but the sequential nature (one picture at a time) and setup (dark room...) doesn't lend itself well to using photos for decorating your home/office. If you're starting with digital files, the only affordable method to project them with reasonable quality is - at the time of writing - probably to get them copied on slide film. But that service is not frequently offered by local labs which may be an issue if you prefer to have a personal relation with your service provider (I do). Current "home entertainment" or business presentation projectors are out; they simply don't have enough resolution.

Prints need some kind of mounting, so a frame-like construct is probably necessary. To get around the somewhat baroque look of traditional frames, there are "frameless" picture holders that sandwich the image between a board and a glass plate (an assortment of such holders is e.g. available at Ikea for cheap, but the craftsmanship reflects the price). Another approach is to glue the print to some kind of backing board (with or without margins/frames); e.g. foam board (very lightweight, can be held on the wall just by double-sided sticky tape). I also tried mounting prints on canvas board (intended for oil-painting), and it can look very good. In the end, it depends mostly on the style of your home/office.

You comment on frames "lying around" - I take this as a hint that you have mostly small prints in desktop frames. Fewer and larger prints mounted on a wall can frequently bring out photos better - size does matter. Or you could consider assembling smaller prints into larger tableaus, which can then be wall-mounted.

I recently bought a nice black border photo frame from Ikea. It is able to slot in 3 x 4R prints, so i just hang them up on bare walls around my house using those 3M hooks. Pics that i put up are usually some abstract shot around my house, so viewers can go guess what/where are those or sometimes insects macro shots.

Hmm i usually keep my shots in my com but i do print out those shots that i like and just keep them in an album

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. What I'm more interested in is how to hang my prints up in an artistic manner besides using frames. I hope to do this without incurring high costs...nice looking photo storage items can cost a bomb! These ideas shd also allow me to change photos regularly with ease, without damaging the photos. So, no glueing / sticking / blue tacks etc to photos if possible.

Hmm...I'm so demanding ;p

vivientan said:
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. What I'm more interested in is how to hang my prints up in an artistic manner besides using frames. I hope to do this without incurring high costs...nice looking photo storage items can cost a bomb! These ideas shd also allow me to change photos regularly with ease, without damaging the photos. So, no glueing / sticking / blue tacks etc to photos if possible.

Hmm...I'm so demanding ;p

You can mount each of your photos onto a black mounting board. Use thicker threads or nylon strings, hang it from the ceiling and at each end, attach a small clip and clip your pics with the mounting board.

lsisaxon said:
While walking around Capitol one day, I stumbled across this photo shop called Beautiful Memories. #01-02 Stamford House. You might be able to get some ideas from them. You can think calendars, sketchbooks etc etc..

I use them too, they have some excelelnt display books which i use, however be warned, the books not cheap but quality is excellent!!

i buy these huge frames from ikea for 5.90 each. i can put 4 8R pictures inside. the frame is very light as its made of pine wood and plastic no glass.
http://singaporephoto.blogspot.com

vivientan said:
What I'm more interested in is how to hang my prints up in an artistic manner besides using frames. I hope to do this without incurring high costs...nice looking photo storage items can cost a bomb! These ideas shd also allow me to change photos regularly with ease, without damaging the photos. So, no glueing / sticking / blue tacks etc to photos if possible.

Ok... so here's a cheap and "artistic" way of hanging photos without frames and/or applying glue to them. Dangle wires/strings with clips from all over from the ceiling. Use the clip to hold the photos.

Very cheap & "artistic", but maybe not very practical for an office/living room in which one wants to walk without running into photos.

LittleWolf said:
Ok... so here's a cheap and "artistic" way of hanging photos without frames and/or applying glue to them. Dangle wires/strings with clips from all over from the ceiling. Use the clip to hold the photos.

Very cheap & "artistic", but maybe not very practical for an office/living room in which one wants to walk without running into photos.

Similar to my previous post in this thread.

LittleWolf said:

So, hang it right next to the wall... :) That way you won't run into it... (unless you're drunk ;) )

vivien,

you might want to use transparent strips of perspex. Get long ones of size 8 feet x 3 inches. Mount it onto a wall horizontally just on both ends. Seal the bottom part of the strip with a thin piece of metallic tape. And it's as simple as slipping your pics into this "pocket" all along the 8 feet width. Use as many strip as you want from top to bottom and put them apart as how you'd want them to be.

Simple, creative and modern.

I downloaded this free wallpaper cum screensaver software some years back which you can then configure to display pictures at random from specific folders. Nice and cheap way to display photos as I do not powerdown my computers.

Another nice and cheap way to display prints are as follows (done by my girlfriend):
PICT1451small.jpg

Most of the frames are bought secondhand from Salvation Army, Cash Convertor etc, original pictures removed and then replaced with my own. All in I think less than S$30, and you can easily change the photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.