How do u connect laptop to PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priscilia

Deregistered
Jun 20, 2006
I'm not particualrly IT savvy beyond plugging in thumbdrives into USB ports... :p so need advice from the experienced ones... Thanks!

Suppose I want to copy files from laptop to computer or vice versa, how can I do that? Do I need to buy special cables, etc?

I'm also particularly interested to know if we can use the laptop as 2nd screen when doing photo-editing. That means the PC monitor is used to display the full screen image, while the laptop's LCD screen is used to view and perform other tasks found in Photoshop, such as the menu bars, channels etc. This is to maximise the viewing area of the image... Can this be done?

THANKS in advance!!! :sweatsm:

hmmm... not the right place to ask but what the heck....

If you just want to copy large files, the easiest way is to use a portable hard disk. I assume using a thumb drive isn't practical for you (since you mentioned it) so portable HDDs are the best option. They aren't cheap, but they're idiot proof and well within your skill level (of plugging stuff into USB ports :bsmilie: )

If your computer has a ethernet port, get a PC-to-PC ethernet cable and connect it to your computer. Use windows networking wizard to set-up an ad-hoc network. Your laptop should have an ethernet port. If your PC doesn't have an ethernet port, you can get an ethernet to USB adaptor.

The latter solution sounds complicated and it can be depending on your luck.... setting up networks can be dead easy or a pain in the a**.

You could also go through the whole process of setting up a home networking using a router but I doubt you wanna go through the hassle.

You can use a regular monitor to expand your laptop screen's real estate BUT your graphics card must support it. If you're using internal graphics like GMA, forget it.

Think I've said enough... if you want the full details on the procedures, check the web. Enough pointers here to show you what to look for. :)

Q1: Most straight-forward method is to use an ethernet crossover cable.

Q2: Can be done, but first your laptop's VGA controller must support multi-screen.

Q1: can b done by configuring ur router/bridge/switch n pc/laptop if u are using 1...

Q2: as long as ur laptop gpu support multi screen funtion shouldnt b of a prob...coz im using tat funtion now...

Priscilia said:
I'm not particualrly IT savvy beyond plugging in thumbdrives into USB ports... :p so need advice from the experienced ones... Thanks!

Suppose I want to copy files from laptop to computer or vice versa, how can I do that? Do I need to buy special cables, etc?
You need a UTP Cat5 Cross cable. You will need to do some configuration for both machines to see each other.

Alternatively, borrow a router, plug both in and you can use it as a normal network. For Macs, press T when rebooting, then plug in a firewire cable (on the PC) and to the Mac and the Mac will behave like a portable storage.

Priscilia said:
I'm also particularly interested to know if we can use the laptop as 2nd screen when doing photo-editing. That means the PC monitor is used to display the full screen image, while the laptop's LCD screen is used to view and perform other tasks found in Photoshop, such as the menu bars, channels etc. This is to maximise the viewing area of the image... Can this be done?
Yes, but you will need another video card to do it. And/or a card with 2 outputs.

The easiest way is using the thumbdrive for transferring files. Not big enough? Then get a bigger one, or as solarii points out, get a portable hard disk.

I think that it is no point going through the hassle of setting up networking etc. Hair will turn white. If you really want the networking approach, go get someone to set it up :) After that it should be easy to use.

Priscilia said:

If you're asking if you can use the laptop's screen as a 2nd screen for your PC, the straight answer is no.

(The other replies on this thread answer the question of "Can I use a 2nd screen (LCD or monitor) on my PC?", not that of using your laptop's screen as the 2nd screen.)

if you got a router/wireless router, use it. im using mine too tho if one of the comp is connected wirelessly, the transfer rate is slow... avg is only about 1MB/s, but if both are on lan cable, you can easily reach 6-8MB/s. I wun say that is fast but it is good enough for me using 100mbps lan, not the newer giga lan. :embrass:

I would say it depends on the frequent and amount of data that you need to transfer between the PC and laptop.

If data is frequently transferred and you need internet access for both machines, use a simple network. Most SOHO routers/switches are very easy to setup (YMMV, Murphy's Law at work).

If you have the budget, go a for a Gigabit setup, most new laptops & PC are Gig-capable already and low port count Gigabit switches are relatively cheap(less than $50 for a unmanaged switch).

Otherwise, just use "sneaker-net" i.e USB HDD or thumbdrives to do the job. :bsmilie: Beware though, HDDs can fail, thumbdrives can be lost. Always backup your important data.

If you need more information, feel free to PM or email me.

-andy

Beside what most have suggested above using Network cable, you can also buy special USB cable that is use file transfer between 2 hosts. These cable usually has a small circuit board in the middle of the cable and cost about ~$20+.

I think since you are not IT savy just use a portable hard disk and plug it to the USB port. What the rest has suggested may work but there is work to be done.

Priscilia said:

THANKS in advance!!! :sweatsm:

Connecting Laptop to Computer

1. Network using VPN if you are on windows.
2. Obselete but common among older computers : Laplink
3. Transfer of files its easiest to use a external HDD.

Notebook and Computer sharing display

1. Easiest is use a monitor hub - 1/8 monitor hub. So later your friend wana join you he can just pluck in as well.

Hope it helps.

+evenstar said:
i log on both comps to the internet, use MSN messenger...transferred more than 1GB under 1 min (same router though)
good way! hahaha but need two msn accounts....

anyway... got many many ways to transfer large files

from the fastest to the slowest i can think of
1.external harddisk 3.5 or 2.5 both the same... using usb2 or firewire interface
2.burn a dvd
3.burn a cdrom
4.put both computers on the same router and log in to msn [according to +evenstar]
5.put both computers on the same router and add each other into the network
6.use a usb-usb ethernet interface to link two computers thru usb ports
7.use a rj45 cross over cable
8.use thumbdrive...
9.use floppy disk hehe

+evenstar said:
i log on both comps to the internet, use MSN messenger...transferred more than 1GB under 1 min (same router though)

i hope u dun use the same ISP & in the same region as me... bandwidth waster... :nono:

slooow said:
good way! hahaha but need two msn accounts....

anyway... got many many ways to transfer large files

from the fastest to the slowest i can think of
1.external harddisk 3.5 or 2.5 both the same... using usb2 or firewire interface
2.burn a dvd
3.burn a cdrom
4.put both computers on the same router and log in to msn [according to +evenstar]
5.put both computers on the same router and add each other into the network
6.use a usb-usb ethernet interface to link two computers thru usb ports
7.use a rj45 cross over cable
8.use thumbdrive...
9.use floppy disk hehe

u got the sequence wrong liao... hehhe...

fastest...

gigabit connection - 5,7 fastest
1, 8 - copy to xx min, copy xx fro min slow
2, 3 - even worse... waste money also...

most stupid is use 9 liao... i dun even remember which system i installed a floppy disk already...

actually if u dunno how to use network, then download network magic, its cheap software, and u buy 1 license can use for many computers, legally, and u can even share printers etc, super easy to use.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
u got the sequence wrong liao... hehhe...

fastest...

gigabit connection - 5,7 fastest
1, 8 - copy to xx min, copy xx fro min slow
2, 3 - even worse... waste money also...

most stupid is use 9 liao... i dun even remember which system i installed a floppy disk already...

actually if u dunno how to use network, then download network magic, its cheap software, and u buy 1 license can use for many computers, legally, and u can even share printers etc, super easy to use.
hmmm i always feel that copying to external harddisk is faster leh...:(

slooow said:
hmmm i always feel that copying to external harddisk is faster leh...:(

copy to mah, then u need to copy into another 1... so 2x the time lor...

USB is 480mbps, gigabit is 1000mbps, so u think which 1 better? technically its already 4x faster liao... cos 480 do 2 times, whereas 1000mbps do 1 time... haven count time lost on disconnect & connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.