How do they stack photos for more DOF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are using stacking for DOF if I am not wrong.
Are there any tutorials to do that?

http://www.naturephotosociety.org.sg/dcforum/DCForumID14/4238.html

The dragonflies? Looks more like small aperture and using flash.. Don't think you need to do stacking for dragonflies. Stacking more for microscope photography where the DoF is super thin. Some software can actually adjust the focus of microscopes and take images at different focus then stack them.

Stacking works well only if you use them on inanimate objects. What the software does is that it looks for the sharpest portions of the images and then stitch them together.

Aiyo...why use my posting on other forum. :embrass:

For normal DF shots, stacking is not neccesary, of course there are reason behind those. ;p

Stacking is useful for thick/fat subject at high magnification.

example

2345972120_f6bea4307f_o.jpg

PM me if you need help/advise.

Aiyo...why use my posting on other forum. :embrass:

For normal DF shots, stacking is not neccesary, of course there are reason behind those. ;p

Stacking is useful for thick/fat subject at high magnification.

example

[ IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2337/2345972120_f6bea4307f_o.jpg[/ IMG]

PM me if you need help/advise.

Sorry Leong23 for your photos.. but they are great..

Do you take multiple shots when the surrounding is still? I often found it a problem
when there is wind, even compose/focus.

everything must be still, slight movement can ruin the whole effort. :)

Ok, my first outdoor with Combinez..
I used F/3.2 to save background but i bet I need a few more shots.

locuststk001gimpwebee9.jpg

everything must be still, slight movement can ruin the whole effort. :)

Mount the camera still on a sturdy tripod, set to continuous firing mode and fire away while turning the focusing ring.. ;p

Mount the camera still on a sturdy tripod, set to continuous firing mode and fire away while turning the focusing ring.. ;p

Nice thought but that will not work. MLU will most prob be used and firing on continuous will be a no-no. And most competent macro shooters are more precise in that they will really want to make sure their focusing is spot-on and the air is static before firing off.

Actually this method had cross my mind before, will try it if the light is good for higher shutter speed. :)

Nice thought but that will not work. MLU will most prob be used and firing on continuous will be a no-no. And most competent macro shooters are more precise in that they will really want to make sure their focusing is spot-on and the air is static before firing off.

Haha.. okie.. I forgot high magnification is involved. ;p Oh one more thing, I just remembered that it may not work if you turn the focusing ring because magnification changes. Need to use a rail, fix the focus and adjust the distance instead. ;p

Haha.. okie.. I forgot high magnification is involved. ;p Oh one more thing, I just remembered that it may not work if you turn the focusing ring because magnification changes. Need to use a rail, fix the focus and adjust the distance instead. ;p

last time i felt the tripod is ok but the subject swaying in wind is a bigger problem..
plus, focus ring can be very sensitive when it comes to high mag ratio, slight
move and it's totally OOF.

Maybe we should shoot video at 30 fps on a rail then try to combine large number
of frames. :bsmilie:

last time i felt the tripod is ok but the subject swaying in wind is a bigger problem..
plus, focus ring can be very sensitive when it comes to high mag ratio, slight
move and it's totally OOF.

Maybe we should shoot video at 30 fps on a rail then try to combine large number
of frames. :bsmilie:

That's what they do on microscopes. They use CCD cameras and capture say 5fps while stepping through the focus and they stack the images.

That's what they do on microscopes. They use CCD cameras and capture say 5fps while stepping through the focus and they stack the images.

Then is it possible to hack the firmware of DSLR and write some programs
to AF the lens within a short range then take multiple shots automatically?

do you think the dslr multiple exposure mode helps? :p

Don't think so leh.. multiple exposure shoots everything and combine into one file? The microscope software uses an algorithm similar to CombineZ to extract the sharpest portion of each image to stitch together.

Status
Not open for further replies.