How do they print our photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erizai

Sep 16, 2005
Southen Sea
Hi All,

Anyone can share with me? just checked out from a lab's assitant, It seems there are using RGB to cast photo?? can it be???I doubt him..

Or may be their developing machines are so smart enough to change it without much losses?

Let say there are using CMYK to print, It's better for me to change to CMYK, so that there don't adjust my colour..

Any experienced lab person here to clarify?:sweat:

sRGB for lab (Fuji Frontier, etc)

Adobe RGB for your inkjet printer

CMYK - for press (offset) or if you have a rip or postscript for your inkjet

Using sRGB to cast Photo print? As my understanding... RGB is making up by HUE CHROMA and LIGHTNESS... more likely to be monitor's display... I doubt using R G B ink can produce a good image at photopaper.. oops ya... the photopaper are using chemical huh..

How their expose the image onto the photopaper? anyone can enlighten me?:dunno:

jopel said:
sRGB for lab (Fuji Frontier, etc)

Adobe RGB for your inkjet printer

CMYK - for press (offset) or if you have a rip or postscript for your inkjet

He is not talking about monitor display profile...

hmmmm...then try ProPhotoRGB - this working space has the widest range of colours.
the problem is at the moment there is no 16bits printer to handle it.

Sorry... I think I haven't putting it clear..

Before they print the photo, how there expose the photopaper?

R there using RGB to expose the Photopaper 1st then print(chemical develop) with CMYK?

Excuse me.. a bit confuse here..:sweat:

jopel said:
hmmmm...then try ProPhotoRGB - this working space has the widest range of colours.
the problem is at the moment there is no 16bits printer to handle it.

I thought there must be some light source to expose the photopaper.. the chemical just to serve as a fixer(stopper) may be?

??? Pardon me, just so eager to know..:embrass:

erizai said:
Before they print the photo, how there expose the photopaper?

Modern printing machines do it by using coloured laser beams, typically RGB. Note however that the colour gamut of the light sources does not really matter: it has to be matched to the sensitivity of the photographic paper, not that of the human eye. In principle, some company could come out with a paper where the three different colour layers respond to different wavelengths in the blue range of the spectrum, and the matching printing machine would have to use three different shadesof blue to expose the paper. What matters is the gamut of the developed photographic paper, and how selectively the printing machine can address it.

then print(chemical develop) with CMYK?

CMY only, otherwise you're right.

Thanks for answering. Just found out from one lab guy, it's indeed using CMY to develop on photopaper. and it is really using RGB beam to expose. So I guess in that case.. I need not change to CMYK before sending to the lab.

As your quote.. how accurate the colour reproduce on the photopaper depends on the exposing machine + the reactivity (paper gamut) of the photopaper itself.

In another word, the photopaper quality is the major factor that affect the print.

I think i really need to avoid some shop which using sub standard photopaper.

LittleWolf said:
Modern printing machines do it by using coloured laser beams, typically RGB. Note however that the colour gamut of the light sources does not really matter: it has to be matched to the sensitivity of the photographic paper, not that of the human eye. In principle, some company could come out with a paper where the three different colour layers respond to different wavelengths in the blue range of the spectrum, and the matching printing machine would have to use three different shadesof blue to expose the paper. What matters is the gamut of the developed photographic paper, and how selectively the printing machine can address it.

CMY only, otherwise you're right.

erizai said:
In another word, the photopaper quality is the major factor that affect the print.

Keep in mind that this statement is only valid if all the processing steps are done properly. If a lab cuts corners and doesn clean or calibrate the machine, or uses old chemicals, poor results may not be the fault of the paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.