How do stabilize a tele lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hlw8888

Aug 16, 2007
Somewhere in heartland
besides using a tripod or monopod, is there any tip to prevent shakes for long focal lengths (ie. 200-300mm) that is suitable for normal daily usage?

or u all will tend to choose lens with VR/IS or F2.8 to counter shake?

I just switch on the SSS in my camera.

besides using a tripod or monopod, is there any tip to prevent shakes for long focal lengths (ie. 200-300mm) that is suitable for normal daily usage?

or u all will tend to choose lens with VR/IS or F2.8 to counter shake?

Depends on how low your lighting is. If it's very low, even VR/IS or even f/2.8 is useless. Your best bet is still the tripod.

if no stabilization built into the camera leh? :embrass:

If u've no tripod with u, u may want to lean against a wall or rest the lens on a parapet. Some of my friends improvise a flash bracket and use it as a shoulder rest for support.

If u've no tripod with u, u may want to lean against a wall or rest the lens on a parapet. Some of my friends improvise a flash bracket and use it as a shoulder rest for support.

hmmm... interesting idea.

u have any pics of the setup?

Get creative... Anything can become a tripod. :)

Even a screw and a long piece of string can help...

Get creative... Anything can become a tripod. :)

Even a screw and a long piece of string can help...

i saw that video b4. is it really useful?

is it any screw that have the same size as the tripod hole that can liao or must buy the screw from camera shops one ah?

i saw that video b4. is it really useful?

is it any screw that have the same size as the tripod hole that can liao or must buy the screw from camera shops one ah?

You can get the fitting screw anywhere. :)

i use f/2.8 to counter shake but again it all depends on lighting.

is the anti shake of the sony dslr, really that good?! hahaha. i'm unconvinced lehh. HA.

is the anti shake of the sony dslr, really that good?! hahaha. i'm unconvinced lehh. HA.

Yeah, 2.5-4 stops easy. Proven in third-party tests.

damn. like that every single lens got IS!!! hahaha. not bad ah, but then again, KM and sony lenses are quite ex right?

oh well. too bad i don't like the make (feel) of the camera. not nice to hold, to me, personal preference lah. haha.

damn. like that every single lens got IS!!! hahaha. not bad ah, but then again, KM and sony lenses are quite ex right?

oh well. too bad i don't like the make (feel) of the camera. not nice to hold, to me, personal preference lah. haha.

1. Yes, it meant every lens has IS. Same for Olympus and Pentax.

2. KM lenses are cheap; Sony lenses are ex in SG, but cheap outside SG. Most Sony lenses are actually the same price as the C and N counterparts, some cheaper, some more ex. Plus Sony also has the G and CZ AF lenses.

3. To me the ergonomics were perfect which is why I chose Sony. To each their own

1. Yes, it meant every lens has IS. Same for Olympus and Pentax.

2. KM lenses are cheap; Sony lenses are ex in SG, but cheap outside SG. Most Sony lenses are actually the same price as the C and N counterparts, some cheaper, some more ex. Plus Sony also has the G and CZ AF lenses.

3. To me the ergonomics were perfect which is why I chose Sony. To each their own

hmm. so where do you get your lenses? anyway, the G and CZ lenses made for sony, are they from the original factories? or like licensed by them to external parties?

from what i heard (some sales man told me), all these are just marketing gimmicks, all hao siao, just to ride on the brand name. but since you're a user, are the lenses good? better than L glass?

yah. to each his own. everyone's hand is different.

hmm. so where do you get your lenses? anyway, the G and CZ lenses made for sony, are they from the original factories? or like licensed by them to external parties?

from what i heard (some sales man told me), all these are just marketing gimmicks, all hao siao, just to ride on the brand name. but since you're a user, are the lenses good? better than L glass?

yah. to each his own. everyone's hand is different.

I usually get my lenses from HK. The G lenses are Minolta, and are still made in the same Minolta factory. The CZ lenses are made in Japan using equipment and QA from Germany.

Most L glass is also very good. CZ and G lenses are not just a marketing gimmick. They're seriously (noticeably) great glass.

But, enough OT... If you really want to know more about the A-mount, feel free to post in the Sony section. TS: Realistically the best and cheapest option you have a is a tripod/monopod. You don't need to slurge on a super expensive one either.

Try a bean bag!

I got one made by my gf with an piece of old jeans cloth and rice, can just put it in the camera bag and go everywhere.

The problem is that u must find something stable to put the bean bag on. :)

I use the VRII in my 200mm Nikkor lens and it seems to work very well. Basically you need to take what you can get. Just use every precaution you can and take several shots of each composition, that way you drastically increase your chances of getting one keeper. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.