How do some members make their pictures look special

Status
Not open for further replies.

jones24

Jul 7, 2009
I don't know the word to use

Take this picture taken by another member

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7223/13378723063_c2420c1d65_c.jpg

It looks quite differnt from my picture which is well a normal picture.

kYWo6Nz.jpg

My picture looks like what you see the bird with your bare eyes while his pic looks like it had special effects added i think and he managed to capture it in mid flight clearly must be very good equipment used.

Last edited:
What Ted8888 used to make his pictures stand out and what he used to capture bird in flight is this thing called "skill". You get that by learning and practicing a lot.

Last edited:
they pay a lot of attention on all the fine details, working very hard on every elements in the photos to be perfect, from understanding the subjects, composition, lighting, timing, etc, all the way till post production.
what people see here is beautiful photos and think they have talents, but what people don't see is many years of hard work and perseverance.

you can have that too, start from slowing down, think more before you press the shutter release button.
the faster you shoot, the slower you learn.

Last edited:
Reactions: daredevil123
Amen. It is indeed a lot of hard work perseverance even when you have the 'eye' and talent, let alone when you dont. Like me.

they pay a lot of attention on all the fine details, working very hard on every elements in the photos to be perfect, from understanding the subjects, composition, lighting, timing, etc, all the way till post production.
what people see here is beautiful photos and think they have talents, but what people don't see is many years of hard work and perseverance.

you can have that too, start from slowing down, think more before you press the shutter release button.
the faster you shoot, the slower you learn.

Couldn't have said it any better.

...but what people don't see is many years of hard work and perseverance.

:thumbsup:

@jones24: When I see that shot, I think about the hours that the photographer might have camped there that day before he got this shot, the mosquito bites he might have suffered, the numerous visits he might have made to that spot, the number of times he might have returned home empty-handed, the hours he spent observing his subject learning its habits and characteristics, the number of failed shots, etc.

Reactions: kei1309
I don't know the word to use

Take this picture taken by another member

It looks quite differnt from my picture which is well a normal picture.

My picture looks like what you see the bird with your bare eyes while his pic looks like it had special effects added i think and he managed to capture it in mid flight clearly must be very good equipment used.

Don't think that just because other people had achieved something that you can't means immediately he/she had better or very good equipment.

147998328.TUxa92x3.IMG_1935web.jpg
Shot with Canon SX50HS by Greg Lavaty. And the Superzoom is not known to be very good equipment as compared to DSLR or m4/3, etc.

http://stokesbirdingblog.blogspot.sg/2013/02/more-canon-sx-50-bird-photos.html (using SX50HS to accomplish BIF shots)

http://birding.com.co/birding-with-a-point-shoot-camera/

Last edited:
During Army, everybody using the same Gun M16/Sar21

Why some Marksman why some bobo shooter?

u have your answer right here

Recently I met this member during one of my timelapse shoot.

what people see here is a bountiful twilight cityscape, and I believe first thing come into their mind is the photographer must be using a very good camera, yes, his camera is very decent.

but nobody know that he have to take a bus that only comes every 30mins, walk to the spot takes 15mins, that place is a muddy construction site, he reach there one hour before sunset to set up, standing in the dark, shoot till the golden hour is over.

He only shoot one scene for that evening.

My last shoot here before I fly off to Paris and Iceland! A really tough one to process since I blended about 30 exposures together for the light trails. I was afraid my computer could not take it and crash! Thanks Catchlights for giving me and my friends a lift out of this secluded place! :)

another member, he set up his camera and camp there for 5 hours to wait for perfect lighting/timing for fireworks.

Don't just admire the photos, learn to appreciate all the hard work behind these.

Another amazing and more extreme story (though I don't think it's advisable to follow that example) that I remember through the years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...es-lions-watering-hole-submerging-months.html

Wildlife photographer Greg du Toit was so determined to capture the perfect image of wild lions drinking he sat submerged in their watering hole for three months.

The defiant photographer had endured a year of failed attempts at getting the right picture after building hides and digging trenches near the animals' drinking spot.

In a final desperate effort, the 32-year-old decided to take the plunge and climb into the murky pool with his camera and ended up contracting several tropical diseases.

'The doctors panicked when they noticed that my red blood platelet count was sky high,' Mr du Toit said.

'The first real symptom was blood in my urine, which is when I went for blood tests. The blood test confirmed that I had Bilharzia.

'It's caused by a type of flatworm which had spent part of its life in water snails and the other part in my liver. It left me weak and in bed for weeks.'

He added: 'The high red blood platelet count signalled that I was carrying a lot of parasites. This included numerous species of internal worm parasites and a particularly nasty external worm parasite known as Hook Worm.

'This worm was actually visible under the skin of my foot and would move at night. It became a game to find the worm in my foot each morning.'

After a long stint sick in bed recovering, Mr du Toit was finally given the all clear following courses of powerful antibiotics, pesticides and by spraying liquid nitrogen on the parasites visible under his skin.

At the end of the day, people only see the photographs and judge what they see. A lot will think that "Oh! I go Africa, I go XXX spot, I will get those photos!" - but they don't. :)

Last edited:
Recently I met this member during one of my timelapse shoot.

what people see here is a bountiful twilight cityscape, and I believe first thing come into their mind is the photographer must be using a very good camera, yes, his camera is very decent.

but nobody know that he have to take a bus that only comes every 30mins, walk to the spot takes 15mins, that place is a muddy construction site, he reach there one hour before sunset to set up, standing in the dark, shoot till the golden hour is over.

He only shoot one scene for that evening.

another member, he set up his camera and camp there for 5 hours to wait for perfect lighting/timing for fireworks.

Don't just admire the photos, learn to appreciate all the hard work behind these.

Hak Liang camped for 5 hrs at vivocity for a shot at the fireworks. How I know? He was earlier than me and took the prime spot. Lol.

It's really really just a combination of an eye for shots (composition) + understanding your equipment + being in the right place at the right time. :)

No special formulae. I was looking at some of my old photos from 2010 taken using the Olympus EP-1 (u know , the very very 1st Pen that people will ask whether u r crazy when u bought it?) and 14-42MKi ; and was surprised that I was able to capture many shots at f5.6 or smaller for street , using a 12-40/2.8 and a 17/1.8 now has really pampered me too much honestly.

Reactions: kei1309
During Army, everybody using the same Gun M16/Sar21

Why some Marksman why some bobo shooter?

u have your answer right here

Wrong comparison there because in the army everyone uses the same gun model during range. Not everyone uses the same camera model, brand etc. The comparison would be better if each soldier had a different kind of rifle/gun for range maybe some use ak47, sar, even pistol.

Wrong comparison there because in the army everyone uses the same gun model during range. Not everyone uses the same camera model, brand etc. The comparison would be better if each soldier had a different kind of rifle/gun for range maybe some use ak47, sar, even pistol.
Well, analogies are not meant to be 100% accurate..

For example, if I say that A's beauty is like a fresh breath of spring air, I don't actually mean that she is gaseous, etc.

It's really really just a combination of an eye for shots (composition) + understanding your equipment + being in the right place at the right time. :)

No special formulae. I was looking at some of my old photos from 2010 taken using the Olympus EP-1 (u know , the very very 1st Pen that people will ask whether u r crazy when u bought it?) and 14-42MKi ; and was surprised that I was able to capture many shots at f5.6 or smaller for street , using a 12-40/2.8 and a 17/1.8 now has really pampered me too much honestly.

+1. Agree totally.

Adding on to the list, countless times using countless hours practising till it is second nature. And know the equipment so well, techniques all in the head. So when the right moment comes in that instant, can capture it in a flash like body reflexes.

Status
Not open for further replies.