Not open for further replies.

Eyesthruthelens

Deregistered
Sep 3, 2003
Sengkang
Visit site
Hi,
I think my KM5D has dust on the sensor? :confused:
Can I remove it myself? or how can I verify if it's dust?

use a blower to blow first.
If still there then i suggest DIY cleaning.

Ya ya...
must be brave...

must have good blower also lah...
not that plastic2x one..
use the rubber...

trigger from menu
then facing down.. blow blow blow blow.. dont hit with your blower though...

i do it last time than clean...

to confirm.. change lens lah...
still there... then your sensor...
of course i think you are refering to an image.. not a viewfinder..

muko said:
Ya ya...
must be brave...

trigger from menu
then facing down.. blow blow blow blow.. dont hit with your blower though...

What do you mean.. trigger from menu? ..

Here is the photo with the dust spot.. top left side..

100430758_fd42cd5f6c_o.jpg

to check for dust spots on ur ccd, shoot at smaller aperture such as f/22 of something plain and smooth like wall or piece of paper. don't need to be in focus.

to clean your ccd, refer to your manual page 106. like what muko mentioned, use blower to blow and check if there's any dust stuck on the ccd.

if the above didn't clean off the dust completely, this is what i do. first you need to know that in front of the ccd is a piece of glass. some call it ir-cut filter or low-pass filter, remember its a piece of glass. i will use a cottonbud and gently clean with just a little pressure. but if you're afraid, don't do it. send to service centre.

wha sek....mine looks like sentosa sand...joking..

it may not be dust...it could be stains (aka oily dust).
Try using liquid cleaner.

Eyesthruthelens said:
Hi,
I think my KM5D has dust on the sensor? :confused:
Can I remove it myself? or how can I verify if it's dust?

your 5D still under warranty?

Get it clean by KM for free lor..

Hart

Agetan said:
your 5D still under warranty?

Get it clean by KM for free lor..

Hart
BLOW BLOW...
must be brave...
must be brave...

after one time you try.. then you gain confidence...
it gives you new skill right...

ring ring ring...
"Muko learned CLEAN CCD DUST" EXP +2000

you need to open your mirror... you must go through menu..
read the OI... must read...

Hi..
Thanks for all the feedback.. tonight must try.. be brave.. and should pick up this skill.. as dust on sensor can happen anytime.. and need to know how to remove them. :)

hi, after reading this thread, i was inspired to double check my 5D for dust on ccd.

alas, it turned out that there are a few specks. i agreed the manual seemed like warning most not to touch the clean ccd function. but i went ahead and tried it with my blower anyway.

after cleaning, i took some pictures. dust speck still visible in pictures :cry:

not willing to give up, i did the operation again and use the blower harder and longer this time.

after fixing back my lens, i tried taking photos against white backgrounds.

....the dust specks are gone now! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

i think it is not as difficult or dangerous as it might seemed. im happy now. :lovegrin:

congrat, you learn the skill of blowing dust away from CCD, photography maintainence experience increased :bsmilie:

Eyesthruthelens said:
Hi..
Same here.. few blows and no more dark spot.. it's gone. ;)
Congrats congrats....

next time try doing it on a sandy beach...
can gain very high experience...

If you can see the spots when you shot in f/16 onward, is it dust? There is a rounded small spot visible only when I shoot in f/16 and f/22.

Cotton buds itself has loose strings of cotton thread, wouldn't it mess the glass if used and smear most dust on it?

Drudkh said:
to check for dust spots on ur ccd, shoot at smaller aperture such as f/22 of something plain and smooth like wall or piece of paper. don't need to be in focus.

to clean your ccd, refer to your manual page 106. like what muko mentioned, use blower to blow and check if there's any dust stuck on the ccd.

if the above didn't clean off the dust completely, this is what i do. first you need to know that in front of the ccd is a piece of glass. some call it ir-cut filter or low-pass filter, remember its a piece of glass. i will use a cottonbud and gently clean with just a little pressure. but if you're afraid, don't do it. send to service centre.

becarefull because sometime it is a oily spot which will smear if you touch it.

If it is a dust, just blow it out.. it should move.. if not, don't touch it, get it clean..

I trip the shutter like what it is describe in page 106 and blow... (I am a bit rough hehe.. when I am on the job and see a spot in there...) save me hours of work. normally works fine.. if it stays.. KM sydney service center can clean it on the spot for free normally...(even if your warranty is out).

Hart

I am not too sure if it is dust, it looks more like a spot to me. How did the spot get there!!?!? Anyone had the same problem before?

Agetan said:
becarefull because sometime it is a oily spot which will smear if you touch it.

If it is a dust, just blow it out.. it should move.. if not, don't touch it, get it clean..

I trip the shutter like what it is describe in page 106 and blow... (I am a bit rough hehe.. when I am on the job and see a spot in there...) save me hours of work. normally works fine.. if it stays.. KM sydney service center can clean it on the spot for free normally...(even if your warranty is out).

Hart

Lawyon said:
If you can see the spots when you shot in f/16 onward, is it dust? There is a rounded small spot visible only when I shoot in f/16 and f/22.

Cotton buds itself has loose strings of cotton thread, wouldn't it mess the glass if used and smear most dust on it?
use the cotton to clean the dust, the blow off the cotton. it is definitely easier than blowing off a stubborn speck of dust.

else get the lint free bud.

Status
Not open for further replies.