How do photos get chosen for the newspaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

niki

Dec 3, 2005
SengKang
yea... can i know? i'm no pro, dun intend to become a full time shooter also...skills also cmi..

juz curious how some photos get chosen for the newspaper.. but sometimes.. the photos are not that great anyway.. :dunno:

Most newspapers have a staff of photographers and/or selected freelancers who they assign jobs to. Often the staff and freelancers are relatively inexperienced, thus the quality of the photos. A newspaper story is more often then not, enhanced by a photo, regardless of quality - so if an assigned photographer brings back a 'bad' picture then that's what they have to work with.

Most newspapers will also publish photos submitted from the general public IF there is no internal source or the photo is significantly better then the internal source.

cyber_m0nkey said:
Most newspapers have a staff of photographers and/or selected freelancers who they assign jobs to. Often the staff and freelancers are relatively inexperienced, thus the quality of the photos. A newspaper story is more often then not, enhanced by a photo, regardless of quality - so if an assigned photographer brings back a 'bad' picture then that's what they have to work with.

Most newspapers will also publish photos submitted from the general public IF there is no internal source or the photo is significantly better then the internal source.

curious, but thought some newspaper publishing houses do have in house photographers? :dunno:

yukazunori said:
curious, but thought some newspaper publishing houses do have in house photographers? :dunno:

Yes they do but they do not cover all events. Some media still buys off from other publishing companies.

Photos are usually choosen base on the stories the reporters are covering the event which the editors/sub editors then choose.

Bad photos will seldom be publish unless this is a news breaking event. Publishing company like SPH has more than enough stories and photos to fill up the empty spaces.

ic... thanks cybermonkey..

Associated Press has a whole team of photographers around the world who email the wire pictures every minute.

A friend of mine told me that when the photog goes to a football game, he has 15 mins to email AP a photo, thats his deadline!!

for local news, SPH would assign jobs to their photog's to cover whatever event. Most times the reporter and the photog dont even know each other.

yea true...the photog jus covers the event, passes the film/media (and leaves for the next event after that) to the journalist who selects the photo for the article

+evenstar said:
yea true...the photog jus covers the event, passes the film/media (and leaves for the next event after that) to the journalist who selects the photo for the article

Are you sure?

+evenstar said:

im pretty sure the cover editors select the photos.

in my school newspaper it goes like this

photo editor will get the photog to cover the event >

i'll send the photo to my editor >

he will print it out and send to the cover editors >

who will patch the whole paper together

Pro Image said:
Yes they do but they do not cover all events. Some media still buys off from other publishing companies.

Photos are usually choosen base on the stories the reporters are covering the event which the editors/sub editors then choose.

Bad photos will seldom be publish unless this is a news breaking event. Publishing company like SPH has more than enough stories and photos to fill up the empty spaces.

icicic thks thks =)

trlnlty said:
Associated Press has a whole team of photographers around the world who email the wire pictures every minute.

A friend of mine told me that when the photog goes to a football game, he has 15 mins to email AP a photo, thats his deadline!!

for local news, SPH would assign jobs to their photog's to cover whatever event. Most times the reporter and the photog dont even know each other.

That's why there is a media center at every major league meeting.wireless transmitters and each photographer has an assistant in the MC who will sort on the fly and get the requsitite photos ready for the article, which also has a 30min TAT from the end of the match, including post-match conference.

There is no room for mistakes at the highest levels. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.