How do i take the sun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

junkai21

Sep 13, 2006
Hi Guys,

How do i take the sunset? Everytime, the photos turns out not nice and either over exposed or the buildings became black. Eg:

DSC00688.jpg

DSC00687.jpg

How do i acheive the effect like there's a glow on the round sun instead of these? :dunno:

Thanks in advance!!

Use a grad ND filter to compensate for the exposure of the sky =)

why you are getting such results

1) your buildings are a lot darker than the sky,do you not agree
2) the sensor's dynamic range (i.e. the range of light it can capture) is limited, do you not agree
3) therefore, if you expose for the buildings, as you have done, the sky will be overexposed
4) you need a graduated neutral density filter OR hdr technique to capture all the details

if you do not know what either of these are
google is your best friend, learning to learn is just as important as learning itself
cheers!

2) the sensor's dynamic range (i.e. the range of light it can capture) is limited, do you not agree
3) therefore, if you expose for the buildings, as you have done, the sky will be overexposed
4) you need a graduated neutral density filter OR hdr technique to capture all the details

google is your best friend, learning to learn is just as important as learning itself
cheers!

would u prefer a ND filter or the HDR technique?

would u prefer a ND filter or the HDR technique?

it depends, actually

if the sun is still up, as in the 2 photos posted, i think you would find yourself using hdr
unless you wish to stack more than one gnd filer, which would be quite painful
might also actually lead to quite visible degradation
for me i use the 10-20, so hrm, quite unlikely i can stack, will have vignetting

but once the sun has dropped to about horizon level
or already just gone
then can use gnd, depending on how bright your foreground is

most of these days i find myself just shooting raw with gnd on, and then hdr from single raw
unless i think really not good enough, then i just take the jpg + blend approach

cheers!

GREAT tips! Last simple question! How much is a ND Filter now? For 55mm. Rough price :)

GREAT tips! Last simple question! How much is a ND Filter now? For 55mm. Rough price :)

not nd filter

GND
graduated
neutral density filter

would not advise you to get screw in one
best to get cokin from cathay photo (check ortega's thread in "others" section for pricing, roughly)
or tianya from ppcp, here

those are slide in filters with holders
much more versatile
for screw in gnd your horizon/graduation is fixed, cannot adjust as and when you like, quite du lan to use

if your budget is higher than mine, seeing how i am a poor student, you may consider more expensive ranges like lee or singh-ray, i think, but not sure where to get those

not nd filter

GND
graduated
neutral density filter

would not advise you to get screw in one
best to get cokin from cathay photo (check ortega's thread in "others" section for pricing, roughly)
or tianya from ppcp, here

those are slide in filters with holders
much more versatile
for screw in gnd your horizon/graduation is fixed, cannot adjust as and when you like, quite du lan to use

if your budget is higher than mine, seeing how i am a poor student, you may consider more expensive ranges like lee or singh-ray, i think, but not sure where to get those

Thanks. You meant these http://www.perfectpixelcameraparts.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=84 ?

Dont seem to have my lens' size of 55mm

Status
Not open for further replies.