How do I take a picture and display it instantly on a computer?

ombre

Sep 3, 2008
Hi guys,

Please hold your comments if you want to tell me "use the search function". I did google several permutations and I can't find my answer.
I'd be more than happy to search it myself if someone be willing to tell me what is the correct keyword I should use =)

Anyway, what I am interested to know is how can I take a picture and display it instantly on a screen/computer.

This is something I see often in professional photoshoots where an art director (or sorts, pardon my ignorance) sits at the side looking at a screen instead.

If it does matter, I am on a Canon system, a Canon 40D.

I understand there is a wireless file-transfer grip, but thats way expensive. Is there a wired alternative?

Thanks and Regards,
Brandon

there is the wifi thingy.. where u share yr pic onto a screen after u shot it.

Cheaper version? = Web cam.

Anyway, what I am interested to know is how can I take a picture and display it instantly on a screen/computer.
This is something I see often in professional photoshoots where an art director (or sorts, pardon my ignorance) sits at the side looking at a screen instead.
If it does matter, I am on a Canon system, a Canon 40D.

Tethered shooting with your 40D.
These studio setups don't use consumer cameras but rather Medium Format systems. These systems come with Firewire ports for immediate transfer to a computer system.

Connect your 40D to a PC via the USB port.

Run some image capturing software that has tethering capability. I'm not too familiar with what's on the market, but I know Adobe Lightroom 3 has 'tethered capture' capability. Can even trigger the shutter release from the PC :)

Connect your 40D to a PC via the USB port.

Run some image capturing software that has tethering capability. I'm not too familiar with what's on the market, but I know Adobe Lightroom 3 has 'tethered capture' capability. Can even trigger the shutter release from the PC :)

I attempted this before, but when I connect the USB to my camera, it goes into the transfer mode and the camera will not shoot. Am I missing something?

I attempted this before, but when I connect the USB to my camera, it goes into the transfer mode and the camera will not shoot. Am I missing something?

There is a supplied software with your 40D when you buy. Dig out that CD. It should be there.

Another great way to use Live View: Attach a computer via the 40D's USB 2.0 port, load Canon's included EOS Utility software and take complete control of the camera via the computer.

ref: Canon EOS 40D Digital SLR Camera Review

Last edited:

Could be your USB mode. Some cameras allow different functionality for the USB connection. Should be programmable in your camera's menu. I'm not familiar with 40D so can't advise further.
My D90 works like a charm when tethered :)

Hi all,

Firstly I want to thank you all for your help!

Yup the keyword I was missing is "Tether -ed -ing"

I managed to do it, what I needed was the EOS Utility (Canon's driver for the camera).
(I realized that you can't download it online (only updates), you actually need the original CD or to buy an original CD. A little too profit driven if I might say.)

I realize that I can actually activate live-view compose and remote control the camera via my laptop too. Awesomeness for self-portraits, don't need to buy extra remote control.
(If only I could control zoom and the tripod from the computer too... asking for the moon here, haha).

Gonna figure how to have it tethered straight to lightroom now...

Wish I had discovered this sooner,

Hi all,

Firstly I want to thank you all for your help!

Yup the keyword I was missing is "Tether -ed -ing"

I managed to do it, what I needed was the EOS Utility (Canon's driver for the camera).
(I realized that you can't download it online (only updates), you actually need the original CD or to buy an original CD. A little too profit driven if I might say.)

I realize that I can actually activate live-view compose and remote control the camera via my laptop too. Awesomeness for self-portraits, don't need to buy extra remote control.
(If only I could control zoom and the tripod from the computer too... asking for the moon here, haha).

Gonna figure how to have it tethered straight to lightroom now...

Wish I had discovered this sooner,

er, there is a simple reg hack to install the update as full installation..

if you have supplied CD from canon, then follow these steps:

1. install EOS utility software from the CD
2. open EOS utility
3. connect camera to computer via USB
4. click "camera settings/remote shooting"
5. select "live view shooting"
6. a live view screen will pop up on your computer screen
7. shoot
8. wait for image transfer
9. smile like a kid getting presents on christmas when you see your images on the PC screen. :bsmilie:

you can also control some camera functions from the computer when tethered, like shutter release. :)
btw, using a 550d, but the steps should be the same. any 40d users can verify or correct me

er, there is a simple reg hack to install the update as full installation..

Yup theres a reg hack. Others have suggested that you could Unrar the executable.

I do not question the impractically of acquiring it as much as why should it not be made available online; of course the answer is either extra profit or to limit people from having their programs.

Would it really be useful to others without EOS cameras? I guess they could limit the photoviewer programs without limiting the driver. It is expected of product support after all.

Canon would charge $26 USD for the CD. They've already earned a lot from the cameras yea.

2. open EOS utility
7. shoot
9. smile like a kid getting presents on christmas when you see your images on the PC screen. :bsmilie:

you can also control some camera functions from the computer when tethered, like shutter release. :)
btw, using a 550d, but the steps should be the same. any 40d users can verify or correct me

You are correct. Thanks for summarizing it in steps, I guess this will help anyone else viewing this thread.

2. open EOS utility
7. shoot

Can the camera work without the liveview activated?
As in... you view through the VF and press the shutter release and within seconds the image appears on your PC monitor?