How do I start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dookiedookdook

Aug 16, 2007
Haha, ok, this may sound dumb, but yea, I was kinda fascinated by a couple of photography sites I saw online. So thought maybe I could start taking it up as a hobby now. But I don't really know where or how to start, and for a start, I don't even have a proper camera.

So, was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers like what I should be getting and doing at this stage. Hahaha

thanks in advance anyway! :D:D:D

I am a newbie too.

I think an affordable prosumer camera is just nice.
As you explore further into photography (esp manual mode), you will know what (camera) you need.

Dont jump the gun (into dslr) yet; learn the basics of photography is your priority.

Welcome to Clubsnap!

Firstly, you may want to take sometime to read and browse through this entire forums, cuase it contain many valuable information for all levels of photographers, inclusive of the aspiring ones. You will definitely gain a lot from the sharing and posts by many members. There are also articles available and the main home page of Clubsnap meant for new photographers, I'm sure it'll be very helpful to you.

Secondly, determine what is your feasible budget for a camera and decide what kind of camera to get. You may want to consider to start with a compact camera first that cost about few hundreds dollars. Don't underestimate the capabilities of compact cameras, often they can take photographs that are much better and professional than thos big gun (DLSR) cameras.

Cause photography is an art, it's not about the equipment, though they helps but it's still the man behind the camera.

Thirdly, read and browse through the many photos posted by many other members, read the critics and comments, look at their photos, see what you can learn from them.

For a start after purchase yourself a camera, you may consider just take the camera and start taking photos, don't have to worry or think whether should you go portraits, landscape, skyline, city scape, nature or wildlife, or macro/micro. Just post the few that you think it's your best in this forum and then listen what others have to say.

Then continue go out to take photos, keep shooting, keep practicing.

Join the group of newbies for outing and gathering, then can learn together and exchange of ideas, most of all, make new friends.

hahaha thanks alot guys!

so it isnt wise to jump into dslr? haha
my budgets prolly around a few hundred dollars, say $400-$500, but yea, its flexible :D

any suggestions for dslr and non dslr cams?

u may want to start with canon powershot series or nikon P5000 as it is equipped with manual mode.
slowly slowly..
me too..
:p

Maybe try an S3is. the second hand ones should be relatively cheaper now for a prosumer, especially with the introduction of the S5is.

hahaha thanks alot guys!

so it isnt wise to jump into dslr? haha
my budgets prolly around a few hundred dollars, say $400-$500, but yea, its flexible :D

any suggestions for dslr and non dslr cams?

there is a chapter in my thread in my signature. do a search for nightmare's prosumer page too.

it is not unwise to jump into dslr. but using a compact can also help you learn composition and handling photographic opportunities. you can then learn about the limitations of compact and consider another equipment better suited to you.

2nd hand dslr + 2nd hand kit lens, project at least budget of $800. if not consider prosumer.

a 2nd hand nikon D50 or canon 350D can be considered. olympus E500 and pentax K10 are good players too.

Welcome to ClubSnap.

Before you jump into this hobby, please, please consider carefully if are really interested in this hobby? This can be a very expensive hobby. Do not take up photography just because you've seen a couple of photos cause not everyone can produce that kind of standard. If you are really serious about this hobby, then you may want to consider the following first:

1) What is the budget you have for a camera?
2) What do you want to take?
3) What type of camera do you want? (A simple & compact Point & Shoot type? A prosumer camera where you have more controls? Or a DSLR whereby you can decide what lens to use & have full control over the settings.)
4) Besides the camera, are you willing to spend on other accessories. (eg. Tripod, Filters, etc)

Welcome to CS.

Start with a PNS camera first as DLSR is not a cheap hobby.

Welcome to CS.

Start with a PNS camera first as DLSR is not a cheap hobby.

Have to disagree with those out there asking TS to start with a PnS.

Any basic photography course out there would teach you about aperture, lens focal length, shutter speed, ISO/ASA settings etc..

Most PnS are not adequate for one to fully play with these.

Getting a film body might be an option, but the cost of film and processing would be a burden.

Instead, consider a 2nd hand 300D (500+) or D70(500-600)..

to keep within budget, start off with only 18-55 kit lens and an extra 50f1.8 :)

Some of the prosumer cameras come with aperture, shutter speed and ISO setting.
So it will still be adequate to start with, espeically when you have a budget.

Some of the prosumer cameras come with aperture, shutter speed and ISO setting.
So it will still be adequate to start with, espeically when you have a budget.

does any of them comes with a rotating dial for aperture and shutter speed control?

Well... sad to say, not that I know of...

i think nikon P5000 has it.

yap there is if i never remember wrongly... cos i played with that camera before... actually after doing some read ups... you can actually go down to shops to try out some of the cameras... you must have the feel of the camera whether it suits u a not before u buy it... can always get the 2nd hand one over here instead of getting the first hand in shop =X that is what i always do haha... just my noob opinion... do correct me if i am wrong =D

Hi dookiedookdook, welcome to CS. :)

For a start maybe you wanna do some reading up on exposures / composition. Get books like Understanding Exposures and Learning to see creatively from Bryan Peterson. This 2 books helped me when i was just starting out. For selection of cameras, maybe you can go down to the shops try out and get what you are comfortable with, be it PNS / Prosummer / DSLR.

Do check out the outings in the Gatherings and Outing subsection. Join some outings and learn from fellow hobbyists. Do look out for the Learner's outing and Anything Goes Outing(AG) posted there. I've joined them and learned a lot from these outings.

Status
Not open for further replies.