How do I start as freelance/part time photographer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallenheart

Jun 8, 2008
Singapore
Hi all senior/freelance,PT photographers,

I wish to start as a freelance/part-time photographer. But how do i go about it? I am going to attend a part time photography coz soon. I do have some basic knowledge in photography, but i guess not enough. So other than finishing attending the coz and acquire some skills in photography, which is a must have i know. What is the next step? Publish portfolio? Advertise myself online? Do I have to set aside some money to buy additional kits? (I only have basic dslr camera and starter lens). How do I start to become a freelance/PT photographer? I will deeply appreciate all your great advises. Thank you. ;)

It's not easy. Get your name out there. Have a top class portfolio. Make yourself stand out from the rest. You should have your own unique style if your going to stand out.

And then it is putting a price to your work. Marketing yourself. Customer Service is key.

But first get started on a portfolio covering a specific area where you want to end up being a photographer in. Taking pictures of the street is not going to get you a wedding.

good luck.

have started of doing so too.. but hafta really prepare myself in terms of gear wise.. firstly, set your perspective of photography (e.g. wedding, model shoots or even landscape) den get the correct gear like lens and even a flash if required. for me still general, but have a wedding project end of this year so hafta practice ;p

have started of doing so too.. but hafta really prepare myself in terms of gear wise.. firstly, set your perspective of photography (e.g. wedding, model shoots or even landscape) den get the correct gear like lens and even a flash if required. for me still general, but have a wedding project end of this year so hafta practice ;p

Judging from your 'railroad' album.. you have a long way to go. Don't get too carried away with gear. Learn how to convey a message in your photos first. Learn how to compose to tell a story/message/emotion/feeling/mood in your shots. Once you get past that phase, the selection of gears will just fall into place. You'll know exactly what you need then. I seriously doubt investing in gear will help you get past this phase. In fact, when you're limited in gear, you learn faster, with greater degree of improvision.

As advised above... Practice! Especially in the related areas/discipline of subject matter. The beauty of digital is that only the camera body costs money, the shooting and experimentation is virtually free and infinite, not the old film days!

still have lots to learn. nt getting carried anywhere thus need advice from all the shifus here. :D

Fake it till you make it!

heh. sounds familar leh. :bsmilie:

I cannot stress enough once again. that the photography aspect can be trained, practised, learnt. but making it in the industry is the business aspect of it. so be it part time, full time or tiger time. u still can't just rely on a solid portfolio, cos its just a smal step in getting somewhere.

networking and lots of paying clients that like your service is the key to success

a solid business plan will also help you stay focused

I wish to start as a freelance/part-time photographer. But how do i go about it? I am going to attend a part time photography coz soon. I do have some basic knowledge in photography, but i guess not enough. So other than finishing attending the coz and acquire some skills in photography, which is a must have i know. What is the next step? Publish portfolio? Advertise myself online? Do I have to set aside some money to buy additional kits? (I only have basic dslr camera and starter lens). How do I start to become a freelance/PT photographer? I will deeply appreciate all your great advises. Thank you. ;)

best answer in my BLOG - Photographers' Road

very detail for fresh photographer :)

good luck

best answer in my BLOG - Photographers' Road

very detail for fresh photographer :)

good luck

Hi thanks for all the great advises! :D

Billingham i supposed you are earning quite a profit from the sites? ;p
Oh there is exam for the Shutterstock..... erm....... seems like taking the TP theory test, only can afford to make 5 mistakes. :dunno: I supposed I need to brush up my skills before submitting my best works. Nevertheless, thanks alot for sharing the links. :vhappy:

Hi thanks for all the great advises! :D

Billingham i supposed you are earning quite a profit from the sites? ;p
Oh there is exam for the Shutterstock..... erm....... seems like taking the TP theory test, only can afford to make 5 mistakes. :dunno: I supposed I need to brush up my skills before submitting my best works. Nevertheless, thanks alot for sharing the links. :vhappy:

Don't worry about

Still life or object easier pass exam than landscape if you read the note of my tutorial carefully

You can find some sample photos for exam in my blog

Hello,

You might also want to take a look at this page in addition to the other sites that have been pointed out. The article was written specially with Singaporean photographers in mind:

http://prophotosingapore.wordpress....sional-photography-in-singapore-starting-out/

Last edited:
Or perhaps go work as a photographer assistant for a while to learn the ropes. This way you are assured of an income while you learn. Then decide if you still want to turn pro.

I think, that one of the possibilities is start shooting for microstock agencies - you will practice shooting, create some portfolio and earn some money. Some tips you can find on my site: http://sellinggraphics.com

Later you can setup your own site with your portfolio and start searching some better paying clients :)

Hi guys, if I'm interested in doing freelance/part-time doing landscape shots, any suggestions on how to start? What companies/clients are looking for these photographers, e.g. travel agents? Any important things to keep in mind? Thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

Hi guys, if I'm interested in doing freelance/part-time doing landscape shots, any suggestions on how to start? What companies/clients are looking for these photographers, e.g. travel agents? Any important things to keep in mind? Thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

Commerical landscape photography is extremely difficult. Travel agents will probably by from stock images. A good place to look at are micro stock and big stock agencies.

Z

Hello,

You might also want to take a look at this page in addition to the other sites that have been pointed out. The article was written specially with Singaporean photographers in mind:

http://prophotosingapore.wordpress....sional-photography-in-singapore-starting-out/

Hi thanks for sharing the website. Its useful.

Or perhaps go work as a photographer assistant for a while to learn the ropes. This way you are assured of an income while you learn. Then decide if you still want to turn pro.

Ya, have thought of that too but not easy to find one.

I think, that one of the possibilities is start shooting for microstock agencies - you will practice shooting, create some portfolio and earn some money. Some tips you can find on my site: http://sellinggraphics.com

Later you can setup your own site with your portfolio and start searching some better paying clients :)

Thanks, will take it into account.

I think how to find first job is hardest

it is not how good you are that matters but

how many people know how good you are that really matters

Ya i agree with both of u.

By the way, i posted one photo under the night photography. Please give your C&C. Thanks! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.