How do I shoot 0.5cm spider and its prey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dRebelXT

May 14, 2005
Last time I saw a very nice small spider with a prey on its net, however it's
too small for my 90mm Tamron. What are the equipments needed to shoot
such small bugs and what's the settings?
:confused:

Get a close up lens like 250D or 500D, add more tubes to it or get a very high MP DSLR like D2X with 2x crop factor (for cropping in post process also), reverse lens (video lens give even higher magnification rate than normal camera lenses)... etc

btw, I suppose T90mm should be able to shoot a 5mm subject (cropping required if u need the spider to fill your frame).

dRebelXT said:
Last time I saw a very nice small spider with a prey on its net, however it's
too small for my 90mm Tamron. What are the equipments needed to shoot
such small bugs and what's the settings?
:confused:

I tried shooting the same situation as u did and realised it wasn't big enough on my small digi compact.

In SLRs, you may want to get an extension tube for further closeness or if you have more money to spend, get the EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM with the extension tube. Results will be superb.

If not, you still can take with your tamron 90mm but do it at a high resolution so u can crop your pics after that.

Settings wise i always used M mode and handheld at 1/90 and f/16. Be sure to use a flash to compensate for the underexposure but of course, the macro ring lite or twin lite will be ideal.

You mean like this?

37026157.jpg

If you already have the 90, try whacking on an extension tube on it. And use either a ring flash or a flash on a cord to light up the subjects properly.

Snoweagle said:
In SLRs, you may want to get an extension tube for further closeness or if you have more money to spend, get the EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM with the extension tube. Results will be superb
I dun think there are any obvious diff in quality produced by T90mm and and 180mmL especially you are shooting spider. You still get 1:1 at their minimum focusing distance. Perhaps the L give you more superior quality but not significant.

90mm couples with tubes is better than 180mm with tubes, FYI. 90mm only needs 50mm tube while 180mm need to couple with 100mm tube.

Thank you all.

What is the equivalent focal length if I get a 50mm ext tube for 90mm Tamron?
What might be the cost?

I was aware that a new Sigma 150mm macro (my dreamed macro) costs $1000+.

sumball said:
I dun think there are any obvious diff in quality produced by T90mm and and 180mmL especially you are shooting spider. You still get 1:1 at their minimum focusing distance. Perhaps the L give you more superior quality but not significant.

90mm couples with tubes is better than 180mm with tubes, FYI. 90mm only needs 50mm tube while 180mm need to couple with 100mm tube.

The 180mm need to stand further away from your subject. Sometimes it's gd becos you can don't need to get so close to your subject.

dRebelXT said:
Thank you all.

What is the equivalent focal length if I get a 50mm ext tube for 90mm Tamron?
What might be the cost?

50mm ÷ 90mm = 1:1.81 magnification

If you wanted 1:1 for a 90mm, then it's 90mm worth of tubes you need to stack on.

Oh! Googled, and Canon 25mm Ext costs US$120. Sigh.

dRebelXT said:
Oh! Googled, and Canon 25mm Ext costs US$120. Sigh.

No need Canon tubes, they are too expensive. Go look for the Kenko, the 25mm tube is about S$80 and they are also sold in a pack of 3 of various lengths, I think about S$150+.

Terence said:
50mm ÷ 90mm = 1:1.81 magnification

If you wanted 1:1 for a 90mm, then it's 90mm worth of tubes you need to stack on.

The Tamron 90mm is able to shoot 1:1 without any extension tube, just double check again on my lens.

catchlights said:
The Tamron 90mm is able to shoot 1:1 without any extension tube, just double check again on my lens.

Then he gets 2:1, even better! Forgot he was referring to the 90 macro.

Snoweagle said:
Even better, get the MP-E 65mm Macro. U get 5:1!

The shot above was made with the MP-E 65 at 5x. Not an easy lens to use.

Terence said:
The shot above was made with the MP-E 65 at 5x. Not an easy lens to use.

I agree...tried it once and a tripod is a must. The slightest move will cause the image to blur out.

Status
Not open for further replies.