How do i remove internal reflection from filter lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skygazer

Aug 25, 2008
Hi Bros/sisters out there,
i hv taken some indoor shoots lately and there are some strong lights shining directly at an angle to my lens, which resulted in my pics having those bright ghost spots - seemed like an internal reflection of my filter lens.
Am using 450D with clear hoya filter (uv guard) lens.. can some kind experts here advise me how to avoid such internal reflections? many tks in adv!.. :)

Also, i realise that when i take indoor shoots (in recent motorshow), the models image doesnt appear as crisp n sharp as the car (can see the crisp reflections).. m using kit lens EFS18-55 IS USM, can advise the problem here lies in that i shoot without flash? or is it bec the lens are not gd enuh? tks heaps again for yr kind advice! :)

Last edited:
Got sample pic?

Mount it on a tripod, take a shot, try to force the "internal reflections", then, remove the filter, and take another shot, see if the reflections are still there

remove the filter before shooting.

or the more expensive option, get a filter with better coatings..

hi hi.. the 'ghost reflections' are behind the model :

IMG_0848.jpg

The followingg shot seemed 'blurr', even tho my AF is on the face of the model...can someone help advise how i can obtain better or rather 'clearer' shots? many tks!

IMG_0966.jpg

hi skygazer, your AF maybe on the model's face but your shutter speed is 1/15 so will shake a bit (unless you've got really steady hands). maybe can up the ISO or best, get a fast lens tho that will hurt your pocket,haha.

Tks bro. m using Av mode, can advise me hw to increase shutter speed? or which fastlens shld i invest in in such events, if not, will ext flash help give a better crisp result? many tks for yr kind advice!

or the more expensive option, get a filter with better coatings..

still have a high chance of reflections - it's the glass on the sensor that causes the initial reflection. this doesn't happen with film. removing the filter is your best bet.

my brother had this problem with his alpha 350 and 50mm f/1.4 lens. the problem was due to the filter he used. even hoya hmc filter didnt help. only the expensive b+w filter eliminated the problem.

Tks bro. m using Av mode, can advise me hw to increase shutter speed? or which fastlens shld i invest in in such events, if not, will ext flash help give a better crisp result? many tks for yr kind advice!

Increase ISO speed, open aperture. This should bring shutter speed up to a value where handshake is not an issue anymore. Rule of thumb for handhold: shutter speed (in s) <= 1 / focal length. Since your focal length is around 50mm you should try to get 1/50s or faster.

Btw: what lens are you using? I can't find any kit lens EFS18-55 IS USM in the lens lineup of Canon. The two EF-S 18-55 lenses either have IS or USM, but not both together. The aperture in the picture is f/5.6 - which is the maximum aperture for 55mm for these lenses. A faster lens could be EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM or AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD (but no IS and USM) or Tokina AT-X 16-50mm f/2.8 Pro DX or Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC. Have a look at the reviews and decide what you need and what your wallet can bear.
But keep in mind that f/2.8 reduces also the Depth of Field. De

Flash can also help here. But the mixture of ambient light of various sources plus flash is a challenge for the white balance. You will need bounce flash and / or diffuser, otherwise only the girl is brightly lit but the background is dark.

Last edited:
Tks bro. but how do i
....should try to get 1/50s or faster.
in AV mode? pls pardon my ignorance... grateful for yr kind advice.

Tks bro. but how do i

Remember amt of light hitting sensor dependant on aperture size and shutter speed.

1) If aperture size small (=bigger f number) less light goes thru, so need slower shutter speed for x amount of light to reach sensor

2) So to get similar x amount of light, need bigger aperture (= smaller f number), more light goes thru and hence faster shutter speed

Remember: bigger aperture, faster shutter speed and vice versa. This applies to all modes.

Increase ISO speed, open aperture. This should bring shutter speed up to a value where handshake is not an issue anymore. Rule of thumb for handhold: shutter speed (in s) <= 1 / focal length. Since your focal length is around 50mm you should try to get 1/50s or faster.

Btw: what lens are you using? I can't find any kit lens EFS18-55 IS USM in the lens lineup of Canon. The two EF-S 18-55 lenses either have IS or USM, but not both together. The aperture in the picture is f/5.6 - which is the maximum aperture for 55mm for these lenses. A faster lens could be EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM or AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD (but no IS and USM) or Tokina AT-X 16-50mm f/2.8 Pro DX or Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC. Have a look at the reviews and decide what you need and what your wallet can bear.
But keep in mind that f/2.8 reduces also the Depth of Field. De

Flash can also help here. But the mixture of ambient light of various sources plus flash is a challenge for the white balance. You will need bounce flash and / or diffuser, otherwise only the girl is brightly lit but the background is dark.

sorry to make a correction. Canon has two versions of the 18-55 range. one is the 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 which uses MM motors and the other is 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS which also uses MM motors. there is no 18-55 that has USM.

sorry to make a correction. Canon has two versions of the 18-55 range. one is the 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 which uses MM motors and the other is 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS which also uses MM motors. there is no 18-55 that has USM.

I checked with the Canon web site. They state the non-IS lens as 'USM". Thanks for the correction.

Tks bro. but how do i

You want to still stick to AV mode and get a faster shutter speed? You posted the question after an option was already posted by others, so I'm not sure if you missed it, increase your ISO.

Last edited:

There is a USM version. Just not that commonly used. It's a micro-USM i believe.

There is a USM version. Just not that commonly used. It's a micro-USM i believe.

Yes. The 18-55mm without IS but has USM version is the japan kit lens version. hard to find locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.