how do i prevent cropping when i send photos for developing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

denn23

Dec 22, 2003
i tried searching the forum but i coulndt find any topic on it so i hope someone can help.

its prolly a very noob question to u guys..

the last time i sent my photos taken in my ixus 400 to the photoshop to be developed, some part of the photo was cut off. (i.e. top)

how can i prevent that from happening?

is it true that if i tell the people in the shop that i want to develop with borders, then everthing will fit nicely?

thanks!!

oh, i read about the 4:3 ratio thingie..

i have no idea wat that is all about.

what size are you printing?
if you're printing 4r, the ratio of the image is 2:3 or 4"X6". Your ixus 400's sensor ratio is 4:3, which refers to the ratio of the dimensions of the sensor(ie. length:width), which means it will produce an image that is 4:3 instead of 2:3 which is produced by 135 film or most DSLRs. Before sending the images in to the print shop, try cropping them first to 2:3. Alternatively, print 6r, which is 6"x8"(4:3)

Soo Kee Color, FujiFilm Digital Imaging, prints a size with a 4-inch height, but uncropped, so the prints are less wide than 4R.

I believe this chain has many branches. I went to the one at Raffles Place.

A newbie here as well, but I'll just share what I know. Most of the time i'll just keep quiet :bsmilie:
If I am not wrong, digital cameras will only have 2 ratio aspect (ratio of width and height)...namely 3:2 or 4:3
If using 3:2 ratio, you can print standard 4R (4" x 6") using the full image
If using 4:3 ratio, you can print 4R (but 4" x 5.33") without cropping your image

I believe most shops will ask whether you want "full" or "cropped" image.
So if using 4:3 ratio and you want to print standard 4R (4" x 6"), you got to choose "cropped" image
If you choose "full" image, then the actual size of yoru printed photo will be smaller.
Hope this helps you :)

catchlights said:
There is a size call digital 4R, ratio is about 645, check with them.
Yes it's commonly known as the Digital 4R in most labs. However, one of the issue is that most labs cant print it out without the irritating 2 white border. Rational - you are printing 4x3 on a 4x6 paper so sure have border one. I know some labs can give you a 4x3 printout without the 2 white border. :dunno:

get the right perspective , leave some space on the edge...

xing: w/o w/border, i think already cropped out... :)

logic, how can 4:3 w/o cropp on a 3:2 paper :think:

Ehhh...

OT:
I was told that for 4R, if I set my image at 1840x1232, 300DPI, and quote "no resize", the print from the fuji machine will produce exactly as I wanted.

i.e. if I have 1 pixel border on my photo, that 1 pixel will show on the printout.

True?

AReality said:
Ehhh...

OT:
I was told that for 4R, if I set my image at 1840x1232, 300DPI, and quote "no resize", the print from the fuji machine will produce exactly as I wanted.

i.e. if I have 1 pixel border on my photo, that 1 pixel will show on the printout.

True?

"no resize" is call Fit in, default setting is Fill in, so there is cropping.

catchlights said:
"no resize" is call Fit in, default setting is Fill in, so there is cropping.
coz that time i was trying to print something which have borders added in by me.

denn23 said:
i tried searching the forum but i coulndt find any topic on it so i hope someone can help.

its prolly a very noob question to u guys..

the last time i sent my photos taken in my ixus 400 to the photoshop to be developed, some part of the photo was cut off. (i.e. top)

how can i prevent that from happening?

is it true that if i tell the people in the shop that i want to develop with borders, then everthing will fit nicely?

thanks!!

I think you can ask for DSCN prints, which are bigger than 4R prints in height(landscape wise). A DSCN print will not crop ur digital image which is in 4:3 size. Or alternatively set ur cam to capture 3:2 size image(if there is this function) if you wan to print 4R.:)
PS: You will hv to buy the DSCN-size album separately.

AReality said:
coz that time i was trying to print something which have borders added in by me.

If you want to add you own borders, try to have thicker borders, so if it is not balance or parallel on four sides, the problems will not that obvious compare to a thinner borders.

ok...

i got a bit lost along the way. so let me try to reply

Stoned: issit 6R huge? i just want a normal 4R photo to be printed. So, the right ratio should be 2:3 instead of ixus 400's 4:3. WHY then did they not make the camera 2:3? makes amatuer like me such a headache. is it possible to set the ratio to 2:3? When u mention croppin, do u mean in photoshop?

kaywalk: Im in aussieland.. =)

ortega: i wish it was that simple.. i did tell them that.. and they still chop off my head. :(

me_jul: good explanation for a noob like me.. thanks.. when u mention 'full image' will be smaller, its not that bad right? i mean.. does it have 4 white borders?

catchlights, xing: digital 4R? never heard of that. does it suck?

rexlim: i think DSCN prints is out of the question. im not even a photographer.. just want to know the best way to print. thanks anyway! =)

ALL: does it make a difference if i have my photo taken in width 1024 or width 640. All i know is that the pic turns out better. any other benefits? thanks
also, i saw some pics with 4 white borders along the sides. almost like a photo frame.. is there such an option and does it prevent the cropping problem?

When choose "full" image (i assume you are toking about the last point in my explaination), the actual physical size of the photo will not be 4R anymore. And yes, no white borders.

me_jul said:
When choose "full" image (i assume you are toking about the last point in my explaination), the actual physical size of the photo will not be 4R anymore. And yes, no white borders.

u mean there are no white borders or there are 4 borders. (like a picture frame)

denn23 said:
u mean there are no white borders or there are 4 borders. (like a picture frame)

haha...now u r confusing me there:confused:
Not too sure I am getting you right...but what I meant was no white borders at all.
What you see on your pic is what you get on print...BUT the actual physical size of the photo itself is smaller than the normal 4R size

Hi Denn23,

Maybe you din quite get me.:)

Some DC hv function to select the output image size from 4:3(DSCN) to 3:2(4R).
Not sure if ixus 400 got this feature. Maybe you can chk ur manual.
If not, bet you gotta gv some space allowances when framing ur photos next time liao.:)

Hope these help!

Note: DSCN prints cost the same as 4R prints. It's oni 1-2cm wider in width.

Status
Not open for further replies.