How do i know if a Flash is made for Nikon or Canon camera?

Kestery

Aug 6, 2012
Hougang
Hi. I'm new to photography, and i'm purchasing a Yongnuo YN-565EX for my Nikon D5100.

I am buying it as a 2nd-hand and i am wondering how do i check if the flash is made for my camera since there's another one that is made for Canon cameras.
(My camera is being serviced currently, thus i can't bring it out to check.)

There is something about the mount shaped or something if i'm not wrong.

Any Help guys? thanks!

Hi, not a pro here but maybe you can check the pins at the bottom of the flash
Nikon system has 4 sharp pointy contacts at the bottom
Optionally(better), wait till you have your camera then make your purchase :)
All the best
* correct me if I'm wrong

Hi. I'm new to photography, and i'm purchasing a Yongnuo YN-565EX for my Nikon D5100.

I am buying it as a 2nd-hand and i am wondering how do i check if the flash is made for my camera since there's another one that is made for Canon cameras.

Any Help guys? thanks!

Nikon Hotshoe Pinouts
http://pinoutsguide.com/DigitalCameras/nikon_hotshoe_pinout.shtml

Last edited:

Any Help guys? thanks!

Always bring your camera along to test the flash/lens you are getting. If your camera is not with you, borrow one or wait till you have your camera.

The layout of the pins on canon/Nikon cameras are different. Very obvious. However, a canon camera can fire a Nikon flash anyway, albeit in manual mode only

1. Always have your own camera to test out. Wait for it to be back.
2. Check out Google/Youtube to see if anyone using. Seems like there are.
3. Ask for advice on online forums (like this)

ditto above

anyway another reason is EVEN if the flash and camera brand are compatible , u want to make sure the flash can fire from the camera .... u dont want something like a faulty pin , tightening screw that wont tighten down , distorted mount in a compatible flash to haunt your purchase

Last edited:
How about meeting at best denki or courts where they have demo sets on display, test it there on the spot :)

Worked for me when I was selling my m4/3 lenses and I had no body to allow buyer to test (cos sold already) & buyer didn't have body with him.

Since Canon camera can fire a Nikon flash (in manual setting), one should rather see whether the flash settings can be adjusted from the camera. Only then it becomes clear whether the flash and camera work together. Check your camera manual to see which flash settings can be adjusted from the camera. If external flash settings are disabled in camera menu usually it means that flash is not recognized. (Ok, dirty contacts can cause the same but is easily resolved.)

Wow! Thanks a lot gentlemen!
I guess I'll just have to wait for my camera to be back to test it out, that's the best option right now.
it seems very troublesome for a newbie like me to acquire new photography skills.
never thought buying a flash would be that complicated now hah!
Also, what are some things i can check when i attach the flash to my DSLR?
Like checking whether different functions of the flash really works.

Kestery said:
Wow! Thanks a lot gentlemen!
I guess I'll just have to wait for my camera to be back to test it out, that's the best option right now.
it seems very troublesome for a newbie like me to acquire new photography skills.
never thought buying a flash would be that complicated now hah!
Also, what are some things i can check when i attach the flash to my DSLR?
Like checking whether different functions of the flash really works.

Well you should check of all the buttons are working. And if it is a TTL flash then test it on the seller and see if it overexposed your poctures