How do i create an invoice for customers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duinchlfc

Aug 29, 2006
Sengkang
Any software or something? I have no clue in this,thanks for your help ladies and gentlemen :)

I'm interested to know as well.

I'm also curious about the phrasing and wording used in contracts and agreements in order to safeguard yourself. Any guidelines on that?

Sorry to ride on your thread, hope you don't mind (will remove the extra question should you request thatI do so)

check out the templates in Microsoft Word. They have some that you can download and use for free.

I am from the finance sector.
Use a simple excel will do.

Assume that the customer wants a receipt to claim, eg. for company event.

just create running number invoice number, in a worksheet, not to overwrite them.
Eg. go via month, and your own personal prefix. for me could be -
BP120701 (B = bwilly, P = period, 1207 = Dec07, first transaction = 01)
It will also be a good reference if the customer need to refer, and also for yourself too.

Description, pricing. GST not included, so no need.
Sub-total, total column for pricing. Includes deposit column, money balance to be paid, all formluated. Easier for you to keep track and lesser of computation error.
Your own company/personal name with header (scan and paste on the worksheet)
Customer name.

Terms and conditions need to be included in the receipt/invoice. Mostly to protect yourself.
For photographer, your liability and your responsibility. deposit paid, and photos not collected, what is the procedure? Time frame given? Deposit forfeited?
And very important clause, anything not included in the term and conditon, not included.
The term and condition, only you will know what to add, depends on your own business portfolio. If too many, include it on the back page of invoice, with a small prefix at the front page of invoice * term and conditon apply, refer to back page.

I'll just add on to suggest that the "small prefix" shouldn't be too small - after all, you don't want a customer to deny liability by saying that insufficient notice was brought to his attention that there were T&Cs on the reverse side.

A good legal practice is to put such a statement that the person has read and agree to the conditions overleaf, at the part where he signs for it.

Typically however, this is more an order sheet than an invoice. By the time an invoice is issued, the transaction would have already been concluded.

I am from the finance sector.
Use a simple excel will do.

Assume that the customer wants a receipt to claim, eg. for company event.

just create running number invoice number, in a worksheet, not to overwrite them.
Eg. go via month, and your own personal prefix. for me could be -
BP120701 (B = bwilly, P = period, 1207 = Dec07, first transaction = 01)
It will also be a good reference if the customer need to refer, and also for yourself too.

Description, pricing. GST not included, so no need.
Sub-total, total column for pricing. Includes deposit column, money balance to be paid, all formluated. Easier for you to keep track and lesser of computation error.
Your own company/personal name with header (scan and paste on the worksheet)
Customer name.

Terms and conditions need to be included in the receipt/invoice. Mostly to protect yourself.
For photographer, your liability and your responsibility. deposit paid, and photos not collected, what is the procedure? Time frame given? Deposit forfeited?
And very important clause, anything not included in the term and conditon, not included.
The term and condition, only you will know what to add, depends on your own business portfolio. If too many, include it on the back page of invoice, with a small prefix at the front page of invoice * term and conditon apply, refer to back page.

business softwares for photographers are not cheap, and no really practical of for low volume usage.

like other said, you can use word, or excel to do it, just copy the format from some invoice you received, especially those from service providers.

typical of business to put a disclaimer on the front page to ask customer to read.
Even everywhere when you goes, eg. carpark, swimming pool, hotel, they need to stated and a prominent place of the term and conditions to limit their liability.

Unless its a million dollar business, nobody bothers to read.
There will be seperate contract and notes different from the invoice if its a big business.
Do you read each and every invoice or before you enter the carpark? prior to that already should have stated.

More like when customer place a deposit, the same invoice format will tell them their rights and yours. What is cover and what is don't. You don't want to confuse yourself with an invoice for a deposit another for service rendered, no consistency and confuse yourself as well as the customer (if he wants to claim expense or tax rebate)

is it okie to type the invoice together with the agreement?
ie wedding photography?

so when 3parties sign .. bride/groom/photographer .. solve everything at a go

is it okie to type the invoice together with the agreement?
ie wedding photography?

so when 3parties sign .. bride/groom/photographer .. solve everything at a go
invoice = bill.
when you issue invoice, the goods or service are already render, isn't it too late to ask the client sign the agreement??

Yeap, my point exactly in post #6

my bad..
wat i mean was for ie wedding photography where a deposit is required
so do we need still need to issue an invoice? or the agreement itself is consider a 'invoice'

where usually the agreement state that the client need to pay $### as a deposit is due at the signing of blah blah etc ..

:)

my bad..
so do we need still need to issue an invoice? or the agreement itself is consider a 'invoice'

where usually the agreement state that the client need to pay $### as a deposit is due at the signing of blah blah etc ..

The agreement is a 'contract'. After you've done as what was agreed, you bill your client using 'invoice' or a simple receipt.

my bad..

if you like paper work, you can ask couple to issue you a purchase order or job order, than you ask them to sign a contract or agreement, when you go and shoot their wedding, you ask them to sign a service render notice, by the time you deliver the album, you issue them a delivery order, when they sign this and return it to you, you are good to issue them a invoice.

btw, when you received the payment, you send them a receipt of payment.

hope this help.

The agreement is a 'contract'. After you've done as what was agreed, you bill your client using 'invoice' or a simple receipt.

if you like paper work, you can ask couple to issue you a purchase order or job order, than you ask them to sign a contract or agreement, when you go and shoot their wedding, you ask them to sign a service render notice, by the time you deliver the album, you issue them a delivery order, when they sign this and return it to you, you are good to issue them a invoice.

btw, when you received the payment, you send them a receipt of payment.

hope this help.

tks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.