How do I clean the prism in the camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sin

Hi,

Need some advice on cleaning.

Recently spotted some hair like stuff in my viewfinder. Blowing with air blower has not been able to dislodge the hair strand and some spots.

Camera has been kept in dry box, so don't really suspect fungus. But somehow the "dust" refuse to be blown away from the spot.

Can I clean it with lens cloth? Len cleaning fluid? or should I send it to the agent/Nikon/repair shop??

Thanks

Originally posted by Sin
Hi,

Need some advice on cleaning.

Recently spotted some hair like stuff in my viewfinder. Blowing with air blower has not been able to dislodge the hair strand and some spots.

Camera has been kept in dry box, so don't really suspect fungus. But somehow the "dust" refuse to be blown away from the spot.

Can I clean it with lens cloth? Len cleaning fluid? or should I send it to the agent/Nikon/repair shop??

Thanks

It will not affect your picture, so don't really have to bother. If you want, send it in for cleaning. Unless you have very dexterious hands/fingers. 15 years ago, a friend tried to use a jewellers screwdriver to open the release catch of the focussing screen on his Minolta X-300 for cleaning, slipped and drew a nice deep line across. Of course, it did not affect pictures, but it's irritating.

He upgraded to a Nikon F601 later.

Regards
CK

I know it doesn't hurt the pic. Just find it damn irritating.

Anyway, can I try to clean with lens cloth? I think I did that without thinking last night....was late and sleepy....sigh

Oh forgot to mention that the hair or dust is on the prism...just above the mirror in the camera...

Originally posted by Sin
I know it doesn't hurt the pic. Just find it damn irritating.

Anyway, can I try to clean with lens cloth? I think I did that without thinking last night....was late and sleepy....sigh

Just don't blame me if it gets scratched. They are quite soft. You might want to try to buy one of those little anti static brushes from Cathay. $17 for the cloth + brush set. Can last a lifetime.

Or give me the camera and buy a new one. I don't mind the dust. :p

Regards
CK

Tried brushing too and didn't help...
:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.