How do hills in Singapore get numbered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I am not mistaken, the number refers to the height of the hill in feet. I learned about this during my NS days. For example, hill 180 in Marsiling refers to that particular hill which height has been officially certified at 180 feet.

If I am not mistaken, the number refers to the height of the hill in feet. I learned about this during my NS days. For example, hill 180 in Marsiling refers to that particular hill which height has been officially certified at 180 feet.

My suspicions were that too, if not would be like those maps viewed from the top which had countours with numbers on them?

I found this from an interesting blog

http://ivyidaong2.blogspot.com/2007/05/woodlands-town-park-east-most-people.html

The hill mentioned is called Hill 130. I been there before...it's quite tall, summit could be said as tall as a 12-storeyed hdb block in the area.

base armorers shd know it...as they have the best maps available...which will show u of course where things r hid...

Go see it you find a surveying marker on the ground. I think they call it trigonometrical station. It's a piece of round steep cap embedded into the ground with a number.

It's AMSL + 100. Dont ask me why they add a 100 in front of the height. :think::dunno:

This is used in levelling. 100 (actually 100 metres) is always added to the height above admiralty chart datum level (mean sea level) to make it easier for writing and reading. Imaging, if the height is only half a metre above mean sea level, the reading would have been 0.500 and not 100.500. For marine works, for example, heights of piles or other structures could be below sea level and if not for the adoption of adding 100, 2.5 metres below sea level would have given a reading of -2.500 instead of 97.500. Negative readings make things difficult.

Furthermore, the so called trigonometrical station mentioned by redstone is actually called a benchmark.

I would have thought....
Hill number 1, hill number 2, hill number 3 ... etc :bsmilie:

Sorry :) I just had too :bsmilie:

So how does the 130 in "Hill 130" come about?

Different hills in Singapore seem to have different numbers like Hill 265, Hill 581, Hill 280, Hill 286.

Likely to be numbers for height in feet, according to wiki's Bukit Timah, 531 feet...quite close to Hill 581.

I did fine this "highest mountains" link...but don't see any connections (layman terms)

Wiki on Bukit Timah

Hill numbers seen here quoted by someone else

Last edited:
I believe it's more of a tactical naming...

more for Armed forces use.

I believe it's more of a tactical naming...

more for Armed forces use.

Might be, might not. Can't seem to find any official reference. Maybe it's some slang lingo among enthusaists? (pardon the spelling)

Status
Not open for further replies.