how do get strong b/w

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuxion

Jun 22, 2005
I m very curious how some photographers shoot strong b/w like these?
is there any special post processing techniques, apparently my b/w always seems grey and lack the depth.. i notice i m only able to get pure b/w when i was using film before i upgrade to digital

check out his site
http://www.wprasek.com/photos/showimage.php?gal=2004-06_bedford_cambridge&sub=&img=024

Have you considered colour filters??

what type of filters.. i tried correcting the channels with photoshop but still doesnt look good..should i shoot b/w in raw?

hrmmm.... You know... Coloured filters like Red, yellow, orange filters?

Alternatively, what you can do is to shoot in colour, then use photoshop's channel mixer to convert to greyscale...

yup tried both.. still not black enough... hmm.. wat could be the reason..have u seen the pic.. do u find it extremely b/w .

1. Open Levels and adjust end sliders to correspond with the start/end of the histogram.
2. Play with the different channels in Channel Mixer (monochrome mode) for best effect.
3. Tweak the contrast further using Curves.
4. Optionally duplicate the layer and set the layer option to "Soft Light".

This should give you something like this:-

DSC_7335_bw.jpg

Regards
CK

ok. thnks for the tips.

One thing I realised about the link kuxion gave...

The church spire looks a bit fake. I'm not much of an expert, but I feel the contrast is too high. It looks like the spire was just layered on top of the sky. The contrast is not consistent between the spire and the sky itself.

IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.