How do camera shops store their cameras and lens?

Raptor2k7

Jul 8, 2010
Do they take the cameras and lens out from the box and store them in a dry cabinet before they close up? I suppose thats impossible?

They leave them on the shelves.

hence better check for fungus if you are buying old lens.. but normally they do have maintenance

the store is air-conditioned, so it remains pretty dry.

Goes to show that the lenses and cameras are made of sterner stuff than most people give them credit for.
All those "how should I store my lens/camera inside the dry cabinet?" threads seem to suggest that the fungus is just waiting to infest the gear within 24 hours... :)

you should go down to TCW and see how they store their sec hand lenses and body. If they really need to store inside dry cabinet, they need at least 2 hrs to close shop everyday and need to come 2hrs earlier to open shop. LOL. unless their dry cabinet really big that they can throw all lenses and body inside.. haha.

Do they take the cameras and lens out from the box and store them in a dry cabinet before they close up? I suppose thats impossible?

Most shops have air-con.. they jus leave it on the shelves..

the store is air-conditioned, so it remains pretty dry.

Goes to show that the lenses and cameras are made of sterner stuff than most people give them credit for.
All those "how should I store my lens/camera inside the dry cabinet?" threads seem to suggest that the fungus is just waiting to infest the gear within 24 hours... :)

:bsmilie::bsmilie:

in short, they are turning on AC for 24 hours?

Which is WHY some peeps store their lenses in the office, provided the aircon is opened 24/7! :D But no need of course, do you carry a portable air con around when you go shoot outside for hours?

Last edited:
outside got UV light mah from the sun..

in short, they are turning on AC for 24 hours?

outside got UV light mah from the sun..

It's true... The UV light is beneficial in the efforts to prevent fungal growth.
If you've gone into a shopping centre like Funan before it fully opens (I have :) ), you can feel the heat (AC just turned on), but yet the air still remains quite dry. So I think the reduced humidity is the main factor that allows the lenses to be safely stored in the shop, and not become infested with fungus.
AC need not be on for 24 hours...

so in short, if the store no AC (fans only) and wide open daily, is it save?

here's my feel.

the shop owners or staff dun take out the lens (out of the shop) to try/shoot and sweat or other moisture that gets accumulated on the lens vs the lens you been using for every shoot out.

so while those lens in the shop are safe just by storing in the shop

those lens in your home is not safe cos you are using it pretty often?

although using your lens often can help to reduce the risk but then how u maintain after use is another issue.

- do you chuck it aside on your table after each use
- do you chuck inside your camera bag (which might gets wet in rainy days)
etc

here's my feel.

the shop owners or staff dun take out the lens (out of the shop) to try/shoot and sweat or other moisture that gets accumulated on the lens vs the lens you been using for every shoot out.

so while those lens in the shop are safe just by storing in the shop

those lens in your home is not safe cos you are using it pretty often?

although using your lens often can help to reduce the risk but then how u maintain after use is another issue.

- do you chuck it aside on your table after each use
- do you chuck inside your camera bag (which might gets wet in rainy days)
etc

Actually in the end, it is the air-con in the store that is keeping the air dryer.

Even those open stores, if you look closely, they all have doors or air curtains installed. Air curtains are those long blower things at the top of the doors that blows a sheet of air downwards all the time. It will keep the cold air in the store. You can see it at NTUC and shopping centers also...

How come ppl can't seem to accept that it's the AC that keeps the air dry, and hence there is less risk of fungal growth?

is it not advisable to leave my DSLR in my aircon room then morning i bring it to my living room(without aircon) right?