How could such a flawed system be in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zekai

May 10, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Every so often, I get my Internet Service Provider, Telephone service company mailers encouraging me to pay my bills with GIRO. There are often attractive discounts and free gifts when you sign up to pay their GIRO.

I like to share my experience with all readers on my reluctance to accept this flawed system.

Earlier this week, I received my Starhub Max Online bill with an extra $200 added into it. Being prompt with my payments, I was shocked and angry that such mistakes are allowed to occur. After complaining to Starhub, I was informed after 2 days had passed that it was their billing error. Further enquires revealed that had I use GIRO, a refund would have taken 2 weeks. I am puzzled, they are holding my money illegally and without interest. I feel that even 1 day is 1 too many.

This is not an isolated incident. In my previous bill, I was charged double my subscription for reasons not known to me except computer glitches. In the same 1 year period I was also charged for Max TV that I already terminated, by human error. I was also charged for some weird quiz game that I did not subscribe to.

Every time I had to spend up to 15-20 mins waiting by the phone to speak to the customer service officer. It is a time wasting, energy sapping and emotionally draining exercise that spoils my otherwise pleasant day.

Had I been on GIRO I would have to wait at least 2 week to get my money. 2 weeks is also not a guarantee. Recently I help my father obtained a refund of $258, a sum that was overpaid because of Starhub mistake. It took 3 months and numerous angry phone conversations.

Had I not check my bill as well, I would have lost my money. How could such a flawed system be in place.

complain to CASE..... i been using Singnet /....... so far so good

Hi Zekiat

Better check too if your account was not hacked into, if you hadn't done any games through it how can they charge you for it?

Hong Sien

actually so far, they had all been billing errors.

I just cannot accept so many errors.

This is one reason why I don't trust GIRO. It makes things too convenient. Luckily you were conscientious enough to check your bills.

Suggest you write to the Straits Times forum to get better results ;)

i also kenna before....not only scv, my starhub mobile account also

but i still pay by GIRO cos i lazy :D

be more careful and check everytime lor....

in the end, the extra $$ i pay were "pro-rated" to next mth bill

Have you tried GIRO-On-Demand (GOOD :rolleyes: ) ? Allows you to pay your bills online via Virtual Post (www.vpost.com.sg) using a GIRO-linked account. Works the same as internet banking.

If it is not the GIRO system that is flawed....;)

It is .... (fill in company name) billing system then:D

talk about being weird.
My aunt has used GIRO to pay her Singtel bills for the past 2 years, until something screwed up.

You know that on singtel bills, they will state that $XX.XX wil be deducted from your (bank name) account XXX-XXxxXXx-Xxx on (date?)

In her May bill, the bank name and acccount number was NOT hers.
She didn't bother to look at the bill.
The GIRO transcation did not go through, and in her June bill, the GIRO application was cancelled, the May outstanding balance carried forward.

She didn't look at the June bill as well, and she noticed about this when they sent a 'red-letter' to her for a final reminder.

Haha.

This is the reason I terminated all my GIRO payments. My friend got an erroneous PUB bill of $870 instead of $79.xx (which was the real amount, clarified by PUB later) one month. He had less than $870 in the bank account and the GIRO payment failed. He had big problems with PUB and it took a long time to sort out. These days I just pay everything by cheque... ISP, tax, credit card bills, PUB etc.

Actually, GIRO is a very nice system, but individual companies handling GIRO billing make so many blunders and cause so much hassle getting refunds that it is too much of a pain in the a** to use. No more GIRO for me.

However, remember that if your EZlink card is GIRO linked then you can call them and cancel it if it's stolen and you don't lose the money (or so they told me on the phone). I lost my EZlink card (not GIRO) with $40 on it and they couldn't do anything. :( :( :(

Its been so many years and starhub cannot get it's house in order

You know whats the best part? Mobile phone operators do not show you ur itemized bill, so if they charge high high you also cannot dispute it cos u have no idea if its correct or not. to ask for an itemized bill you need to pay i think 15 or 20 bucks, which is meant to strongly discourage pple

in this way, they keep their "mistakes" hidden and customers keep paying blindly month afer month.

imagine if someone finds out there is a mistake (perhaps he's paranoid and wnats to see his itemized bills), it will be a media fanfare and maybe there will be laws to show itemized billings now.

Originally posted by sriram
This is the reason I terminated all my GIRO payments. My friend got an erroneous PUB bill of $870 instead of $79.xx (which was the real amount, clarified by PUB later) one month. He had less than $870 in the bank account and the GIRO payment failed. He had big problems with PUB and it took a long time to sort out. These days I just pay everything by cheque... ISP, tax, credit card bills, PUB etc.

Actually, GIRO is a very nice system, but individual companies handling GIRO billing make so many blunders and cause so much hassle getting refunds that it is too much of a pain in the a** to use. No more GIRO for me.

However, remember that if your EZlink card is GIRO linked then you can call them and cancel it if it's stolen and you don't lose the money (or so they told me on the phone). I lost my EZlink card (not GIRO) with $40 on it and they couldn't do anything. :( :( :(

Great! Same reason for me, and you know what? I mostly pay very close to the end of the period I am supposed to pay, serves them right! Anyway, with SAM and AXS almost everywhere it is so easy to pay these bills.

Hong Sien

One way of preventing GIRO from deducting frivolous amounts from your account would be to impose a cap on the amount each company can deduct from your account, which is useful if you know your monthly consumption of handphone/water/electricity bills do not exceed certain amounts.

Did that to my M1's GIRO link before, set a $100 limit, forgot about it until there was one month when I had a high usage beyond $100, and the deduction didn't go through, and had to pay through the SAM. Better to go through more trouble to pay a genuinely high bill than to go through the hassle of trying to recover money that was paid erroneously.

Just to ask, why are you guys still using SAM/AXS?
Internet banking will do the trick.... :)

agree.. giro only good for transit link ez link stuff.
those that require more money will be internet banking.
if u make it too easy for them to take your money, they will.. and they will do so early. i rather let me money accumulate another month's interest before paying them.

but i've got a friend on starhub who never got billed for 3 years at all... so sometimes starhub's mistakes are good mistakes. of cuz they realised it and wanted to start billing him, he switched operators i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.