How come the price of older models dslr and second hand dlsr are still high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abimanyuboentaran

Deregistered
Dec 15, 2009
How come obsolete cameras such as 5d, 450d, and some others that have been replaced by new models still commands high price? some of these cameras are old stock but their prices are like new prices.

The prices of second hand dlsr, regardless of condition, is absurd. these are digital rot but manufacturers and sellers refuse to treat these older dlsr as such.

new models just adds more useless features that 90% of the time photographers don't even use or know how to use. DSLR has become so complicated that it takes more and more time to change a setting and to scroll down endless menus.

Canon and Nikon should copy Leica's M9 ergonomics, but no, Canon and Nikon needs to add gimmicks in order to sell more cameras. Bogus!

:dunno: ditto whats you point ???

you complaining of high prices of 2nd hand dslrs or complaining about new dslrs with too many built in gimmicks ?

as soon as a new model comes out the old new stock should be on closeout 50% off, that's my point.duh.

don't like the price of second hand stuffs then don't buy... kao peh kao bu here won't help...

Money is in your hands. Choice is yours.

1. Don't buy.
2. If you really want to solve the "problem", grow up fast, buy up all the Nikon and Canon shares, be the sole owner and sell us everything at 50% less and we all going to love you. :)

for example, suddenly there are 450D on the shelve and the replacement 500D, I'm talking about Canons here the price of the 450D is about U$ 650 with the kit lens and the 500D is U$ 650, now what's wrong with that picture?

I also browsed the WTS ads in this forum and somebody is selling a d90 for Sing 2500?for a second hand? absurd! it doesn't matter what the condition of the camera, in 4 months it is worth jack.

don' t be dumb enough to invest in bodies, invest in lenses, duh!

That's economics my friend.... Supply and demand. Why pay so much for an original Van Gogh painting. Can get a copy for the price of a pack of peanuts.
If your perception is that the price of old dslr is too high, don't buy.

for example, suddenly there are 450D on the shelve and the replacement 500D, I'm talking about Canons here the price of the 450D is about U$ 650 with the kit lens and the 500D is U$ 650, now what's wrong with that picture?

I also browsed the WTS ads in this forum and somebody is selling a d90 for Sing 2500?for a second hand? absurd! it doesn't matter what the condition of the camera, in 4 months it is worth jack.

Show the thread of the sing 2500 for a d90

I also noticed that 2nd hand photography items really seem to keep their value.

Brand new lens costing S$1500 new and people are buying out of warranty 2nd hand ones for S$1250. 50mm f/1.8 brand new at $125 and its being grab at $100-$110.

Its great since people lose less $ when they wanna exit this hobby. :)

Show the thread of the sing 2500 for a d90

if you are talking about this
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638825
please open your eyes and read properly dude

as soon as a new model comes out the old new stock should be on closeout 50% off, that's my point.duh.

Why? What makes you think that suddenly all existing camera are of limited value (in terms of usage) once a new model is released? Are the features limited? Do they become incompatible with lenses, flashes or even daylight? If the answer is negative then what is your point of labeling these camera 'digital rot'? Quite uncalled for ..

To just clear the air abit...

I saw the D90 post u are refering to...he is selling the D90 + 2 tamron lenses + raynox macro converter for $2.5k as a whole package...

He also posted if just for the D90 only it is $1300..the current D90 price (1st hand) is around $1660 i believe

Last edited:

dont ask people not to be dumb...when you never see whats in the 2500 d90 package
it comes with 18-270 lens + an ultra wide.

willing buyer willing seller. dont like the price? just dont buy!. do you think that sellers that mark up their price too much can sell their stuff?

and why when new model comes out the old one must lose 50% value? dont make sense. imagine i buy a BMW in 09 and 10 comes out a new BMW model, should my BMW 09 lose 50% of value.

your logic is totally flawed.

btw if you keep say a D40 in working condition for the next 200 years, the d40 value might even increase!

How come obsolete cameras such as 5d, 450d, and some others that have been replaced by new models still commands high price? some of these cameras are old stock but their prices are like new prices.

The prices of second hand dlsr, regardless of condition, is absurd. these are digital rot but manufacturers and sellers refuse to treat these older dlsr as such.

new models just adds more useless features that 90% of the time photographers don't even use or know how to use. DSLR has become so complicated that it takes more and more time to change a setting and to scroll down endless menus.

Canon and Nikon should copy Leica's M9 ergonomics, but no, Canon and Nikon needs to add gimmicks in order to sell more cameras. Bogus!

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638815
In your recent thread with the ITEM u are selling, aint the item you are selling also consider ROT?:dunno:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638815
In your recent thread with the ITEM u are selling, aint the item you are selling also consider ROT?:dunno:

hahahah yeah yeah I agree... "like new never used"..... must have been ROTTING in the dry box :)

"NEVER USED" is a total lie anyway... I think it's almost impossible to buy something and NEVER USE it... especially if it's designed to be used (not like an artwork hanging on the wall)... Then why buy it in the first place?

Last edited:
hahahah yeah yeah I agree... "like new never used"..... must have been ROTTING in the dry box :)

"NEVER USED" is a total lie anyway... I think it's almost impossible to buy something and NEVER USE it... especially if it's designed to be used (not like an artwork hanging on the wall)... Then why buy it in the first place?

AGREE!!! he is just trying to create a fuss in CS
look at his other thread on 'Nikon don't even use their cameras for their brochures!'
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638874

Status
Not open for further replies.