How come other people can shoot at 1/750s while me only 1/30s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dRebelXT

May 14, 2005
I presume these pictures are shot among bushes.
http://www.naturephotosociety.org.sg/dcforum/DCForumID14/1741.html

I kept wondering why other people can achieve shutter speed of 1/750s at ISO200, f/6.3, while I can only make 1/30s at ISO800, f/8 (when convert to ISO200 f/6.3 my shutter speed maybe is only 1/10s)? Is there a third parameter that helps shoot pictures at a faster shutter speed? I was aware that when flash is on, my 350D only shoot slower than 1/200s.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

dRebelXT said:
I kept wondering why other people can achieve shutter speed of 1/750s at ISO200, f/6.3, while I can only make 1/30s at ISO800, f/8 (when convert to ISO200 f/6.3 my shutter speed maybe is only 1/10s)?

Possibly you are taking photos in the forest on a cloudy day, while others are taking photos in bright sunshine.

The lighting condition is different, how can you get the same exposure?

His is shooting at only one stop down of Sunny f16, which mean is open sky with light cloud.

You are shooting at about 7 stops down of Sunny f16, where are you shooting at?

Maybe it was because I shot in the midst of bushes and on a cloudy day.
I am wondering why in this picture, there is shadow on the tree branch below the bird, but no shadow on its tommy?
436d82d00a08cbc1.jpg

BTW, catchlight, what does Sunny f16 mean?

Hmm... Shooting at f/16 under extremely sunny conditions??

dRebelXT said:
Maybe it was because I shot in the midst of bushes and on a cloudy day.
I am wondering why in this picture, there is shadow on the tree branch below the bird, but no shadow on its tommy?
436d82d00a08cbc1.jpg

BTW, catchlight, what does Sunny f16 mean?

Damn the depth of field is super "creamy" that's the magic of a 500mm lens.

Anyway, it could still be a bright day but the shot of the bird was shot in some area away from direct sunlight but still bright enough to use f16. Soft shadow could be due to diffuse the lighting.

Actually you should ask the actual shooter to explain since you were at that forum the shooter was presenting his shots.

You are probably the same person I replied to in NPS which I cited that:

"The shot was captured in an open area (morning,)well lit by the sun. That was before the clouds came, followed by the rain.

For 1/30s @ f/8 at ISO800,the lighting then must be very low. It's like shooting under some secondary forest canopy or very late in the evening. If you are experiencing such readings in a well lit day, the metering on the camera may be faulty."

There is really no magic involved. The subject and background is as natural as nature provides. Usually, I don’t mention equipment used unless it is the requirement of the Forum (like NPS). One of the attractiveness of super-telephoto lenses (like 500mm and above) is the shallow depth of field. What it does is that when we focused on the subject, the background will be rendered out of focus. The further the background, the creamier the background will look.

Why no shadow? No flash was used as the sun was behind us lighting the subject (that was in front of us) nicely. Understanding the direction of the sun is an important aspect of nature photography.

Understanding the subject is important as well. As it is skittish, my friend (Sree) drove the car to stop at the position such that the sun is behind us. Then we waited and hoped for the bird to come closer…which it did. (If we go after the bird, it will flew further.)

Hope the above explanation helps. Thanks for the interest!

Happy shooting!;)

Thank you skfoo for your explanation. Yes the poster in NPS was me.
Thanks to LittleWolf, catchlights, jsbn and sammy888 also.
Enjoy your shootings! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.