How close can i shoot without macro lenses ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

poohbear

Aug 11, 2004
Sengkang
what's a good macro lens and how far can we focus without macro lens( i mean is there a formula somewhere ?) ..... anyone pls advise ... how to get a shallow DOF using normal zoom lens when u are shooting close up... too noob lah me ..... :confused:

poohbear said:
what's a good macro lens and how far can we focus without macro lens( i mean is there a formula somewhere ?) ..... anyone pls advise ... how to get a shallow DOF using normal zoom lens when u are shooting close up... too noob lah me ..... :confused:
zoom up to the longest setting of your zoom and move closer or farther till you can get good focus. That's the nearest your zoom will go for macro. Before getting a macro lens, i used my 300mm lens as my makeshift macro lens... much to the amusement of some photographers at the Botanical Garden... :embrass:

Cheapest and most convenient way: pick up a closeup filter and attach it to your zoom lens.

How close can a lens focus is a function of that particular's len's construction, and not something which you can calculate by a formula.

A good and affordable macro lens would be the Tamron 90mm f2.8. It has some good reviews though I've never used it.

When I'm are shooting really up close, shallow DOF is something which I do NOT want, given that DOF is already razor thin at macro distances. For macro, getting a clean background is more easily undertaken by using a long macro lens (180mm, 200mm) than shooting at f2.8 and getting only the antenna of the butterfly shut (if it's isn't totally parallel to your film plane).

Contrarian advice :-

Or you can just use some of the darn good prosumer cams to achieve 10-15cm working distances. :devil:

justarius said:
Cheapest and most convenient way: pick up a closeup filter and attach it to your zoom lens.
:thumbsup: - Witness

Nope. A reversal ring is the cheapest for those using the Nikon AF-D 50/1.8 lenses. Cost $28.

shagging-butts.jpg

how does this reverse ring work ?? attach onto the lens like a filter ??

Watcher said:
:thumbsup: - Witness

Nope. A reversal ring is the cheapest for those using the Nikon AF-D 50/1.8 lenses. Cost $28.

I stand corrected... :embrass:

how about extension tubes? may not be cheaper than the reversal ring, but they work to reduce the min focus distance. :)

wow man so many advise which one to listen .......... should i get a 50mm macro lens with f2 ? anyway got lens with so small f-number or not ? or the minimum is 2.8 ??

poohbear said:
wow man so many advise which one to listen .......... should i get a 50mm macro lens with f2 ? anyway got lens with so small f-number or not ? or the minimum is 2.8 ??
If you already have a SLR camera, the question would have been answered arleady :)

But i think you're only using a digital cam right? So the cheapest current alternative now is to get a Close up filter. Or get a really cheap manual 50mm lens to mount.. heh.. lotsa work arounds i guess.. :)

OzOn3 said:
If you already have a SLR camera, the question would have been answered arleady :)

But i think you're only using a digital cam right? So the cheapest current alternative now is to get a Close up filter. Or get a really cheap manual 50mm lens to mount.. heh.. lotsa work arounds i guess.. :)
hmm .. .how much will it cost me for a 67mm close up filter ?? Any suggestion where can i get it ?

poohbear said:
hmm .. .how much will it cost me for a 67mm close up filter ?? Any suggestion where can i get it ?

i just got mine for $30

poohbear said:
<OT>
The theoratical maximum aperture is f/0.5 but it is impossible to achieve that practically. The largest I heard was a f/0.75

Status
Not open for further replies.