How Can New Unused Flash Units Maintain Optimal Condition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pianodancer

Sep 15, 2003
Singapore
chester.sg
Flash users have been told not to leave the flash units unused for a long period of time, and that we should fire the flash once a while to keep it in optimal condition.

If that's the case, does that mean brand new flash units stored in the retail shops will deteoriate over time? Please don't argue that the brand new flash are "unused, unfired virgins", coz they must have done test firing in the factory.

Cheers!

Yes it is a good idea to fire of your strobes once in a while going through all the different power settings on them. The capacitors in the strobe deteriorate over time and use. And the flash tubes fail just like light bulbs, when ever they feel like, with or with out much use(if you know what I mean) :)

It has something to do with the capacitors drying up or leaking when stored for a long time. I do think strobes or rather the capacitors do have a shelve life before they need to be serviced.

Don't quote me on this but you can get some information from this site.

http://members.misty.com/don/samflash.html

+evenstar said:
retail shops know how many sets they can sell within a period of time, so they won't overstock...
What about 2nd hand shops like TCW where they have loads of old antique flash units stored in the shelves? I don't suppose they take them out once a month to test fire?

pianodancer said:
What about 2nd hand shops like TCW where they have loads of old antique flash units stored in the shelves? I don't suppose they take them out once a month to test fire?
People do try them out when they express intrest in them..so that counts?;p

A Pro once told me that he "use up" his flash in half a year. Then he go back to change the tube. Then he use it up again and then sell it.

Lots of Pros may not have many of the same lens but you can bet that they have LOADS of the same flash.

Lots of pros out there using up lots of flashes, they always buying new ones, stock sure to be fresh at the big photo stores.

Unless you are sure you are buying your secondhand flash from a non-pro, just buy new...

Use flashmeter to check flash's GN before you buy?

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.