how can I try for Sharpness

Status
Not open for further replies.

drmarx

Deregistered
Feb 11, 2009
Bukit Batok
Mine is Nikon D40x and lens is AF-S NIKKOR 18-135mm 1:3.5-5.6G ED
I can't get the sharpness of photos which I took. How can I try? Do I need to change Lens or because of D40x, I mean low model.
Thanks in advanced.

Post a photo that you took, together with the Exif data. There are many factors that contribute to blurriness in photos. More often than not, its the user's problem.

Sharpness means a lot of things to a lot of people. You'd have to do better than that to get any answers.

Wait, are you trying to say none of the photos you took are sharp?

Upload a reduced-size photo to the web and link here, or you could also email me one full size, untouched picture.

put you original full resolution photos with exif on line, and post a link here.
so we can analyze the real issue.

btw, How can Nikon produce a model of camera and lens not sharp at all, and sell it to consumers?

usually two main reasons on complianting photos not sharp,

#1 user problems.

#2 unrealistic expectation.

Mine is Nikon D40x and lens is AF-S NIKKOR 18-135mm 1:3.5-5.6G ED
I can't get the sharpness of photos which I took. How can I try? Do I need to change Lens or because of D40x, I mean low model.
Thanks in advanced.

Set it on a table (if you don't have a tripod) or use a tripod and stop down the aperture to f8 or so, (use A mode, not the P mode or green auto mode) Check to see if the shutter speed is fast enough, if not increase ISO until you have about 1/30 to 1/60.

Then aim at a stationary object and shoot one pic. See if it's sharp enough. Now, you have to learn that with every piece of equipment, there is a learning curve involved. With P or Auto mode, the camera tends to open up the aperture to the widest and give you a relatively good shutter speed. But as kit lens (or most lenses) go, the widest aperture may not be a sharp choice.

Keep trying and you'll see the light....

Wait, are you trying to say none of the photos you took are sharp?

Upload a reduced-size photo to the web and link here, or you could also email me one full size, untouched picture.

hey, can i hv your email address please... need some advise on some old pic... thks... or mine is george.chew@ymail.com

hope you can help... thks...

use a tripod or use a faster shutter speed + open up the aperture larger.

I think its because u handheld the camera that's why its a bit blur/ not sharp enough. IMHO try using a tripod or play with your camera's settings.

Here is a link for my 3 photos->

http://picasaweb.google.com/Drmarx/SingaporeNight#5321035701558678562

And one thing I am not confused is that everytime I compare with my friends Nikon D90 because his pictures are so sharp.

it is physically impossible to hand hold an exposure for 1.3 sec bro.

your friend's d90 could have given "sharp" pics probably cause he/she using the 18-105 mm lens which has VR, which could have helped in reducing the hand shake...

night shots should be used with a tripod, and wired control release for sharp results..if u wan to hand hold, yes increase iso which is wad u did (@1600) but obviously that's not enough

And one thing I am not confused is that everytime I compare with my friends Nikon D90 because his pictures are so sharp.
Judging from exif data, it is most likely due to handshake.

What you can do is, you should set your aperture wider (lower F-number)

If possible, use a tripod.

Are your friends taking the photos in the same conditions as you? Or are you comparing photos taken in different conditions.

My guess is your nightshots are taken without a tripod, unless you have super steady hands, its not realistic to expect them to be sharp.

Did you use tripod ?

If no - most likely shaking hands

If yes - did you use shutter release ?

if no - most likely you shaked the camera when you press the shutter release button.

If yest to both questions, how about viberation on the ground ?

But the pics looks like camera shake to me. Just my tots.

Oh, very obvious. The issue is not the camera, it's behind the camera. It doesn't matter what cam you're using, it will be very very very hard to get a sharp picture at 1.3s exposure!!

Many people buy a DSLR thinking that it will give them sharp pictures no matter what. This is not true. The photographer still needs to know what he's doing.

I suggest you read the newbies guide to photography posted here. Especially read the sections on exposure and shutter speed.

This is called hand-shake blur, amongst its other names.

This occurs when the shutter speed is set at too long a timing such that our hands are not stable enough throughout the entire exposure.

Hence, to solve the issue, you should either:
1. Place it on a tripod, thereby ensuring stability throughout the exposure
2. Seek to increase the shutter speed by increasing ISO, using a larger aperture or deliberately shooting 1/3-2/3 underexposed and PP to recove details later on, amongst other solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.