How can I test a camera without lens?

Agent_X

May 29, 2002
I am looking to buy a used DSLR but I current have no lens for it.
How do I test to make sure that the camera is a good set before I buy it?

I suggest you request for the seller to bring one to let you test it out. Also need to get memory card time try it out.

If desperate. Rent one

Wah your membership even more senior than Catchlights!!

Ok to answer your question, you cannot fully test the camera without lenses because you won't know if the camera focus the lens correctly, does it meter and expose correctly, etc.

Best is to buy a lens first but then how to test a lens without first having a camera body?

Got chicken first or got egg first?

Get a lens of verified good working conditions from a friend, or better bring both: lens and friend. If seller brings a lens you could run into issues where you cannot safely point to the root cause.

Best ask seller to provide you with a lens +/- memory card to test out.
Next best you bring a friend along with the necessary barang2 to check the body.

Agreed with shierwin.

The usual things that we check for the 2nd camera.

1. body any damage or ?
2. Build-in flash working
3. Any dusts or ? on camera sensor by shooting again a plain white surface and zoom in and review the pictures for any dust or ?

Good luck for your 2nd hand camera shopping. :)

Just to add, check that the memory card slot/battery slot isn't corroded too

This also must tell you what to do
Funny leh

This also must tell you what to do
Funny leh

Probably TS just wanna know if it's possible to test the camera w/o a lens. If it's not possible, he may knows what to do next. Right now, just need one hero to stand out and say "Not possible". :)

;p sounds like a trick question. I think its not possible to test properly without a lens.

Its as good as having the body and lens but no battery!

For me, if I don't, I will request the seller to bring his.

so....without a lens..you buy the dslr for ****?

a camera is not one without the lens.. so you can't test a camera without lens.

even in insurance policies they deem a camera = body + lens for interchangeable lens systems.

oh well, what I know is usually if you let the seller know you don't have a lens, they will borrow you one.

Ha ha can anywhere you can test with the body cap and capture on blackground and check with wether the LCD have died pixels or not :)

If seller "forget" just walk away :)

Well, for me probably yes, I have already made known that I don't have a lens, so if the seller committed but forgot to bring his. I can't really test it, will call off.

so....without a lens..you buy the dslr for ****?

I do know of some who buy the camera 1st, store at home, and slowly as they bump on some good deal, will buy lenses later.

HighTone said:
I do know of some who buy the camera 1st, store at home, and slowly as they bump on some good deal, will buy lenses later.

well i did it as what you have mentioned.

1. buy a second nikon camera with a friend came to help to check. and i bought a lens 3 week later.

2. another occasion. i bought the m43 lens when waitin for m43 body from an oversea purchase