How can I replicate this shot with simple equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petetherock

Oct 9, 2006
Friends
I stumbled onto this shot, and it was superb. Not your usual XMM shot and the simple B/W highlights nature was great.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewbelcher/3875904925/in/pool-flash-photography

spaceball.gif

spaceball.gif

spaceball.gif

It was taken with:
strobist info: ETTL 4-1 A:B ratio triggered with disabled master 580EX II; A is key 24" square Ezybox, camera right, 580EX II about 45 degrees; B is fill, camera left, 43" shoot through white umbrella, about 90 degrees from center.

Now comes the issue, can someone advise on whether I can do without the serious studio equipment and still capture this?

I am not keen on simply using photoshop, which I seldom use to manufacture this shot.

Any ideas?

I have my DSLR, a SB 900, plus some older model TTL flashes for older film based Nikons and I can buy some background material if needed.

Thanks

Pete

Last edited:
if you have a white bedsheet at home, you prob could drap it over a east/west facing window with hard sunlight hitting it to get your white background.. then its a matter of blowing the background and lighting your subject..

A little photoshop is required imo.

Flash from left and right. (and front for fill) angle the right flight abit more. Clone out the entire background since it's OOF anyway. then with levels blow all out all the lighter areas.

All the effects is up to you to achieve.
If u don't want photoshop, then put 2 flash to fire at a white background to blow them out. Overexpose slightly to get the glow effect.

Just my 2 cents.

1) make person wear white, sit with white background

2) simple matter of using strong directional light and fill in a bit from the other side to achieve this

btw, i don't like the photo, it looks like a floating head, and it is the 7th month...

Friends
I stumbled onto this shot, and it was superb. Not your usual XMM shot and the simple B/W highlights nature was great.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewbelcher/3875904925/in/pool-flash-photography

spaceball.gif

spaceball.gif

spaceball.gif

It was taken with:

Now comes the issue, can someone advise on whether I can do without the serious studio equipment and still capture this?

I am not keen on simply using photoshop, which I seldom use to manufacture this shot.

Any ideas?

I have my DSLR, a SB 900, plus some older model TTL flashes for older film based Nikons and I can buy some background material if needed.

Thanks

Pete
it is just simply overexposed of the background but keep your subject in correct exposure, just rememer that you need to have good lens, else your image will flare badly.

you can even shoot it without using flash if you understand the principle, just shoot your subject in a back lighting situation and use a large reflector bounce the light back to your subject face.

Thank you everyone for the suggestion, I guess all that remains is to try all the techniques - love the bedsheet idea!
I will try and get a subject next week.
If there are more ideas, please share them.
I love portraits and the shot stuck in my mind for the longest time.

Cheers

If you're into this, a good start would be to get a reflector, you'll be amazed by what it can do and it's fairly inexpensive. Try the ones that is like 2-in-1 sort with both silver and white reflective surfaces.

Thanks, what is the damage for a simple reflector like?
Any issues getting 2nd hand?
I have used some foil before in my younger days.
If you're into this, a good start would be to get a reflector, you'll be amazed by what it can do and it's fairly inexpensive. Try the ones that is like 2-in-1 sort with both silver and white reflective surfaces.

get in BUY/SELL they pop up in there for sale quite often at affordable prices

also, google or search 'high key' to understand how images like these are executed

1) make person wear white, sit with white background

2) simple matter of using strong directional light and fill in a bit from the other side to achieve this

btw, i don't like the photo, it looks like a floating head, and it is the 7th month...

i think black shirt and black background will be worst.

can see nothing but the chest and head. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Thanks, what is the damage for a simple reflector like?
Any issues getting 2nd hand?
I have used some foil before in my younger days.

You can go buy from Orient Photo or from online like Tagotech or Perly.
Think a 80cm 5-in-1 reflector is going for about $60.

actually, nothing really technical...

meter the face over expose the background, then if background still got slight remains, just DI off. Can see from the image there is some lasso mark also.

without PS, raw from camera, I don't know.

With PS, I think it is relatively easy, assuming the original image light angle, ratio ,etc is relatively ok.

"Now comes the issue, can someone advise on whether I can do without the serious studio equipment and still capture this?

Any ideas?"

Pete:

That is my photo.

You do not need any fancy camera or lighting equipment to create this photo.

You just need to overexpose the background and the subject a bit.

I then converted the orginal to greyscale, adjusted the contrast, exposure and brightness until I liked the result.

FWIW I was going for the floating head look with a frame but you can leave as much of the "body" as you want to create the look you desire.

Here is the un-retouched photo:
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n144/mjbelcher/ClubSnapcontrib.jpg

If the link does not work let me know and I will upload it to Flickr

Cheers,

MJB
Chicago

Hey MJB

Thanks and welcome to Clubsnap in Singapore!

Your shot is very good and there are many more there which inspires me to try this.

I will grab hold of a friend and this this soon.

As for the reflector, in my younger days I made some myself whilse I was doing weddding shoots, but now, I am glad I can go buy one...

I might around for something I can fold into my small NG bag.

Cheers!
"Now comes the issue, can someone advise on whether I can do without the serious studio equipment and still capture this?

Any ideas?"

Pete:

That is my photo.

You do not need any fancy camera or lighting equipment to create this photo.

You just need to overexpose the background and the subject a bit.

I then converted the orginal to greyscale, adjusted the contrast, exposure and brightness until I liked the result.

FWIW I was going for the floating head look with a frame but you can leave as much of the "body" as you want to create the look you desire.

Here is the un-retouched photo:
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n144/mjbelcher/ClubSnapcontrib.jpg

If the link does not work let me know and I will upload it to Flickr

Cheers,

MJB
Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.