How can i have a blur background.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyingpig

Aug 12, 2004
Singapore
Hi Everyone,

Is it true that if i wanted to focus an object with blurred background, i only need to do adjustment on Aperture? What if i want to have a blurred background on a moving object, example a car moving with blurred background? What should i do?

Thanks! :)

Set the Aperature to as large as u can go (smallest F-number)
To maximise the 'bokeh' background blur... you can try the following
1. Move close to the subject
2. Frame against a background that is furthest from the subject..

Motion blur is something different...
While the first method uses aperture to control blur, motion blur is dependant on shutter speed.

The speed to use is dependant on the subject you're shooting.
ie. Moving car at about 60km/h is about 1/80s
Bicycle (leisurely cycling) is about 1/20s

Your mileage will vary.. if it's still too blur, then increase your shutter speed...

willyfoo said:

While the first method uses aperture to control blur, motion blur is dependant on shutter speed.

Your mileage will vary.. if it's still too blur, then increase your shutter speed...

For the motion blur, it is not necessary to change the aperture?

willyfoo said:

It would help if you do panning i.e. follow the moving subject

Thanks jbma... forgot to mention that the shutter speed is assuming you are panning (following the vehicle through).

Aperture isn't that critical in the blurring effect of panning... you can leave it on shutter priority and let the camera figure out what aperture to use.

To get a blur or out of focus background, use as wide as possible an aperture and a long lens.

If you chose a very short focal length eg 15 mm, it is almost impossible to have a blur background.

About a moving car (in focus) with a blurred background. I must admit I have no experience here. Nonetheless, I think the technique is called "panning". Look up books on this technique. I hope I have not given you wrong suggestion.

willyfoo said:
Thanks jbma... forgot to mention that the shutter speed is assuming you are panning (following the vehicle through).

Aperture isn't that critical in the blurring effect of panning... you can leave it on shutter priority and let the camera figure out what aperture to use.

No problem. Jyst thought that something is missing here.

Flyingpig said:
Hi Everyone,

Is it true that if i wanted to focus an object with blurred background, i only need to do adjustment on Aperture? What if i want to have a blurred background on a moving object, example a car moving with blurred background? What should i do?

Thanks! :)

I find this website quite useful and informative.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/

can see my try on panning here
1st try and only got a few good 1 out of many....

kohweekuan said:
can see my try on panning here
1st try and only got a few good 1 out of many....

hey..may i know what is your settings.. i still don't understand what do you mean by planning..

for panning what i do is, focus lock on the subject (assuming u adjusted yr shutter speeds liao) then keep it in yr viewfinder until u want to snap. as in, track the subject with yr cam already focused on the subject then take the picture

Status
Not open for further replies.