How bad is the recession hurting you or your friends?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
sick and tired of semi-con industry already, can't wait to get out...
1st day of work yesterday then got sabo by someone in the company...stupid suggestion asked me to take out hard disk to swap...now the whole damn server is down liao.

perhaps the next mon will kena big scolding from the dept IT manager already...sh*t ! :angry:

1st day of work yesterday then got sabo by someone in the company...stupid suggestion asked me to take out hard disk to swap...now the whole damn server is down liao.

perhaps the next mon will kena big scolding from the dept IT manager already...sh*t ! :angry:

Presume you use RAID how come server crash when you swap harddisk?

Most friends are mainly in advertising/civil service, they're still going strong, but there is definitely a dip in client activity w.r.t to account servicing. Some in the CS are thinking of heading to graduate school.

A few who just entered the workforce in middle office banking, are sweating like hogs at the moment.

Last edited:

heh.. bro.. 1 day only and you sick and tired of the industry already?

theres a channel 8 drama coming up on Engineers... i think semicond engineers are featured.. perhaps you would be inspired to continue in the industry after watching the show... :)

I was thinking that this current recession will affect a lot of industries.

You have to also know if it really is effected or made-up that way for one reason or another. Since this isome how related and well the thread about the lion dance is closed.../

I just got wind from my friend who owns a lion dance troupe in Singapore. It seem it is controlled. Controlled as in how many troupes are allowed to exist. There are about 200 I think if I recall what my friend told me and he is a holder of one of those licence. The Police issues out those. It seem for this CNY, whether it was by ballot or some means of selection, the only let 72-75+ troupes to have permit to do this CNY. You wonder if times are bad and this people use this season to make some money as most are part times..so why restrict it? No wonder some of us hardly heard any lion dance in their neighbourhood...and this is what he told me again that surprised me...just a week earlier, they were all told that if they bang their drums or cymbals while in the lorry driving along the road, they will be fined $250.00 thus... you heard less of them on the road....thus I guess someone started the thread about not hearing much lion dance and the drumming around their neighbourhood which lead to some thinking the recession was bad it effected the mood of the season. I am wondering .... and this is just a stretch..why would you do that? Limit the number of troupes to go around. It seem some people complain about it but then I am wonder who are this "they".

Personally some banging and clanking of the cymbals during this time might just be the uplifting thing to get everyone's mood up and also let them make some money unless there is a reason behind it? It's a stretch but are we seeing more sign of people trying to make the recession situation appear worst then it is to achieve an agenda? Maybe I am looking too deep into it to see the sky heheh but...the fact is...why reduce the one chance for some of these folks to make some money by limiting the number of lion dance troupes allowed during this period when times are bad? And why the last minute restriction on them not allowed to do what they traditionally do on their lorry which is to wake up the festivities. It's just once a year. so I am wondering...what else we are seeing that could be considered made up or made use to gain something at the expense of those wanting to make a living by inducing further fear mongering and profiteering. Maybe I am paranoid hehe..

Just look at the recent news about how an investigation into Merrill Lynch is underway as 18 billions dollars were spent on giving out bonuses to top executives at ML when it was suppose to be swamped with financial collaspe and about to be recused and bought up by Bank of America with money given by US govt as a rescue package.

These are scary times where we really can't be sure who really have the REAL STORY of the day. As those in the know can tell you ...who controls the media is King. Problem while the rich and powerful are pushing all the right buttons of the medias... we the littles guys are at their mercy.

Some one saying that the advertising industry is holding it's own. I hope so as I am looking for a job in that sector or related. Good lucky people...we gonna need it.

Last edited:
Presume you use RAID how come server crash when you swap harddisk?

no, this dell system is special one, need a minimum of 5 hard disk in the cpu to stay operational.
when i switch slots, i am effectively removing 2 slots leaving 4 slots behind and the network drive went undetected already.
best of all it runs on the Linus OS and i have no idea how to use...totally self-prawned myself...gg liao.

this coming mon, going to take urgent leave for 2 days to avoid the scolding from my IT manager...

Last edited:
heh.. bro.. 1 day only and you sick and tired of the industry already?

theres a channel 8 drama coming up on Engineers... i think semicond engineers are featured.. perhaps you would be inspired to continue in the industry after watching the show... :)

no thanks, this will be the last engineering job for me even though is only a temp job...intending to further on finance instead.
in my circle of friends from micro-e dip, i'm the only one working in semi-con industry...3 more weeks to ord, can't wait to leave.

Last edited:
Hmm so lucky no effect? Have you gotten the same pay increment and bonus as you got last year?

The recession hasn't affected me at all.
I still have my job. All my sources of income and loan repayments have remained the same.
I have a lot of shares which are now valued at around 1/3 their price, but I haven't sold them yet, so no real loss as yet.
Things are said to get worse later in the year, so we'll never know just yet.

You have to also know if it really is effected or made-up that way for one reason or another. Since this isome how related and well the thread about the lion dance is closed.../

I just got wind from my friend who owns a lion dance troupe in Singapore. It seem it is controlled. Controlled as in how many troupes are allowed to exist. There are about 200 I think if I recall what my friend told me and he is a holder of one of those licence. The Police issues out those. It seem for this CNY, whether it was by ballot or some means of selection, the only let 72-75+ troupes to have permit to do this CNY. You wonder if times are bad and this people use this season to make some money as most are part times..so why restrict it? No wonder some of us hardly heard any lion dance in their neighbourhood...and this is what he told me again that surprised me...just a week earlier, they were all told that if they bang their drums or cymbals while in the lorry driving along the road, they will be fined $250.00 thus... you heard less of them on the road....thus I guess someone started the thread about not hearing much lion dance and the drumming around their neighbourhood which lead to some thinking the recession was bad it effected the mood of the season. I am wondering .... and this is just a stretch..why would you do that? Limit the number of troupes to go around. It seem some people complain about it but then I am wonder who are this "they".

Personally some banging and clanking of the cymbals during this time might just be the uplifting thing to get everyone's mood up and also let them make some money unless there is a reason behind it? It's a stretch but are we seeing more sign of people trying to make the recession situation appear worst then it is to achieve an agenda? Maybe I am looking too deep into it to see the sky heheh but...the fact is...why reduce the one chance for some of these folks to make some money by limiting the number of lion dance troupes allowed during this period when times are bad? And why the last minute restriction on them not allowed to do what they traditionally do on their lorry which is to wake up the festivities. It's just once a year. so I am wondering...what else we are seeing that could be considered made up or made use to gain something at the expense of those wanting to make a living by inducing further fear mongering and profiteering. Maybe I am paranoid hehe..

Just look at the recent news about how an investigation into Merrill Lynch is underway as 18 billions dollars were spent on giving out bonuses to top executives at ML when it was suppose to be swamped with financial collaspe and about to be recused and bought up by Bank of America with money given by US govt as a rescue package.

These are scary times where we really can't be sure who really have the REAL STORY of the day. As those in the know can tell you ...who controls the media is King. Problem while the rich and powerful are pushing all the right buttons of the medias... we the littles guys are at their mercy.

Some one saying that the advertising industry is holding it's own. I hope so as I am looking for a job in that sector or related. Good lucky people...we gonna need it.

Your conspiracy theory would be interesting but the fact is that many media outlets in usa are feeling the pinch and cutting jobs and some are close to bankruptcy because they cannot refinance loans etc. Companies will cut back ad expense and this will definately affect media as well. The real good industry now is the debt collection industry. I doubt there is a conspiracy la , don't think too complicated , think simple.

no, this dell system is special one, need a minimum of 5 hard disk in the cpu to stay operational.
when i switch slots, i am effectively removing 2 slots leaving 4 slots behind and the network drive went undetected already.
best of all it runs on the Linus OS and i have no idea how to use...totally self-prawned myself...gg liao.

this coming mon, going to take urgent leave for 2 days to avoid the scolding from my IT manager...
wow cool, i'm glad you have such a responsible attitude towards your actions. i'm sure you will go far in your career.

care to tell me your full name? i'll make sure i forward it to my friends in HR.

wow cool, i'm glad you have such a responsible attitude towards your actions. i'm sure you will go far in your career.

care to tell me your full name? i'll make sure i forward it to my friends in HR.

thanks what a nice way to rub it in :nono:

anyway after seeking advise from ppl in my dept, they advised me to eat the bullet rather than let the manager push all the blame to me if i'm not around.
await hell this mon.

oh ya, and i didn't depend on other ppl to get my current canon job, thanks for your "nice" offer then.

Last edited:
imo , being employed is generally safer , its these self employed entrepreneurs who are also getting burnt now , some will survive but most will not , look at the diamond industries owner for example. Unless you got a recession proof business plan, its better to get a job instead , whatever that is. If really nowhere to go , join the home team , they are recruiting heavily now.

yup but being self employed has great benefits both in sense of achievement and monetary gains (the amount you can earn from one project after having won a tender versus being a salaried staff is really stunningly different)

recessions come and go, certain industries will make more money from a recession like macdonalds, certain costs will go down too.

once you go into a salaried job it's very hard to break out of the low-risk salaried mentality.

yup but being self employed has great benefits both in sense of achievement and monetary gains (the amount you can earn from one project after having won a tender versus being a salaried staff is really stunningly different)

recessions come and go, certain industries will make more money from a recession like macdonalds, certain costs will go down too.

once you go into a salaried job it's very hard to break out of the low-risk salaried mentality.

Agreed, but sh*t happens and if you are in the industry that is affected , etc SARS, bird flu , earthquake , wars etc. You go into bankruptcy , you lose whatever you built up over the years. Is it really worth it , do you really need so much money. If you have huge appetite for risk , sure, you may be good now but when it's bad it can be really bad. There are fewer success stories than there are failures. Self employed you can also work your way up , prove yourself and earn decently.

Invest on your own to build up your passive income stream if you want to earn extra. Spend the time instead on your family , your interests which is more important than stressing over your enterprise. Because by the time you succeed , you have missed the important period of your life.

Couldn't really help not commenting on this one. Several points here:

• There are no mandatory retrenched benefits other than those stated in your employment letter particularly if you are not covered by the Employment Act, which is likely not those in executive positions - especially those in photography ( haha). One month benefit for each year of service is a norm thus it depends on the policy and hence generousity of the company. There have been many who received nothing or just half a month. Past retrenchment exercises is probably the best guide individually.
  • When coming to decide who gets the sack, there are many things to consider. It is too simplistic to think the poor performers are first in line. The one who has to play "god" will need a balanced structure after the cuts. Strange decisionsn have been known to happen.
  • I suspect when all this is done, only the government and related entities, grouped as an industry, will be the fortunate ones. This recession is the perfect storm if ever there is one.
  • Whether one should strike out on his own. I always compared the pros and cons of this enduring question to that of playing poker. Whether you win or lose depends on the cards you are dealt with, the resources you can afford to throw down on the table, the type of poker player you are and finally the other players at the table with you and the degree they can influence your moves. This is the poker game of life.
  • To those who have lost their jobs this round, you will get to find out more of yourself in the coming months as you search deep within yourself. I know your pain, particularly if you have a family to support.
  • To those who still have a job, your anxiety is real. But I doubt there is much you can realistically do about the situation, except pray.

Agreed, but sh*t happens and if you are in the industry that is affected , etc SARS, bird flu , earthquake , wars etc. You go into bankruptcy , you lose whatever you built up over the years. Is it really worth it , do you really need so much money. If you have huge appetite for risk , sure, you may be good now but when it's bad it can be really bad. There are fewer success stories than there are failures. Self employed you can also work your way up , prove yourself and earn decently.

Invest on your own to build up your passive income stream if you want to earn extra. Spend the time instead on your family , your interests which is more important than stressing over your enterprise. Because by the time you succeed , you have missed the important period of your life.

It's one of those things that you'll only understand if you've experienced it. =)

It's not just about the money. Many people who strike out on their own do so for a variety of reasons other than making big money. It is a satisfaction of having more control of your own destiny. Your failures are your own too. And the good part about making more money in your own business is that you have enough money to buffer you through the bad times and in the worst case, close down and look for another job.
Most businesses have an exit strategy.

self employment can be a highly fulfilling career path. It's not for everyone.

in an ironic way, now peps have the "quality time" they never had when busy working... :rolleyes:

in an ironic way, now peps have the "quality time" they never had when busy working... :rolleyes:

....and don't know what to do with it. Thus a lt are lost and stay lost till they find a new job and then they don't feel lost anymore and now have no more free time to "find themselves" that is the typical Singaporean.

....and don't know what to do with it. Thus a lt are lost and stay lost till they find a new job and then they don't feel lost anymore and now have no more free time to "find themselves" that is the typical Singaporean.

People feel "lost" when they suddenly lose their jobs because they defined their self worth and lives around their jobs. When it is taken away it takes some getting used to. All manner of nationalities fall victim to this illusion.

Couldn't really help not commenting on this one. Several points here:

• There are no mandatory retrenched benefits other than those stated in your employment letter particularly if you are not covered by the Employment Act, which is likely not those in executive positions - especially those in photography ( haha). One month benefit for each year of service is a norm thus it depends on the policy and hence generousity of the company. There have been many who received nothing or just half a month. Past retrenchment exercises is probably the best guide individually.
  • When coming to decide who gets the sack, there are many things to consider. It is too simplistic to think the poor performers are first in line. The one who has to play "god" will need a balanced structure after the cuts. Strange decisionsn have been known to happen.
  • I suspect when all this is done, only the government and related entities, grouped as an industry, will be the fortunate ones. This recession is the perfect storm if ever there is one.
  • Whether one should strike out on his own. I always compared the pros and cons of this enduring question to that of playing poker. Whether you win or lose depends on the cards you are dealt with, the resources you can afford to throw down on the table, the type of poker player you are and finally the other players at the table with you and the degree they can influence your moves. This is the poker game of life.
  • To those who have lost their jobs this round, you will get to find out more of yourself in the coming months as you search deep within yourself. I know your pain, particularly if you have a family to support.
  • To those who still have a job, your anxiety is real. But I doubt there is much you can realistically do about the situation, except pray.

Thanks for highlighting your points, Daoyin.

Status
Not open for further replies.