How bad is considered as bad vignetting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elginwx

Dec 13, 2005
I just gotten a new toy, sigma 18-50mm at f/2.8. Been serving me very well indoor and outdoor with pretty colours.

I then begun to notice what is called "Vignetting" on pictures taken at 18mm, f/2.8 right up to f/4. A friend of mine cheekily passed a comment that it might be a bad copy. Being a noob, I hope to learn from you guys.

So how bad is considered as 'bad'? I mean, it can an artistic effect but bad on landscape pictures...

Here are 2 recent pictures with obvious vignetting effect.

vig_2.JPG
vig.JPG

dun think urs is a bad copy. the vignetting isn't that obvious from ur pics anyway.
at 18mm, bound to have a little vignetting somewhat, esp indoors.
vignetting isn't bad, in landscape esp the pano landscape, it draws out the attendtion to the center of the object, which can be really nice.

how many filters are u using?

and vigenetting isn't always that bad, at wide angles, it's very common too.. just need to work around it...

I am using this lens. Yes you get vignetting in 18mm. Is common in most lens If I dun want any vignetting I will zoom in at around 25mm and step back.

Vignetting or light falloff?

Vignetting or light falloff?

Vignetting is light falloff.

Anyway, the vignetting isn't that bad, which has already been mentioned. Some digital processing should take care of it.

Anyway, the vignetting isn't that bad, which has already been mentioned. Some digital processing should take care of it.

in fact, if i'm not wrong, light fall-off is the correct term for it, rather than vignetting.

CS2 lens correction will be your weapon of choice if you hate it so much. Heh.

For me? I use it to deliberately add vignetting :bsmilie:

I see, if this vignetting ain't that bad afterall, I'm actually beginning to like it because of the way it draws attention on the center object!

[blurrblurr] In fact, it's a good idea to zoom in at 25mm and then step back. I feel that i'm really learning, at least theoretically, from this forum.

However, how is it so that other lens don't cause the same vignetting at 18mm? Is it unique to just this lens? I do think this lens is fairly decent given its standards.

hehe. some ppl simply love light falloff which helps to frame their subjects. I agree to a certain extent too that it can be visually enhancing.

A lot of people assume they are but the 2 terms are not the same.
Vignetting is a reduction in light falling on the sensor/film plane far from the center of the image that is caused by physical obstructions (eg. filters). Light falloff is a reduction of light far from the center because of fundamental optical reasons.

thanks guys, u all hv been great!

Now i'm convinced that this lens is fine and vignetting when used carefully can yield positive and desirable effects. ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.