How abt a thread that shows ugly singaporeans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMac08

Sep 4, 2008
Tiong Bahru,Singapore
www.flickr.com
Recently i went to Japan for a trip. And i have been very shocked by their sense of national pride and their level of excellence. The country is not without litters but if you observe the crowds they are mostly very orderly.

It put me to think that in Singapore we have been taught to think we are good or no 1 but are we really?

When i came back,i see crowds squeezing into train before the ppl can actually come out,neighbours hanging out dripping wet laundry,noisy handphone rings and ppl talking out loudly.

I saw in japan train station they have no lines to tell the ppl to queue here so that alighting passengers can get off but ppl just go into orderly manner on their own. They can eat on their train while we can't. Someone ask me why do we need those yellow lines at our MRT.

I hate to say this but i replied. It is a symbol or a sign to show the failure of our moral education,of our society standards and it is a reflection that singaporean just can't be considerate. Mostly suffered from colourblindness and are illiterate despite the years of education they may have. No one can read signs...no can can read what's written on the board...no one knows what is basic courtesy.

I know there are some good ones around still...but really...is the majority good or bad? i prefer to think most are bad.

With this i thought we shld start a thread to show ugly singaporeans action. to put these ppl to shame.

to me, it will be like a thread like stomping others, does we need to do so?

if you only look at the ugly side of a person, you will not find anything good on him/her.

try to look at the good side of a person, if you want to make your life merrier, and a better society.

I had also been pointing to some ugly sides of locals here on Clubsnap or to my (Singaporean) friends (also telling them I don't think it is general, but many people do act ungraciously), only to be rebut of being anti-Singaporean by some, some also agree actually.

They don't understand that bringing up these points is trying to improve people behaviour, but some just feel their pride hurt or don't want to look at their own shortcomings.......also I compared local behaviour to other countries (HK and Europe) and someone in Clubsnap long ago replied not to compare with other countries.

But he doesn't understand that we have to compare to other countries (and HK is a very good example for some concepts) and look honestly at ourselves in order to improve, otherwise how can we learn how to behave better.......?

We need to take the good things of other countries and leaving behind their bad things. Usually Asians (especially the more conservative ones) won't want to take western concepts, but they fail to see wider, and see the good things from there. They only see the bad things from the west......

Actually, before I came to Singapore in the early 90's, I thought the youngsters here would respect the elder people, but I was disappointed that older people here were treated not so nicely! Hardly anyone stands up for them in trains/buses.....in fact I have seen foreign workers standing up for them!

People queueing up for trains happens in Japan, Taipei, HK, why can't people do it here? Or stepping towards the inside of the train instead of blocking the exits/entrances?

Or if anything bad happens, many blame it to the foreign workers instead, or they move away from them in trains and buses. Some of these people may smell not good, but do locals understand that they don't have the money to buy perfume (they send most of their earnings back to their family or pay off the bond), or they just came back from their backbreaking work in the hot sun to built your office or shopping center, off course they are sweaty! Please give them a break!

HS

Last edited:
the yellow line thing, the next time u board the train, and if ppl squeese through the center, u know wat u should do?

you should open ur eyes bigger and see if they are the china and other FT ppl. look carefully. they might look like singaporeans, but open ur eyes bigger and observe carefully..

90% of the times, i realise those that squeeze through the centre are not local singaporeans, they are the china n FT ppl.

especially those china ppl, they look so much alike like singaporeans, and i dunno how to tell them apart from singaporeans. so how do i know its not singaporeans that is ungracious? after many pek chek times of being squeezed in the centre, i followed behind those ppl who squeeze thru to check out the person. Once the person open the mouth, from the smell of the breadth, the words they say, and their ugly behavior, i immediately knew they are not local singaporeans. and i was wrong to condemn singaporeans as being ungracious... dam it its these FT that are polluting our green singapore! :thumbsd:

my advise: next time, those tat squeese in the center, follow behind them, go and do a proper check on them to determine IF they are singaporeans. trust me 90% of times u will be surprised

yup. singaporean are more refine lot.. singaporean also love their own country and won't do any damage to it! pay more attention to FT instead.

the yellow line thing, the next time u board the train, and if ppl squeese through the center, u know wat u should do?

you should open ur eyes bigger and see if they are the china and other FT ppl. look carefully. they might look like singaporeans, but open ur eyes bigger and observe carefully..

90% of the times, i realise those that squeeze through the centre are not local singaporeans, they are the china n FT ppl.

especially those china ppl, they look so much alike like singaporeans, and i dunno how to tell them apart from singaporeans. so how do i know its not singaporeans that is ungracious? after many pek chek times of being squeezed in the centre, i followed behind those ppl who squeeze thru to check out the person. Once the person open the mouth, from the smell of the breadth, the words they say, and their ugly behavior, i immediately knew they are not local singaporeans. and i was wrong to condemn singaporeans as being ungracious... dam it its these FT that are polluting our green singapore! :thumbsd:

my advise: next time, those tat squeese in the center, follow behind them, go and do a proper check on them to determine IF they are singaporeans. trust me 90% of times u will be surprised
This is what I mean.........only pointing to others. Yes, there are bad Chinese from china, but you fail to understand that in China they need to fight for their rights, place. Yes, it is sad they bring this behaviour here, but they have just arrive lah! I think your forefather from China (if you are chinese) would behave exactly the same way.......

But you fail to look at some of your own Singaporean comrades, just open your eyes too. There are good and bad people everywhere, just try to understand where they come from. You just fail to see there are good foreigners too, but offcourse you won't want to see that........if you are shortminded, then sorry that's your problem

yup. singaporean are more refine lot.. singaporean also love their own country and won't do any damage to it! pay more attention to FT instead.
Have you thought who built your house? Who built your office? No doubt, there are good and bad people, but you only the good Singaporeans, and the bad foreigners only......thats being half blind,

This is what I mean.........only pointing to others. Yes, there are bad Chinese from china, but you fail to understand that in China they need to fight for their rights, place. Yes, it is sad they bring this behaviour here, but they have just arrive lah! I think your forefather from China (if you are chinese) would behave exactly the same way.......

But you fail to look at some of your own Singaporean comrades, just open your eyes too. There are good and bad people everywhere, just try to understand where they come from. You just fail to see there are good foreigners too, but offcourse you won't want to see that........if you are shortminded, then sorry that's your problem

i actually think, as Sg becomes more competitive, our behavior would "regress" back to such in order to scrape whatever competitiveness we have ahead of the next fella.

Mabbe it's only me, but I fail to see Graciousness proportional to Competitiveness.... rather, in most case I see it as inversely related. :think:

i actually think, as Sg becomes more competitive, our behavior would "regress" back to such in order to scrape whatever competitiveness we have ahead of the next fella.

Mabbe it's only me, but I fail to see Graciousness proportional to Competitiveness.... rather, in most case I see it as inversely related. :think:
Wrong! Just go to HK, you know the density of people on the streets is so much higher than here! So? Higher competetiveness on the street level, but people there are more gracious now than here (I lived there 2 years almost).... (HK was perhaps not so gracious 15 years ago).

They walk mostly on the left, and walk away from you if you come, they queue on trains/buses.

Singapore was already like this BEFORE the big gulf of foreigners came in 3-4 years ago, or else why did the government started the Gracious Campaign so many years ago? I think no matter what, Singaporeans ALWAYS think they have to compete, or they are in a competition and they have to win! :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Could this be a US thing? Or perhaps because the government has ingrained into the people that they always have to stay ahead?

HS

Ugly Singaporeans are everywhere you look!
But there's many who are not ugly too ;)

Recently i went to Japan for a trip. And i have been very shocked by their sense of national pride and their level of excellence. The country is not without litters but if you observe the crowds they are mostly very orderly.

It put me to think that in Singapore we have been taught to think we are good or no 1 but are we really?

When i came back,i see crowds squeezing into train before the ppl can actually come out,neighbours hanging out dripping wet laundry,noisy handphone rings and ppl talking out loudly.

I saw in japan train station they have no lines to tell the ppl to queue here so that alighting passengers can get off but ppl just go into orderly manner on their own. They can eat on their train while we can't. Someone ask me why do we need those yellow lines at our MRT.

I hate to say this but i replied. It is a symbol or a sign to show the failure of our moral education,of our society standards and it is a reflection that singaporean just can't be considerate. Mostly suffered from colourblindness and are illiterate despite the years of education they may have. No one can read signs...no can can read what's written on the board...no one knows what is basic courtesy.

I know there are some good ones around still...but really...is the majority good or bad? i prefer to think most are bad.

With this i thought we shld start a thread to show ugly singaporeans action. to put these ppl to shame.

sorry to say this... your intention is probably 1 of the ugly acts. So i hope you show your picture 1st, then we talk about the rest in details.

sorry to say this... your intention is probably 1 of the ugly acts. So i hope you show your picture 1st, then we talk about the rest in details.

Can teach how to take such pictures because I don't want to wind up in the hospital with a broken leg?

I think I have to buy a mirror attachment to pretend to point the camera the other way. :)

images

Last edited:
top on my list of ugly singaporean acts ..
-the act of stomping, "vilifying" and putting fellow singaporeans to shame.. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

wow wow wow!!

you counted!!!

good for you! glad to know that you care so much! :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

top on my list of ugly singaporean acts ..
-the act of stomping, "vilifying" and putting fellow singaporeans to shame.. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

how about xenophobic behaviour, like has been displayed here already :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.