How about Thaipusam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I don't remember wrongly it should be 11 Feb every year.
I'm not Hindu btw. :bsmilie:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

obewan said:
If I don't remember wrongly it should be 11 Feb every year.
I'm not Hindu btw. :bsmilie:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yap, it is on the 11th of Feb this year. Not sure if this date is fixed, thought that it should follow the Hindu calendar like Deepavali. Hopefully some Hindu friends here can share with us the information and correct us. Thank you and Cheerz.

Anyway, found this website that shows Thaipusam is on the 11th Feb.

to increase awareness of thaipusam for our school students, the temple (in serangoon) will be conducting tours on Feb 11, i think its every hour starting from 10am. Think it's in TNP afew days back

A quick check with my Indian friends.

The procession walking will start around 11 Feb (2am) and those big colourful kavadis will start rolling out at about 10am.

Hope this help, cause me have a few Indian friends taking part in this year Thaipusam.

Thaipusam
Event Dates : 11th Feb 2006 to 11th Feb 2006
(Preparation of Kavadis starts approx. 7pm on the eve at Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple.)
Time of Event : 12am to 10pm
Venue: : Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple & Sri Thendayuthapani Temple

Description
Thaipusam is the most dramatic of all Hindu festivals. Celebrated during the full moon in the Hindu month of Thai, it is a day of fasting, penance and consecration.

The festival is an intense show of faith. The devotees go on a three-kilometre trek with ritualistic act of worship and penance. The main participants in trance, haul or carry beautifully decorated kavadis (containing milk pots). These are literally hooked to their bare bodies. It is a display of belief that transcends pain.

Anyone has the event itinery (like when the walk starts etc) ?

thheng71 said:
Thaipusam
Event Dates : 11th Feb 2006 to 11th Feb 2006
(Preparation of Kavadis starts approx. 7pm on the eve at Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple.)
Time of Event : 12am to 10pm
Venue: : Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple & Sri Thendayuthapani Temple

Description
Thaipusam is the most dramatic of all Hindu festivals. Celebrated during the full moon in the Hindu month of Thai, it is a day of fasting, penance and consecration.

The festival is an intense show of faith. The devotees go on a three-kilometre trek with ritualistic act of worship and penance. The main participants in trance, haul or carry beautifully decorated kavadis (containing milk pots). These are literally hooked to their bare bodies. It is a display of belief that transcends pain.

Does it mean the 3km walk start from 12am 11 feb?

for more detail information on schedule of events go here >>> www.heb.gov.sg

rEveRie said:
thanks for this. very detailed.

any idea what time and where they will be in daylight?

just found out the stopping times at the second page of the pdf file.

fokker said:
A quick check with my Indian friends.

The procession walking will start around 11 Feb (2am) and those big colourful kavadis will start rolling out at about 10am.

Hope this help, cause me have a few Indian friends taking part in this year Thaipusam.

Hi.... any idea if we will be allowed into the temple to shoot their prayer session and piercing?

Chlee said:
Hi.... any idea if we will be allowed into the temple to shoot their prayer session and piercing?
May i know which temple are they suppose to parade from?

Chlee said:

Should be allowed to shoot in temple , but confirm cannot step into their sanctum (Deity area)

maxonline said:
May i know which temple are they suppose to parade from?

Marching from Little india temple to the one at tank rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.