How a lens is made

Status
Not open for further replies.

hantsung

Jun 7, 2005
Always wondered why lens are so expensive?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7_wL0ZZi6k

I found this to be very educational. It looks like a really complicated process to make a lens. Anyone know what brand is being made?

Great and informative find! Thanks for sharing!!

Great Video.... thxs for sharing. ;)

But I'm surpise that they don't use 'clean room' condition when assembling the lens :eek:

Great Video.... thxs for sharing. ;)

But I'm surpise that they don't use 'clean room' condition when assembling the lens :eek:

So am I! I tought at least the operators should be donning smocks.

I actually caught the actual program on SCV (can't remember if it was Discovery or NatGeo) and then saw this thread. So I guess TS must have recorded it and put it up for us all? Thanks! :)

it looked kind'a low tech to me. Iirc, the individual lens element will need to undergo controlled cooling, ie allowed to cool down XX degree every day from red hot to ensure superb optical quality. :eek:

But I think the documentary looked quite old liao. Must have been shot decades ago :what:

there was a Kurosawa film made in WWII involving a lens factory ("Ichiban Utsukushiku" or "The Most Beautiful"), ... they were basically using the same process as well... :)

It was engraved on the barrel of the lens. JML Optical.
http://www.jmloptical.com/

JML Optical, a precision optics company based in Rochester, NY (where I attended university) designs, manufactures and distributes precision optical components for everything from photo copying machines to medical instruments.

JML Optical served mainly domestic (in the US, with clients such as Fuji Xerox, Eastman Kodak, General Electric, Hughes Aerospace and 3M) and international OEM customers in the commercial and government sectors with high quality optics in prototype through high volume quantities.

Status
Not open for further replies.