How 2 check whether ur newly bought dslr is totally new at not "demos"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheng89

Aug 27, 2009
i am interested to take up photography as a hobby, so i wan to buy my first dslr. but i am worry tat those shops will give me a set tat is used n tested many times n packed as new.

is there a way to spot whether the cam is used or new?

Check the seal on the box lor, so far the shop that I bought my cam from shows me that the seal is intact and the sales person breaks the seal and open the box in front of me.

another thing is initial set up... unused cameras would require you to set up time and date, language to be used, and etc...

Check the seal on the box lor, so far the shop that I bought my cam from shows me that the seal is intact and the sales person breaks the seal and open the box in front of me.

Ahh, i love the feeling of seeing a brand new unopened seal :D

Siao liao...when I bought from HN. No seal...No prompt to set date & time...:eek:.

actually, if the stupid set isn't totally brand new, and just has a few more shutter count than brand new sets.. who cares?

i know i won't..

This is a very deep question and requires very deep answer.

The plastic wrapping the camera must not be crumple crumple. More crumple means take in and out many times.

hahah... does it matter? at least it proven working :D

how can i do the shutter count check?:)

how can i do the shutter count check?:)

I had been asking this question for days untill I came across another topic where 1 of the bro here suggest this software (IExif_2.3_en [can check shutter count]). I had not try out yet...maybe you can goolge it and try out first.:)

Let me ask which is more important?

1) Getting a new set with seal nice nice but later found out that there are some internal problems with the set and have to bring for servicing?

or

2) Getting a set that is a little used and has been tested a bit to be working fine?

actually, if the stupid set isn't totally brand new, and just has a few more shutter count than brand new sets.. who cares?

i know i won't..

To me afew more SC really doesnt mean any diff...but my concern is the handling part. Did anyone who try out drop the camera...harash handling...touch the sensor...etc. this raise more concern to me.

And why I had to pay same price for a demo set...and is't it showing an absent of ethics from shop w/o informing buyer that it is a demo set.

but too bad for me...I had already bought it. be it virgin or not. Just to let other bro who come across this thread be more attentive and know what to look out for during buying.
BTW, I didnt really know there is supposed to be a seal on the box...:embrass:

i am interested to take up photography as a hobby, so i wan to buy my first dslr. but i am worry tat those shops will give me a set tat is used n tested many times n packed as new.
is there a way to spot whether the cam is used or new?

So you want to have a "virgin" (which obviously you want to test before buying) but you will deny the same to everybody else? Or do you expect all shops to have one camera of each type for "touchy touchy" sessions of wannabe buyers?
Even entry level cameras have expected shutter life times of 50,000 actuation, a couple of hundred test shots taken won't matter at all.

Let me ask which is more important?

1) Getting a new set with seal nice nice but later found out that there are some internal problems with the set and have to bring for servicing?

or

2) Getting a set that is a little used and has been tested a bit to be working fine?

Let me ask you again...
Would you want to buy my nikkor 18-105mm VR at RRP...I had test it for 5 shot only...all shot is nice. OR would you go buy a brand new one at RRP.
[Assuming you are looking for a 18-105mm VR lens]

Let me ask you again...
Would you want to buy my nikkor 18-105mm VR at RRP...I had test it for 5 shot only...all shot is nice. OR would you go buy a brand new one at RRP.
[Assuming you are looking for a 18-105mm VR lens]

If the one that has been taken with 5 shots has no visible defects, i dont mind getting that...

Therefore my answer will be "i will take whatever is given to me, provided the two sets are the same... minus the fact that one set has been tested"

So, whats your answer to my question? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.