Housing for ixus850 (Canon or Ikelite)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnQuah

Apr 22, 2004
Hougang
I intend to get a ixus850 to do u/w photography. Do you guys recommend me to buy the original canon casing or ikealite case?

(*newbie in u/w photography*)

ShawnQuah

Apr 22, 2004
Hougang
Canon

then save for a camera with manual function then get ikelite housing
Hi

Do you have any model of camera to recommend which will fit this 3 criteria
1. Compact
2. Have Manual Function
3. Have Underwater Case

~Dolphin~

Nov 13, 2005
North
If you are into diving, ikelite housing offers better protection if its used correctly. However, its also heavier and more expensive than canon housing. I have an ikelite housing for my compact cam which has not leaked before. The canon housings that my friends used have leakages.

manta30

Aug 4, 2004
Hi

1. Compact
2. Have Manual Function
3. Have Underwater Case
canon 640 fits criteria 2 and 3 ;)

foxwagon

Mar 13, 2005
Hi

1. Compact
2. Have Manual Function
3. Have Underwater Case
Since you are already thinking of Canon, try Canon A640. Some friends just bought them & had no regrets, one of them even already had a Nikon DSLR. It runs on 4AA batteries & the turn around time is pretty fast, & you can standardise all your batteries/charger with your dive torch/camera strobes. Latest price is around $560.

For casing the Ikelite ones are known to be of better quality (of course the price is higher).

ShawnQuah

Apr 22, 2004
Hougang
Since you are already thinking of Canon, try Canon A640. Some friends just bought them & had no regrets, one of them even already had a Nikon DSLR. It runs on 4AA batteries & the turn around time is pretty fast, & you can standardise all your batteries/charger with your dive torch/camera strobes. Latest price is around $560.

For casing the Ikelite ones are known to be of better quality (of course the price is higher).
I actually don't have a particular brand in mind. Canon was jus a recommendation from my friends

I currently own a KM x60 with u/w case... not very satisfied with the output u/w.

Do you have other brand/model to recommend?

lestertrinstan

Aug 19, 2006
I understand fr others that Ixus 850 has manual function...
The manual functions are limited on it. However, for macro photography, the 850 is quite impressive.

But given the price factor, you are paying more for less functions because it is a smaller camera. If you are really into underwater photography, get a camera that offers more control.

Canon 640 as mentioned is not too bad for photography

kthan

May 6, 2003
www.picturecd.com
seriously i think people who get the prosumer cams will end up shooting more land shots then u/w shots. So i would go with what i really want for a land camera, and then make sure it has an underwater housing. Period!

so if u want 6X optical zoom, IS, then make sure the cam has them. A710 IS?

for underwater, all u need (i need) are full manual controls and RAW. Having a compact camera makes no diff after putting it in a housing and adding 2 strobes. I seriously believe Foxwagon, Lovells19, Photosmart, beivied, antacid and a bunch of others here will give u many decent pics given any camera system to shoot in. The key is to shoot within the limitations of yr system.

Also generalising that Canon housings tend to leak and Ikelites' don't is :nono:
I own only Ikelite housings now but i have also flooded my cams. Remember the old saying : it's the photographer, and not the equipment...... So Dolphin, your canon friends are people who just have more money to burn.....:angel:

Lastly, in case Canon reads this, I am more than happy to add Canon to my equipment list if u want me to provide product feedback :)

~Dolphin~

Nov 13, 2005
North
seriously i think people who get the prosumer cams will end up shooting more land shots then u/w shots. So i would go with what i really want for a land camera, and then make sure it has an underwater housing. Period!

so if u want 6X optical zoom, IS, then make sure the cam has them. A710 IS?

for underwater, all u need (i need) are full manual controls and RAW. Having a compact camera makes no diff after putting it in a housing and adding 2 strobes. I seriously believe Foxwagon, Lovells19, Photosmart, beivied, antacid and a bunch of others here will give u many decent pics given any camera system to shoot in. The key is to shoot within the limitations of yr system.

Also generalising that Canon housings tend to leak and Ikelites' don't is :nono:
I own only Ikelite housings now but i have also flooded my cams. Remember the old saying : it's the photographer, and not the equipment...... So Dolphin, your canon friends are people who just have more money to burn.....:angel:

Lastly, in case Canon reads this, I am more than happy to add Canon to my equipment list if u want me to provide product feedback :)
thats why i said if the ikelite housing 'is used correctly'..... since the ikelite housing is meant to be built to withstand the pressure at a greater depth than the canon housing... such that even if its not brought down to that depth, the risk of flooding is lower, doesnt mean that it will not get flooded. if the user is not careful, even a strand of hair can cause it to get flooded.

CanonEOS

Sep 26, 2006
Hougang
Hey Shawn,
If you want a camera to fit all ur critiea, Powershot A630/640/G7 will do very well for your underwater shots. The flash recharge and battery life for the above three camera are very good. All three have available underwater case up to 40m.

antacid

Sep 25, 2005
New York, Singapore
www.colouredshots.com
try getting a strobe instead? not sure if changing camera = better u/w shots!

working within the limits of the camera should give better pictures too. maybe if you can tell us what you're unsatisfied with, we could probly try and help you save a couple hundred dollars. hehe

lovells19

Oct 31, 2003
Deep Deep in the sea
www.flickr.com
get a Canon G7

:) fits all ur 3 criterial.

functions are usually limited by the size of your camera,
most cameras have underwater housing now

Ikelite housing will be never compact enf for you if you want something compact, if you want something really small then get a exlim from casio, have seen some very impressive photos and video clips from it.

jelimon

Jan 22, 2007
i'm an ikelite convert with a A640. never looked back since ;)

cityofangels

Jul 28, 2006
East-side
www.flickr.com
I recently bought the Canon UW Housing for my Ixus 900Ti. I was contemplating on getting the Ikelite housing but thought I would save the $$ and get a DSLR soon. ;) Can't wait to try out the camera & UW housing for my Bali trip this evening. :)

liquidforce

Sep 19, 2003
18th level
Visit site
Hi

1. Compact
2. Have Manual Function
3. Have Underwater Case
A710is :lovegrin: Been using it since last year september.. so far so good. Just slightly bigger than a ixus but with manual functions.. cheaper somemore!!

Status
Not open for further replies.