House of Leaves - the book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jess

Dec 27, 2004
Portland, OR, USA
www.geocities.com
Has anyone read this book? One of the characters in it is a photographer. He has this award winning photo that they describe a few times in the book. The description of this photograph is amazing and makes me want to see it so bad. I think it's one of the major influences that has gotten me interested in photography. I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts on this.

For those that have no read the book I'd like the quote it, however I challenge anyone to find the right passage in THAT book. Anyway, I'll do my best to desribe it from memory. The setting is a third world country. Starving citizens are making their way across a barren landscape. It is so dry that the land has cracked open like a mosaic, making it trecherous to travel. The image is of a young girl who has collapsed, partched and starving, and is on the verge of death. Not far away is a vulture, waiting for the inevitable. The key to the photograph, per the book, is Navidson's use of negative space. Over the girls shoulder there is an empty expanse, the implication is that this is where death is stalking up behind her.

I so wish I could find the passage and I'll try to look. Comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.