Hot pixel mapping for the C-2100 UZ & other too

syncmaster

Mar 15, 2002
Greece
two.xthost.info
This is just a report of one (the first?) successful DIY hot pixel remapping done on an Olympus C-2100 UZ. Please don't do this at home unless you know exactly what you are doing and why.

For anyone interested, the utility can be found at:
http://e2500.narod.ru/ccd_defect_e.htm

Tip: You need the software ,and one serial cable, the USB cable does not do the job .
Further info : http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1008&message=6023604

:cool:

syncmaster said:
This is just a report of one (the first?) successful DIY hot pixel remapping done on an Olympus C-2100 UZ. Please don't do this at home unless you know exactly what you are doing and why.

For anyone interested, the utility can be found at:
http://e2500.narod.ru/ccd_defect_e.htm

Tip: You need the software ,and one serial cable, the USB cable does not do the job .
Further info : http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1008&message=6023604

:cool:

Hello there, long time no see. :)

just tried the program on my 200uz the other day, overall i'm very please with the result. But at the extreme of 16 sec shutter, "black frame test" pix will look as if they have "dust" on them at 100iso and worst at 400iso

Xpose said:
just tried the program on my 200uz the other day, overall i'm very please with the result. But at the extreme of 16 sec shutter, "black frame test" pix will look as if they have "dust" on them at 100iso and worst at 400iso

At 16 sec, I think having a bit of "dust" is norm. ;)

The CCD of my 3 yrs old Uzi recently developed a bright red pixel, smacked right in the middle of all my pix, and I had a hell of a time editing those wif PS.

Anyway, since my warranty is long gone, I was thinking what the hack, and it's a drain on the wallet just to snd the cam to Olympus for recalibratioon, might as well give it a shot, if it doesnt work, then it's high time to change cam. Hee hee.....

So here's the result - just tried it wif my Uzi....quite pleased with the results. It really cleans up all the brighter ones...now at up till 1/2 sec exposure, at ISO100/200/400, no more blemishes. Thumbs up!!! :D

lol....my c2100 ccd also kenna a very bright red dot somewhere in the middle, althought its only a dot but its very obvious....wonder if it a common trend among the c2100 coz othe than my personal c2100 kenna the "red dot", my office one also kenna one and my friend one also kenna, somemore all these three camera are bought around the same time two years ago, my office one and mine at the same time, my friend's one earlier by a week. Anyway, just change your camera lah, so old already, its hinting you to retire it to a backup camera position already.....I already change from c2100uz to panasonic FZ10, to a D60 now(within a month after buying the FZ10) but still. c2100uz is still fun to use sometimes. :thumbsup:

Xpose said:
lol....my c2100 ccd also kenna a very bright red dot somewhere in the middle, althought its only a dot but its very obvious....wonder if it a common trend among the c2100 coz othe than my personal c2100 kenna the "red dot", my office one also kenna one and my friend one also kenna, somemore all these three camera are bought around the same time two years ago, my office one and mine at the same time, my friend's one earlier by a week. Anyway, just change your camera lah, so old already, its hinting you to retire it to a backup camera position already.....I already change from c2100uz to panasonic FZ10, to a D60 now(within a month after buying the FZ10) but still. c2100uz is still fun to use sometimes. :thumbsup:

Maybe lor...but the good thing abt this kinda old DC is tat u used it for so long, if really spoil liao also wun so heart pain wor...hee hee.

Anyway, I took a couple hundred pix for a fren's wedding last month....seems that she preferred the ones taken by me using the C-2100UZ over those by a pro (costed her a few hundred Riggits, no less!) using a Canon DSLR. Hee hee...maybe that's cos I like to lurk ard and take snapshots of 'em unaware from afar, more natural that way! ;)

I just tried the cpix software with my C3040Z and would like to report that it works wonders! :thumbsup:

Pixel reader detected a 16 defective pixels and after remapping, all of them are gone and night shots just look fantastic!! As nice as what the C5050/5060 can do for up to 8s long exposure. No need for NR anymore! :)

Considering that one need to pay Olympus a service charge for pixel remapping, this is simply fantastic!

Must use the serial cable though, software doesn't work with USB cable for Olympus cameras.

I will try it out on my friend's C3030Z and report my findings again.

nad said:
I just tried the cpix software with my C3040Z and would like to report that it works wonders! :thumbsup:

Pixel reader detected a 16 defective pixels and after remapping, all of them are gone and night shots just look fantastic!! As nice as what the C5050/5060 can do for up to 8s long exposure. No need for NR anymore! :)

Considering that one need to pay Olympus a service charge for pixel remapping, this is simply fantastic!

Must use the serial cable though, software doesn't work with USB cable for Olympus cameras.

I will try it out on my friend's C3030Z and report my findings again.

Thanks, please keep us posted. Guess it gives a new lease of life to the old DC eh? :)

Jayan said:
Thanks, please keep us posted. Guess it gives a new lease of life to the old DC eh? :)

Yes, with this pixel mapper software, my C3040Z can take night shots as well as the latest digicams and without NR, that is impressive and night shots are very crisp.

An update, I tried cpix on my friend's C3030Z and expectedly, it works!

She was so happy that she can take proper night shots now.

However, the C3030Z is only 100% noise free for up to 4s exposure (vs the C3040Z's 8s), which lead me to believe that the CCD used in both cameras are somewhat different, contrary to what the specs tell us. This could be one of the improvements the C3040Z has over the C3030Z, image quality in low light.

Still, pretty impressive stuff. :D

Link doesn't work. :sweat: :sweat: I take nightshots a lot. Any1 kind enough to send me the program, and guide me a bit for my old but trusty 3040Z? thanks a lot!
jeseeme@yahoo.com

Hello Jayan, Its good to see that my post, finally become handy to someone. :)

About your note, (long time no see).
You have right about it, the last 18 months I am unemployed, and I have cut down many things that was called as extra or not necessary expenses, so my Internet line was one of those.

I still have my camera, the C2100 is one amazing device, bountiful – practical and a proven performer.
I learned photography with it, and now that I have the knowledge to judge, I do not find anything to comment on the C2100, so it looks to me, like a happy marriage. :heart:

My camera had 2 years warranty, 15 days before the expiration, I send the camera for service, due a green stacked pixel.
Today the camera is almost 3 years old, loaded with new perfect CCD.
5500 pictures in the counter, and not a scratch on it. :angel:

I will always consider the purchase of this camera, as one of the smarter moves, that I have done in my life.

Take care my friend, I will keep visiting the BBS, from time to time. ;)

syncmaster said:
Hello Jayan, Its good to see that my post, finally become handy to someone. :)

About your note, (long time no see).
You have right about it, the last 18 months I am unemployed, and I have cut down many things that was called as extra or not necessary expenses, so my Internet line was one of those.

I still have my camera, the C2100 is one amazing device, bountiful – practical and a proven performer.
I learned photography with it, and now that I have the knowledge to judge, I do not find anything to comment on the C2100, so it looks to me, like a happy marriage. :heart:

My camera had 2 years warranty, 15 days before the expiration, I send the camera for service, due a green stacked pixel.
Today the camera is almost 3 years old, loaded with new perfect CCD.
5500 pictures in the counter, and not a scratch on it. :angel:

I will always consider the purchase of this camera, as one of the smarter moves, that I have done in my life.

Take care my friend, I will keep visiting the BBS, from time to time. ;)

Long time no "see"....hope you're doing well. Just took the C2100UZ for a couple of wedding shoots for 2 of my friends, they asked me to be the back-up photographer....seems that the shots I took are preferred by the brides over those taken by professional. Maybe they are just saying that so I wont feel bad. Hee hee....take care! ;)

Jayan said:
Long time no "see"....hope you're doing well. Just took the C2100UZ for a couple of wedding shoots for 2 of my friends, they asked me to be the back-up photographer....seems that the shots I took are preferred by the brides over those taken by professional. Maybe they are just saying that so I wont feel bad. Hee hee....take care! ;)

!! so I wont feel bad !!

No way ... I have shoot a wedding too , i got a good spot 5 meters away from the action , all the inside shots was with the onboard flash , most of my shots was 9 to 10 quality .
I was also as back-up photographer , i took about 80 shots :)

anyone knows where to get the serial cable?

Make your own serial cable ... :cool:

Details here ..

homemadeuziserialcablec.jpg