Hot Mirror Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

roygoh

Jan 18, 2002
Northwest
Visit site
Hi,

I have read different views on the effectiveness of hot mirror filters. Does anyone here has experience using one and care to share your experience?

In case you are wondering, a hot mirror filter is used to cut IR from reaching the CCD. Even though there is already a hot mirror filter built in in most cameras, some claim that adding one more filter (over the lens) further enhances colour accuracy.

I am considering to get a Tiffen Standard Hot Mirror filter (67mm) for my 18-70mm AFS kit lens. Any experience with this partiluar filter or would you recommend any other brands? Heard that B+W and Rodenstock also have such filters.

Thanks!

Roy

Is your camera also susceptible to it? So far, those worse affected are the D70 and D2h owners.

Actually I am using D1X....have not noticed anything so far...but these things are like this...you may be feeling everything is OK until you see the improvement you can get...sigh...

My colleague uses D70 and he is praising his recent purchase of Rodenstock IR cut filter like it is the best thing that has ever happened to him...

roygoh said:
Actually I am using D1X....have not noticed anything so far...but these things are like this...you may be feeling everything is OK until you see the improvement you can get...sigh...

My colleague uses D70 and he is praising his recent purchase of Rodenstock IR cut filter like it is the best thing that has ever happened to him...

Well, none of the IR cut filters can be considered loose change...even the tiffen ones. I've the D70 and it suffers from IR contamination whenever there are strong light sources or incandescent light. Blacks become brownish and may even be blotchy. However, I'm not going to bother popping filters on each of my lenses and swapping them around during shoots. Perhaps it is a viable option in studio or a controlled shoot, but I'd rather change to a body that isn't affected as a more permanent solution.

It's an irritant, but can be handled during post proprocessing usually.

Zerstorer said:
Well, none of the IR cut filters can be considered loose change...even the tiffen ones. I've the D70 and it suffers from IR contamination whenever there are strong light sources or incandescent light. Blacks become brownish and may even be blotchy. However, I'm not going to bother popping filters on each of my lenses and swapping them around during shoots. Perhaps it is a viable option in studio or a controlled shoot, but I'd rather change to a body that isn't affected as a more permanent solution.

It's an irritant, but can be handled during post proprocessing usually.

I see...thanks for the info.:)

Tried to google for any discussions on whether D1X is as affected by IR contamination as the D70 but could not find anything. Any other D1X users care to comment on this?

I think the best thing to do is to borrow the Rodenstock from my colleague and do an A/B test on my camera.

- Roy

Better not to see it, cause once you do, you see it in every shot.;)
I was considering the B+W 486 bandpass filter once...but the price and thought of swapping filters for all of my lenses put me off.

Zerstorer said:
Better not to see it, cause once you do, you see it in every shot.;)
I was considering the B+W 486 bandpass filter once...but the price and thought of swapping filters for all of my lenses put me off.

Quite right...if it hasn't bothered me yet, why bother?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.